Calorie-burn confused

Options
2»

Replies

• 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting a HRM with the chest strap. It is the most accurate estimation of your burn. Machines and MFP waaaaaay, way, way overestimate...
  • thelittlefox
    Options
    Aaaand this is why I refuse to eat calories I've burned through exercise. I really have no idea how accurate any machine I use is, or what MFP says, so I just abstain. I can't really afford a reliable calorie counter.

But yeah, neither of those readings sound accurate, although the watch is probably closer. You're better off playing it safe and going with the lower number until you get the chest strap. Hope that works out better for you! :)
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
  • dmoisson
    dmoisson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    From what I have learned I can burn about 1000 calories/hour doing fairly vigorous exercise. (or there abouts)
    So 30 minutes for you would be about 450 or so I would guess. You would be a little less than me because it
    looks like I might weigh a bit more than you and weight a huge factor. If I only burned 300/hour doing
    vigorous exercise I would be in serious trouble! Just my .02
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Did you input your weight on the machine?
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Are you consistently checking your pulse rate with the button during your workout? I have a sportline HRM and that is the only way to get a fairly accurate reading. The paperwork says something along the lines of "the more often you check heart rate you get a more accurate calorie burn count"... on the model I have, that means pressing the infernal button several times during my workout. Which is a pain... I want a fitbit or body media. or at the very least, a HRM with chest strap

Also, when I had to change the battery in my sportline, it hasn't worked properly since... if returning it is still an option, you might want to look into another brand
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ok first off...DONT just go with the machine/mfp because they're higher/you like the number better...those both only give you an estimation based on collected data for your height and weight. Especially MFP doesnt take into account HOW hard you actually worked out. For your HRM...first off, like they said...the chest straps are the biggest part...if it has one, make sure you're wetting the strap thoroughly and it stayed in place. Also make sure all of your stats are set up correctly. If you DO decide to go based on MFP/the machine I would not eat all of those exercise calories back.
  • kfayjay
    kfayjay Posts: 7
    Options
    I know a lot of ppl like the Polar brand...I am one that did not. It was too small for me to read and also the light was not bright enough and also had too many other bells and whistles on it that I would never use. I have the Sportline brand and I find it just as reliable as the Polars and cheaper! I have had the ones without the chest strap which were accurate and am now using the Sportline hrm with the strap. I do find the strap to be more accurate than without. The one I have is the Sportline Duo. You can check it out online and also may want to compare it with the Polar as to your personal needs. Also with your own make sure that all the stats are registered in it for you. Good Luck!
  • beautifullybold1
    beautifullybold1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I say use the info from the machine it is probably the most accurate.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Machines are only good if you put in weight/age etc I think otherwise they overestimate or do the default numbers.

150 sounds low but 470 for 30 mins might be high. I have a BodyMediaFit and I think it's the best, but it's a personal preference. Second the other posters re: the chest strap.
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My experience comparing machines to the HRM is that the elliptical over calculates by about 1/3. The treadmill has been right on target for the most part