Math Formula for how fast you walk?

Options
Hi All. I need help. I do not have a HRM; yes I want one but have to wait until summer for expense reasons. But I want to know how to log my walking properly on here. How do I know if I walked 2.0 or 2.5 MPH? Please be nice I am not good at math. So tonight I walked 1 mile in 30 minutes and I walked fast (for me). I am 367 and 5'8. How do I log this? Thank you for the help!

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I need help. I do not have a HRM; yes I want one but have to wait until summer for expense reasons. But I want to know how to log my walking properly on here. How do I know if I walked 2.0 or 2.5 MPH? Please be nice I am not good at math. So tonight I walked 1 mile in 30 minutes and I walked fast (for me). I am 367 and 5'8. How do I log this? Thank you for the help!

1 mile in 30 mins is 2 miles in 60 mins.

2mph
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options

1 mile in 30 mins is 2 miles in 60 mins.

2mph

Wow, duh. lol Do I feel silly now. Thank you for your help. I am going to have to start speeding up I guess!
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    don't feel silly, it can really do your head in at times all this figuring out of things.

I've used Google maps to work out mine at times for the similar reasons. I didn't even know how far I had walked, only the time it took me so it was really hard to even start working it out.

So, I put my house as the start and next doors as the finish in 'get directions'.
    Then i kept moving the line until it marked the route i had walked. Make sure you have it set to WALK not drive.
    I then knew how far I had walked, 2 k's. I knew it took me 30 minutes so voila, 4 k's an hour.
    I then have to change it to miles unfortunately because of the data base but it worked.
    GOOGLE MAPS, GREAT TOOL
  • slparsaca
    slparsaca Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Here is a walking calculator. You can put in how long you walked and how far and it will calculate how fast you were walking.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

I don't know what I'd do with the internet calculators lol
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Do you have a iPhone or Android phone? You can use either Endomondo or Runkeeeper to track distance and calories.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Rate = distance divided by time. To write your rate in mph, do:

60*(distance in miles) / (minutes walked). The 60 is because there are 60 minutes in an hour, but it is easier for most of us to think of, say, 25 minutes, than 5/12 of an hour. :P

So your 1 mile in 30 minutes would be 60*1/30 = 2 mph.
    If you sped up and walked 1 mile in 25 minutes, it would be 60*1/25 = 2.4 mph.