Running/walking shoe recommendations

Options
My days as a foot model are growing shorter and shorter as the shoes I am walking (running a little...taking it slow) in are giving me horrid blisters and calluses. Any recommendations? Anyone using those toe shoes?

Thanks!

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I like New Balance and Brooks personally for running. Best bet would be to hit up a local running shop to try on different models and widths. Most running stores will let you hop up on the treadmill for a lil while to see how you like them. They also usually watch how you walk and move and can make great recommendations as well.
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree that a running store would be the ideal. However, if that's not available to you, I LOVE my Asics GS-2160's. The Runner's World website also has a great shoe comparison tool which can help you narrow down your choices.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a running shop. A good one.

Little things like the lasts used differ from brand to brand. For example, I *cannot* wear Adidas running shoes unless they're the trail series. They just fit funny. Saucony? Perfect.

And like Danny_Boy13 said, they'll also assess your body mechanics and recommend based on that.

Expect to be sold pricey socks also.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    go to Famous Footwear and pull out all the shoes your size an try them all on! that is the one and only way to get ones that fit well and that have the support you need. I tried different shoes over and over again to no avail. Finally I just went in and pulled all the shoes my size down and did just that....I thought the over priced shoes would be the best, but really ASICS Gel have worked the best for me. Put them on and walk, walk walk around the store! you are paying for them, you deserve to make sure you get the ones you deserve! You dont have to pay high prices, but I do suggest do NOT go cheap either! mine were 84 dollars and I have found that price to be just about right since I am running through them every 6 months.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Everyone's foot/gait is different. Go to a specialty running store and have them do a gait analysis and fit you for shoes. Most stores don't charge for this. Expect to pay around $100 for a good pair of running shoes. It's steep to some people, but your body will thank you later.

I personally prefer my Brooks because I have wide feet and Brooks have a very wide toe box and the ones I have give me LOTS of support!

My husband mainly wears Brooks, but for shorter distances he does train in Vibrams (the toe shoes) sometimes.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I just got a pair of Asics running shoes. They have the gel heels. I love them!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    And DON'T go to Famous Footwear, Foot Locker, or any of the mall type retail stores - their employees don't know jack about running or running shoes most of the time...
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't run in anything other than my vibram fivefingers (no more back, knee or ankle pain). I have the KSO version.
  • thesporg
    thesporg Posts: 2
    Options
    I have had the "toe shoes" for a bit over a year now and love them. You do have to strike your foot differently but it will work muscles in your legs that you didn't know you had. I switch back and for between them (Vibram Flows a.k.a. toe shoes) and a pair of running shoes. Lately I have been almost exclusively using the Vibrams.

As Danny_Boy13 mentioned go find a good running shoe store. They will watch you walk and help you find a pair that works for you.

When I first started with the Vibrams I had a hot spot on the ball of my foot. The only time I get a blister is if I actually run barefoot on the treadmill. I mentioned above that your muscles will feel different, well your foot will as well. It took me a couple of weeks for that to build up. Now I prefer running with them compared to tennis shoes. If you are wondering if they hold up well I will say yes. I take mine out on the road as well as the treadmill and the soles seem to hold up fine. I don't know how many miles they will last nor how many I have put on them. I don't really like to run, so I do 30-40 minute jogs a couple of times a week.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I agree that a running store would be the ideal. However, if that's not available to you, I LOVE my Asics GS-2160's. The Runner's World website also has a great shoe comparison tool which can help you narrow down your choices.

I went to 2 different running stores (each of them over 35 miles from my house). At the first one, the girl was no help at all. The second one was really helpful, but didn't have anything in my size. So I ended up asking my doctor at my checkup and he suggested Runner's World website (like the above poster said). I looked on there and then went to Sports Authority to try some on. Found out that Asics GS-2160 fit me great and came home and ordered from from Zappos.com for cheaper. They should arrive here tomorrow :)
  • dyellz
    dyellz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I work as a letter carrier and have tried most shoes. I havent however tried the vibram toe ones yet. But I really love my saucony triumph 8 shoes. I have a pretty neutral foot and I love the cushioning they have. I walk about 10 km a day and my feet never hurt!

I also LOVE merrells, they are a sort of hiking shoe. SO comfy. If you are just walking then they may be a great option for you as well. But with running, you need a running shoe.
  • biznoche
    biznoche Posts: 43
    Options
    http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html

I got this link off of Pinterest a few days ago about how to chose the best running shoe for you, and I found it to be really helpful! Good luck!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Runner's World always has good reviews of the latest models. That would be a good start. THEN go to a professional store that specializes in running and get fitted. Most reputable places will video and analyze your gait on the treadmill.

Personally, I like the Nike Lunarlon series...specifically the Lunarfly. Very lightweight with great support and a soft landing that's not too cushy.
  • dida_57
    dida_57 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love to run with my Brooks and Pearl Izumi's. If there's a running store near you such as Road Runner then you can get help from them to figure out what type of shoe you need. Also a good pair of running socks can help prevent blisters.
  • annam25
    annam25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't run in anything other than my vibram fivefingers (no more back, knee or ankle pain). I have the KSO version.

I can't run in anything but Vibram Five fingers.. Other shoes kill my feet! (my feet are wide)
  • Bpothik13
    Bpothik13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! Looks like I will have some homework to do when I am on spring break next week!
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    i love my brooks
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My days as a foot model are growing shorter and shorter as the shoes I am walking (running a little...taking it slow) in are giving me horrid blisters and calluses. Any recommendations? Anyone using those toe shoes?

Thanks!

I've been curious about some of the barefoot / minimalist shoes too but haven't taken the plunge.

If you're getting blisters your shoes don't fit properly and some fairly recent research at the University of Calgary has suggested that, despite all the stability, motion control and cushioning hoopla the most important factor in picking the right shoe for you is fit and comfort. If you can see a shop that specializes in running, go mid-week (you're more likely to be served by a full time staffer who may actually know what they're talking about).
  • Bpothik13
    Bpothik13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I've been curious about some of the barefoot / minimalist shoes too but haven't taken the plunge.

If you're getting blisters your shoes don't fit properly and some fairly recent research at the University of Calgary has suggested that, despite all the stability, motion control and cushioning hoopla the most important factor in picking the right shoe for you is fit and comfort. If you can see a shop that specializes in running, go mid-week (you're more likely to be served by a full time staffer who may actually know what they're talking about).
    [/quote]

The funny thing is that the cross-trainers (that are NOT top of the line) I bought are otherwise comfortable and fine for jeans day at work or casual getting around; when I decided to step up my game and really get out there is when they started to fail me. I suppose I shouldve thought it through a little more carefully....just the same, I am thrilled with the responses here! Thanks!