TO ALL THOSE WISHING FOR NEW FEATURES ON MY FITNESS PAL

Options
fitzie63
fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
This morning, I read a thread on here that had a long, nearly endless, "laundry list" of everything they would like to see as additional features on here. Some items on that long list would be nice but perhaps we should be considering the site developers'/owners' before we start making demands on their time and generosity of developing and maintaining this great site:

IMPORTANT FOR ALL TO REMEMBER:

1) This site was developed by Mike and Albert Lee originally for their own personal use to become healthier. They did not have to share their innovative program with the entire world.
2) Mike and Albert both have very responsible jobs and families and they're doing this as VOLUNTEERS
3) This site is FREE

:)

Replies

• seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You are so right!!! I think we should be thankful for such a wonderful site with wonderful people that will give their time and effort to make it work for so many of us...

They have made this place AWESOME !!
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    This needs to be said, and said often.

We all need to be a bit more grateful before making demands for new features. Building a new feature isn't as simple as one would think. If anyone does have the technical expertise, offer to do it for them.
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this the other day. Very well put. Thanks for reminding all of us of their generosity! :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    All true, but also, they make a lot of money from advertising on this site, so really it's in their interests as well as ours to keep the site running smoothly and listen to suggestions. Just because WE don't pay, doesn't make it a charity.

Note I said suggestions, not demands
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You are right - thanks to them. It's an awesome site!
    and I love your name sexforjaffacakes!!!
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This morning, I read a thread on here that had a long, nearly endless, "laundry list" of everything they would like to see as additional features on here. Some items on that long list would be nice but perhaps we should be considering the site developers'/owners' before we start making demands on their time and generosity of developing and maintaining this great site:

IMPORTANT FOR ALL TO REMEMBER:

1) This site was developed by Mike and Albert Lee originally for their own personal use to become healthier. They did not have to share their innovative program with the entire world.
    2) Mike and Albert both have very responsible jobs and families and they're doing this as VOLUNTEERS
    3) This site is FREE

:)

AMEN!!!!!!! I am so grateful for this site, mainly because it's free! I don't know if I would have even begun my weight loss/healthier life if I had had to fork over money every month. :)
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I really like the site too and I'm glad they spent the time to get it going.

Perhaps though, they could use some of that "generosity" to hire a full time developer from the money they make from all the advertisements to continue to make the site meet the needs of their users.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If only we had a like button...

Nah. I'm kidding. I completely agree.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Y'know, while that's true ...

I don't see an issue with suggestions. How are they going to know what people want if we don't tell them? Improving the features may bring in more users which may increase advertising revenue.

Now there's a real difference between constructive suggestions and 'U SUCK BECUZ U DON'T HAVE ...' which should be kept in mind, but that's another issue.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    This is very true! Thanks for posting!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    This is a free site, to which I'm grateful. However, the suggestions made should be listened to. Every site should be upgraded from time to time. And they do have an income from advertisment.
  • Myles_D23
    Myles_D23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Perhaps though, they could use some of that "generosity" to hire a full time developer from the money they make from all the advertisements to continue to make the site meet the needs of their users.

Agreed.

They also need to know that another site could come along and be what we are all looking for. So unless they start looking into suggestions by people on this site, they may end up like Myspace...
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Completely agree!
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely grateful for this site! I knew it was the key to the new Me as soon as I came across it! I actually got chills it was that great of a moment :smile: :smile: :smile: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • kimiec
    kimiec Posts: 62
    Options
    To be honest I like this site because it is a simple site. I have been on other sites that are free and while they are nice all the updates become a bit much. I am not saying that a few upgrades wouldn't be ok but if this is done all the time the impovements can become more of a pain then a (well improvement). I hope no matter if or what they do they keep the site simple.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hate to be a curmudgeon but I have to say that this site, while I love it, is getting long in the tooth and needs a makeover. I think the original founders don't have the wherewithal to move it forward to a professional level, sad to say. There are too many basic things wrong that need to be fixed (that have needed fixing for almost two years now)... I don't have much hope that they will ever be addressed.

There is no "charity" aspect at all to this web site. It's a commercial venture, and I'm sure the "guys" are making a pretty decent living at it. The trouble is they lack a professional approach and imagination. Probably an investment is needed to bring it up to the next level. Some "painfully" honest consultancy couldn't hurt either.
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options

Agreed.

They also need to know that another site could come along and be what we are all looking for. So unless they start looking into suggestions by people on this site, they may end up like Myspace...

Yes, but no one wants the site to go down hill like facebook with the constant annoying changes forced upon the users at the sake of the users fustration. This site does the job its needed to do, and the community support among members more than makes up for any lacking features.

But I do agree with you that sometimes change can be a good thing And some people might want more functions or features, so I'm not trying to bash anyones opinions here, I just hope that if they do decide to ever make changes that they allow people to opt out or customize what changes they want or don't want.

Over all I am very satisfy with mtp and recommend it for all my friends.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Why have a SUGGESTION section if we can't make SUGGESTIONS?