Calories burned?!?!?!

Options
Okay so if I enter my workout and number of minutes on MFP it'll say that for 60 min at about 3.0mph I'll burn apprx 364 calories, my HRM says apprx 1000. I'm wodering if anyone has had a similar result were one was way different than the other? I use what my HRM says, but what if it's wrong?

Replies

• Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    1000 seems extremely high for walking 3mph for an hour...

i'd say get your HRM checked out. 364 or whatver that other number was sounds more like it...
  • jeterbeater
    Options
    1000 calories seems extremely high
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    I agree that you HRM sounds high. The rule of thumb for an average sized person (whatever that is!!) is that you burn about 100 calories/mile jogging, so three miles = 300 calories, if jogging. Also, the bigger you are, the more calories it takes to move your body, so adjust up or down slightly, but 1000 for an hour of walking sounds very high to me.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    But when I eat all those exercise cals that I think I'm earning I'm still loosing, if this was high wouldn't I be gaining? I'd hate to buy a new HRM just to test my old one, I've searched the internet for formulas to see what they say and all are different, one site said 996 another said 524 and one said 300. I know it's how hard your heart is working. So if someone is around 260 and uses a HRM could you tell me what you burn apprx??? Thanks!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing doing what you're doing, then go with it! Even if it is more than what you're actually burning during those workouts, your body seems to want it.

You can always make adjustments later if you start to stall or whatever. But for now, just be sure to adjust your weight on your HRM each week because he burn does go down as you lose weight. Maybe it will even out in the end.
  • OhLaceyOh
    OhLaceyOh Posts: 30
    Options
    1000 seems way too high theres no way
    i sugest geting a new one or getting it checked out
  • ktswick
    ktswick Posts: 3
    Options
    For a reference, when I jog on the elliptical machine for 20 mins it says that I have burned between 150-200 calories, depending on how fast I go-- therefore I think 1000 is really high. Are you sure it is on the American calorie setting? In other countries calories are in the metric system and are slightly different, I believe.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Think I may have to buy a new one :(
  • jessie1
    jessie1 Posts: 46
    Options
    1000 calories for walking is very high! I do a very intense, high impact kickboxing class once a week for an hour and I only burn 700 calories in that class. So, it seems pretty unlikely that you are burning 1000 calories by walking. I would definatley get it checked out! Good luck!
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    There is definitely something wrong with your monitor. As a point of reference, you'd have to be running for about an hour and a half at 6.0 miles an hour in order to burn that many calories ...
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I burn about 400 calories/hour of walking at a 4mph pace. Which HRM do you have?
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing doing what you're doing, then go with it! Even if it is more than what you're actually burning during those workouts, your body seems to want it.

You can always make adjustments later if you start to stall or whatever. But for now, just be sure to adjust your weight on your HRM each week because he burn does go down as you lose weight. Maybe it will even out in the end.

I agree with ghanie. If you are still losing, go with what you are doing. When you hit a plateau and don't lose any weight for 3 weeks or more, then adjust what you are doing. For every 10 lbs or so you lose, you will burn about 25 -30 less calories per 30 minutes of exercise. Somewhere in that vicinity. Your HRM should reflect that. So if you are 100 lbs more than someone smaller, you will burn 250 -300 more calories per 30 minutes of exercise than they will. ( I did a lot of research to figure this out. I checked how much I would burn walking at a certain pace at current weight, 10 less, then 20 less. Then I found a site that calculated for a whole bunch of activities at once and did it for 10 lb incriments. That web site is www.am-i-fat.com/calorie_calculator.html if anyone is interested.)
  • mrsparker
    mrsparker Posts: 12
    Options
    Are you wearing it all day or only for the hour of walking. I wear mine all day i burn 1020 at work and 400 doing circiut training an hour, your body burn calories doing nothing so at the end of my day it say i burn around 2200-2300 calories a day. I have the PolarF6. Make sure you have it programed right before you buy another one.:smile: