C25K troubleshooting...or panicking...

Options
I've been doing the Couch-to-5k program for 6 weeks...finished the 20 minute run at the end of Week 5, although it was a struggle. Started Week 6, Day 1 which is 8 run-5 run-8run, with a 3 minute walk in between, and did that with no real struggle. Day 2 involved (2) 10 minute runs with 3 minute walk in between; i did the first 10 minutes and then faltered and didn't finish running the last 10 minutes. Since then, i haven't been able to stay determined enough to push through more than 3-4 minutes of running at a time.
Should i bump myself back to Week 4 and build back up? I'm moderately overweight still, so I'm thinking maybe I just burned out, after doing too much too soon? Am i really physically unable to do it? Or do you think it's a mental block??

Replies

• lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Mental block!! Challenge yourself... I tried doing the c25k program and got bored. Now I go to the park with a ton of people and run one mile at a time. I refuse to stop (making myself think that if I stop I'll look like a fool in front of all these people). Don't let your mind give out before your legs ;)
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You go girl, I'm stuck on level 1 workout 1 , I'm working up to work out 2, but running is not my thing, think I need to loose a bit more weight before I start again, the knee hurts afterwards, but I am doing JM 30DS aswell!

Good luck! :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I got through week 1 then broke my big toe (totally crazy story, but the moral is don't jog in your bare feet), so will have to start fresh....curious to hear the responses, but I would guess you can take as long as you want on the weeks until you get your endurance up
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    I'd guess it's mostly mental since you had a bad experience last time. Go ahead and try the last week again if you want. It's ok to repeat a day/week until you are comfortable. I would suggest slowing your pace if you are struggling physically to finish. If you work first on endurance, you can work later on speed.
  • inchestopinch
    inchestopinch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was just starting Week 7 Day 3 and ended up injuring myself (poor shoes), so I haven't been to the gym in over a week)... I have a feeling Im going to struggle (worse then I already did) to try and get past a few minutes!

Myself, I will probably go back to an earlier week just ween myself back into it.

Good luck to you :)

*edit, removed bump as while I typed up my response others have already responded as well :)*
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Week 6, Day 1 was a rough one for me. After running for 20 minutes I thought that next workout would be pretty easy...it wasn't. For me, pushing through it worked, that may not work for you. If you think you need to repeat the previous week and you don't have a race scheduled anytime soon, go for it.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    you may want to just go back to the previous week. That way, you know you can do it and you won't feel like you're failing. I think it's pretty common for people to repeat weeks if they think they need to. I've never done C25K but some of my friends have. don't panic! :) it's great that you are doing it, and soon you will be running for miles without a thought of walking!

When I start running in the spring after not running pretty much all winter (bc I live in WI and I don't like to run out in the cold or inside on the treadmill), it usually takes me a few weeks to really get back into it. Every time I run for the first few weeks I sort of dread it and get really tired and it's hard to keep going. But then all of a sudden you get past that wall and running is really enjoyable. If you keep at it, one day you will feel like you can just go forever, and it feels awesome! I guess that's the "runner's high." But don't worry about it feeling difficult, bc that happens to everyone when they start!
  • E1rlindsay
    E1rlindsay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I already run pretty slow, lol...i think if i slowed the treadmill down any more i might fall off! My first 5k of the season isn't until may, so i have some time. I think maybe i'll just take it back a notch, so i don't have that as an excuse anymore! :) I completed the program last spring and ran (2) 5ks, so i KNOW i can do it...
    I'm also using the stair master, elliptical and my mountain bike on my "off" days, so my poor legs might just be really fatigued...
  • MJMelchiori
    Options
    Make sure you eat something at least 1/2 hour before your run, peanut butter on toast, apple and cheese... and dont forget to drink plenty of water. Lack of good protein and carbs can cause you to hit a wall. Try changing up your diet first.
  • E1rlindsay
    Options
    that's a good tip...i do tend to be at the gym after work, when my legs are already tired from standing all day ( i literally stand ALL day) and also probably not as properly nourished as i could be. I have tomorrow off, so maybe I'll go to the gym after a light, protein-packed breakfast and try the (2) 10 minute runs again...
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing over and over again that "Running is 90% mental" Reboot - adjust your mindset and go again: Thinking you CAN do it rather than allowing yourself to quit... because the truth is Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right.
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    I already run pretty slow, lol...i think if i slowed the treadmill down any more i might fall off! My first 5k of the season isn't until may, so i have some time. I think maybe i'll just take it back a notch, so i don't have that as an excuse anymore! :) I completed the program last spring and ran (2) 5ks, so i KNOW i can do it...
    I'm also using the stair master, elliptical and my mountain bike on my "off" days, so my poor legs might just be really fatigued...

try cross training with something that isn't using your legs so much, your muscles need a rest. (and still slow down your pace, it wont hurt too bad if you fall off going slow.) ;)
  • wahlsalazar
    Options
    Mental block! I completed it for the first time over the summer, went onto the Bridge to 10K, and now do three miles, 2-3 times a week. I am twice the size in your pic :)

However, I found I performed better, when I trained every two days. My legs would be tired. I can't imagine doing all that other cross training, as well.

Good luck, girl! You've got this! That week of the first 20 minute run is the worst :)
  • E1rlindsay
    Options
    ok, new side-questions....any ideas on other cardio-fat-burning-calorie busting exercise that i can do to lessen the load on my legs, on my "off" days?? I know i need to do more weight training, but i always feel like i'm wasting time if i don't do some cardio with it :)
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I am doing c25k, but at a slower pace than the program, (because I am old, not so much weight). Go at a good pace for you. Go back a week if you need to. The prize is that you get there, not how fast you accomplish it. Eating a small snack before is also a good tip.
  • wahlsalazar
    Options
    I don't know about the cardio, I think it's to much, imo. I would work on strengthening your core-situps, pushups, crunches etc., or the weight training you don't like :)

And, I also know a few people who repeated a week here and there. I know, I wanted to finish that thing, so that was my motivation. And, I had an online buddy that I was accountable with. That was huge!
  • Megn_11
    Megn_11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My dad always said that our genes were "built for comfort, not speed" so I had never considered myself a runner when my friend took me out for a jog. The most valuable key she taught me was when you feel like quitting, don't stop. Just slow down. I went from never running to running 4 miles that day! Another thing I noticed is I HAVE TO be conscious of my breathing. If don't, I get totally winded no matter how fast I run. I breath with my steps: Inhale, inhale, inhale (in my nose), exhale, exhale, exhale (out my mouth).

You can do it! Just slow down, don't stop. And pace your breathing. You'll do great!