Why am I craving protein like crazy?

Options
Over the past three weeks (on MFP and exercise for about 4 or 5 weeks) I have developed insane cravings for protein! I generally have a major weakness for bakery/dairy goods, but my cravings have not been of this nature...I want beef, chicken, fish, crab...all at the same time, as much as I can get! I've never experienced anything like this before and had actually considered becoming a vegitarian in the past because I've never really cared much about meat. I have increased my protein intake and go slightly over my MFP suggestions pretty much daily, but don't overdo the meat. Where did these new cravings come from and WHY?

Replies

• alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    my first guess is pregnant... lol
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    What are your macros set to?
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    As my proffesor always says the body talks we all just need to listen.

Your body was probably just low on protien and due to the activity you've been doing it didn't have enough to replenish so it was making you crave it!
    If your not big on meat try eating quinoa! its thought to be a grain but really its the seeds of a certain plant (forget what its called) and apart of the spinach family! and a wopping 8G of protien a serving. Also golden berries! Also protien powder is a great way to get the protien you need!
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    my first guess is pregnant... lol
    mine as well lol
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you crave something its usually because of lacking vitamins/minerals that are in it - or you need to eat more protein lol.

Do a google search should give you a 1000 more questions than answers but will probably answer the question :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you're hitting over 35% protein and still craving meat like crazy- then you might have the same B vitamin deficiency I had a run-in with. Good protein sources and a multivitamin cleared it up for me. Now- if we're talking TOM then it's normal to seek out protein and red meat in particular.
  • turbomachine1
    turbomachine1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I get the same cravings and somehow it get worse after i exercise...so i figured out it's because i increased my physical activity while decreasing my calorie intake; I think those cravings come because there is a deficit somewhere so I take a multi vitamin just to be sure everything is covered...hopefully it works :)
  • rwoodbury143
    Options
    Pregnant...I wish!!! Not the case...thanks for thoughts though!
  • rwoodbury143
    Options
    If I'm eating diverse proteins (soy shakes after workouts, eggs, greek yogurt, and meat - mostly chicken/pork) is it possible to be getting too much protein if I'm within my ranges on everything else? So wierd...makes sense that my body may have had a shortage to begin with and has just decided to compensate.