Need some advise about calories & exercise daily.

Options
I am currently at 276 pd. Will know if I lost any this past week when I weight tonight. Just wondering if 1500 calories is enought for me. I keep reading what others say on this site for the appropriate amount of calories and I get confused.

My workout for a week looks like this:
Mon - 30 weight training
Tues - 30 - 50 min cardio
Weds. 2 hours (1 body pump, 1 spin class)
Thurs - 30 - 50 min body attack class
Friday - 30 weight training
Sat. rest day
Sun. 1 hr zumba class

Goal is to lose 100 pd. by Dec. 31, 2012 Comments? Advise?

Replies

• stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I commented on your status but will repeat it here, I don't think this is enough. With all that exercise you can get away with at least 2000 (probably more) & still lose weight. Try it for a week & I promise you'll see a significant improvement in your energy levels at the gym. Stay of the scale for a week or two if you do increase them because it will take a bit to adjust, but it WILL adjust.

I'd also recommend not being married to idea of losing X lbs by Y date. It's nice to have a goal to shoot for, as long as you aren't going to freak out if you only lose 75. Sometimes weight loss is unpredictable, as soon as you find something that works & gets you steady losses for a while, it stops working because your body adapts & you have to switch things up. This is why higher calories is beneficial, because it gives you room to drop your calories by 50-100 a day when you hit a plateau.
  • catramsey2
    catramsey2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I won't freak out. I have to set a goal so I work hard. I hate to exercise and I have to push myself. Goals seem to work for me. I know I may not lose all the weight, but if I don't set it high, I tend to slack off. I like this - "This is why higher calories is beneficial, because it gives you room to drop your calories by 50-100 a day when you hit a plateau."
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    Don't forget the other reason higher calories are beneficial: Food is yummy. :wink:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Are you currently meeting your 1500 calories a day goal? Or are you under nearly everyday? Are you losing weight or are you stalled? Do you eat your exercise calories?

Do you know your BMR? How about your TDEE?

In my opinion, having an idea of your BMR and your TDEE is an excellent place to start. No, they aren't set in stone, but they are definitely a good starting point. :)

Edited to add: Based on how much you are working out everyday, my guess is 1500 is too low. But, everyone's body is different. I know from personal experience that 1500 calories is way too low for me. Especially since I can lose weight while being in the 2100 net range and I can maintain in the 2300-2500 net range.
  • catramsey2
    Options
    "In my opinion, having an idea of your BMR and your TDEE is an excellent place to start. No, they aren't set in stone, but they are definitely a good starting point. :) "

I don't know. Someone kindly pointed out to me that the 1500 calories was probably my net calories. This makes more sense. That would put be at eating 2000 and after exercise it would be 1500. I just started adding more exercise to my week, so I don't know how this will work for me. I am panicking because it has been 7 weeks since I lost any weight. So I added more exercise and increased my calories. This was what my trainer wanted me to do, but he did not say how much. He just said to eat more carbs in the morning. He has never mentioned how many calories to eat. Trying to figure this out.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Focus on NET calories - net calories are what is important since that is the number of calories you're giving your body for the day. If you're logging your food here, focus on getting the bottom number (calories remaining) as close to zero as possible. Having 200, 300 or more calories leftover in a day is creating too large of a deficit. Too large of a deficit = no weight loss. Do you log your exercise on here? If not, start doing that. If you do, make sure you try eating back at least most of those calories too.

I suspect that 1500 isn't enough and that is why you aren't losing any weight.
  • catramsey2
    Options
    Yes, I log my exercises on here. Thanks for the advise. I will try that. I weight in tonight. Will see how the week went. Have a great day!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I won't freak out. I have to set a goal so I work hard. I hate to exercise and I have to push myself. Goals seem to work for me. I know I may not lose all the weight, but if I don't set it high, I tend to slack off. I like this - "This is why higher calories is beneficial, because it gives you room to drop your calories by 50-100 a day when you hit a plateau."
    If you should plateau, here is a great article about it. Believe it or not, cutting calories by 50-100 may not be the solution.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    If you should plateau, here is a great article about it. Believe it or not, cutting calories by 50-100 may not be the solution.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
    An interesting article, though the only citation the blogger gave was to say that the Mayo Clinic recommends the opposite of what she's suggesting. Her opinion seems anecdotal...not that it's invalid or anything, but she says she's a personal trainer & doesn't list any other certifications she carries apart from that.

I'm not saying dropping calories is the end-all, be-all solution to breaking plateaus anyway, only that if your calorie level is higher initially, it's an option.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

An interesting article, though the only citation the blogger gave was to say that the Mayo Clinic recommends the opposite of what she's suggesting. Her opinion seems anecdotal...not that it's invalid or anything, but she says she's a personal trainer & doesn't list any other certifications she carries apart from that.

I'm not saying dropping calories is the end-all, be-all solution to breaking plateaus anyway, only that if your calorie level is higher initially, it's an option.

I have found the information on this site to be pretty shallow and not particularly useful.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 276 pd. Will know if I lost any this past week when I weight tonight. Just wondering if 1500 calories is enought for me. I keep reading what others say on this site for the appropriate amount of calories and I get confused.

My workout for a week looks like this:
    Mon - 30 weight training
    Tues - 30 - 50 min cardio
    Weds. 2 hours (1 body pump, 1 spin class)
    Thurs - 30 - 50 min body attack class
    Friday - 30 weight training
    Sat. rest day
    Sun. 1 hr zumba class

Goal is to lose 100 pd. by Dec. 31, 2012 Comments? Advise?

Esp on heavier exercise days, 1800-2000 should be enough for now, 1500 on lighter days is OK too. If you need to lose 100+ lbs, you can sustain higher deficits.

Personally, I would suggest upping your cardio minutes. You are really only doing cardio 3 days per week. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends 150-250 minutes of cardio per week for weight loss, somewhat less if you are following a vigorous workout program, but still more than you are doing.

Again, a personal opinion, but I am always wary when people do most of their cardio in classes. I think the uneven tempos, and the warm-up and cooldown parts decrease the total calories expended more than people think. Simpler movements (cross trainer, treadmill running or incline walking) lend themselves more to maintaining a sustained effort. But personal preference is important, too. If the classes really motivate you, then that is an important consideration as well. But, once you start to master some of the moves, it may become more difficult to increase your intensity.

Anyhow, that's my advice--I would add some cardio to your lifting days.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Exercise speeds up your fat loss.

Now on to eating.

The problem with diet and dieting is that the person dieting is psyched to lose weight and will eat little or follow strange diets to lose weight. The question is, what are you going to do after you lose the weight?

I would take a step back and figure out what your weight loss goal is or target weight. Then figure out what you are going to do to get there and then what you will do to maintain it.

Here is what I learned: I like to eat as natural as I can. No artificial anything. Then I eat what I want, as much as I want. While I am doing that, I mark down my calories. If you eat nothing but natural foods (I will define natural foods later on) you will be on a reduced calorie diet, I promise you this.

What do we need calories for? Energy, and so I want clean sources of energy and then what is the next thing I want? I need nutrition. Then I want to feel satisfied so I don't get hungry.

I say this but I am really referencing Dr. Douglas Lisle and Dr. John McDougall and Jeff Novick.

Eating refined, processed foods have concentrated salt/sugar/fat which all equals tons of calories. Most call these types of foods carbs, but some call them refined carbs and I also agree these are refined carbs (stay away from them!).

Natural foods that give you energy is starchy foods like potatoes, rice, barley, squash, sweet potatoes, beans. They give you the energy you need but they don't give you things like cholesterol. But they don't give you as much nutrition as vegetables and fruits will. Vegetables hardly have calories but they contain all the nutrients and other essentials your body needs.

So now you are wondering, that the taste of green and starchy foods are just not up to par with say steak or a fatty steak or chocolate.

I guarantee you that if you eat starchy foods (for the energy) and you are not going to get sick from them and eat your veggies with exercise you will lose weight without inducing ketosis. If you eat meat, eat it sparingly, as a side and not as the center piece of your meal. Get your protein from beans, broccoli sprouts, other natural sources and avoid eating fat from animals (get them from plants).

Avoiding added sugar and salt will make you lose 10 lbs immediately. Then your willingness to exercise and eating natural foods will help speed up your weight loss.

I am probably, most-likely going to anger someone who doesn't agree with this plan so take it as someone who already went through it. If you are looking to grow muscle and become a body builder, you can forget my advice. =]
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Your goal is 100 pounds in approximately 9.5 months. That's around 41 weeks.

Set your weight loss goal to 2 pounds a week. That puts you at 82 pounds in 41 weeks assuming you follow everything meticulously. You're still 18 pounds below your goal, which is 18% less than 100.

MFP is going to give you a target calorie number. Multiply that number by 0.82 and you will get the calories you must eat every day in order to reach your goal.

Do not under any circumstances let this number go below 1200. If the number is 1400 and you burn 100 calories, eat 1500 calories.
  • jjballantyne
    jjballantyne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just a question...what are you eating?...if its 2000 of fairly unhealthy food...that could be the issue. I wasn't losing weight for five or six weeks, tracking my calories, driving myself nuts.....then over the last few weeks I have eaten really clean...veggies, salad, oatmeal, lean protein...NO refined carbs (no sugar, no white bread, no white pasta etc.). It sucked for a few days and its more work to cook from scratch, but I've lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks (I'm trying to lose 20) . I'm 43 and have steadily been putting on weight. I asked my doctor...she said simply "eat cleaner, work out harder" then she laughed! But I think she was right. It's really hard at times, especially when others around you are eating the tasty pizza...having a cupcake, but there are good tasty recipes out there that you can have and still eat clean. I had a baked sweet potato as a side with dinner tonite, low fat cheese, a few bacon bits just for flavor (it was supposed to be turkey bacon buts, but didn't have any) and about a tablespoon of low fat sour cream...I saw recipe in husbands muscle and fitness magazine...lol, but it was really good! Calorie count is definitely important, but what you eat plays almost as big a part. maybe experiment for a few days, changing up your food...:smile:
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    What Azdak said about the cardio echoes what my trainer has added into my routine...more cardio. And you don't have to kill yourself with the intensity either, as a matter of fact you have more efficient fat-burning at the lower intensities. Something to think about.

Eating clean is a good thing. Not always a realistic thing though. If you haven't read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, read it. In general I try to avoid processed foods but I won't claim that my diet is totally clean & that's ok. There is a noticeable improvement in the way I feel when most of what I eat is clean.
  • catramsey2
    Options
    I eat clean. I go organic if I can afford it. I don't eat boxed or processed foods ever! I eat chicken breast, complex carbs, protein shakes, fruit, veggies (don't eat as much of this as I feel I should). Salmon, eggs and turkey as well, Don't drink sodas of any kind. Water, milk, fresh lemon aid. Eat oatmeal, organic peanut butter, whole grains. NO CHIPS, CANDY, CAKE, BOXED MEALS, ETC.