HIIT question

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
So I think I'm going to try some HIIT exercising tonight on the treadmill. They way I understand it, you alternate walking and running fast/sprinting. I normally run 3 miles at a certain pace (9:25ish), then power walk a mile. Sounds boring, but I can't seem to find something else I like to do. Anyway.....Questions for those of you who have done this....

1. How long do you generally walk then run in intervals? A set time or walk until you're not winded, then run for a set time or do you do a set distance?

2. How long or far do you go altogether? Do you stop after a certain overall time or certain distance?

3. How do you calculate your calorie burn? I'm planning to wear my HRM, which I've found to be pretty accurate.

TIA!

Replies

• JoolieW68
    Options
    Bump.....

So I did 3 miles alternating walking at 4.3mph and running at 7mph (90 mins walking, 2 minutes running), then power walked a mile. According to my HRM, I burned roughly the same number of cals than when I run 3 miles then walk the mile. I sure seemed to sweat more, though!
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    I do HIIT training on the treadmill. I do a half mile walking warm up at 4.0, then start the HIIT. I speed up to 9.0 and once I hit full speed, I go 30 sec and then reduce down to 5.0. I do that twice, then do the same sprint speed but walk at 4.0 twice through. I do all of that x 4 (so basically 12 sprints and 12 walks/jogs) and then another 10 min cool down at 3.5 or lower. Takes me 40-45 min and burns a LOT of calories.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    We do HIIT intervals every Monday in my spin class. I LOVE it! Goes by so fast and feels great after.

This is what we do.
    Warm up for 3 songs varying pace. about 10 mins.

15-17 mins of intervals (about 12 of them is plenty)

30 seconds - ALL OUT to failure. You should push yourself harder then you think you can go. Add hill, sprint. Should "fail" by the end of the 30 seconds. If you can keep the pace the whole time push harder!!!

rest 30 seconds.

REPEAT!! We take slightly longer recovery between songs.

Then cool down at the end.
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    Oops, sorry I forgot to mention that my jogs/walks were 2 min each after I reach that lower speed.
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    So I think I'm going to try some HIIT exercising tonight on the treadmill. They way I understand it, you alternate walking and running fast/sprinting. I normally run 3 miles at a certain pace (9:25ish), then power walk a mile. Sounds boring, but I can't seem to find something else I like to do. Anyway.....Questions for those of you who have done this....

1. How long do you generally walk then run in intervals? A set time or walk until you're not winded, then run for a set time or do you do a set distance?

2. How long or far do you go altogether? Do you stop after a certain overall time or certain distance?

3. How do you calculate your calorie burn? I'm planning to wear my HRM, which I've found to be pretty accurate.

TIA!

Look up Tabata or other HIIT routines, it is usually something like 20:10 (running: walking). I do tabata for four sets of four minutes. I really push myself hard, I select interval training on the treadmill and go for 7 miles per hour as my push and 4 miles per hours as my rest. It can be hard so I walk for five minutes (3mph), do a tabata set, rest for five, (3mph)...etc. Also, as far as I know, HRM is the most close to accurate calorie burn.
  • onawhymm
    onawhymm Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm new to HIIT training too but wear my heart rate monitor. I run about 90 seconds - then walk 60 and do that for 3 miles. And yes - I burn about the same as one long run but it's easier on my feet (I have lousy feet!). I checked out info on the web and there is tons out there if you have the time to read - even found some music playlists that had a cue every 60 or 90 seconds so you would know to switch. Anyway - do what feels good to you!
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't think your running speed is high intensity enough. I sprint for 15 seconds, walk for 45 seconds. I sprint like my life depends on it (think serial killer or pack of zombies behind you).

I use a HRM with chest strap, and it burns a heck of a lot of calories. And it's a heck of a lot harder than my normal even-paced runs.
  • DarleneT22
    DarleneT22 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I run for 30 seconds and walk for 90 seconds. I do it 5 times.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my iPhone called repeat timer pro. I set it for a two minute walk at 3.5 mph, then one minute run at 7 mph. I'll do this for an hour (20 cycles). I can walk faster, but what I find is my heart rate toward the latter part of the workout doesn't drop out of cardio zone (it goes very high during the 1 minute runs).

I'm considering experimenting with different paces. I plan to increase the speed of my runs and will probably go for a shorter interval (3.5 mph for 90 second, 8 mph for 30 seconds).
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    As this topic has come up several times the last couple days, I'd refer you to a couple other threads, particularly the first:

1. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518319-hiit-cardio-explained-a-great-way-to-run
    2. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521324-hiit-am-i-even-close
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    As this topic has come up several times the last couple days, I'd refer you to a couple other threads, particularly the first:

1. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518319-hiit-cardio-explained-a-great-way-to-run
    2. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521324-hiit-am-i-even-close

Thanks so much for the links. That first one has some awesome info.

And thanks to everyone else who has chimed in as well. Always interesting to hear what others are doing.
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, you've lost over 100 lbs! Hats off to you, girl!