Back on track and ??s about weight lifting

Options
I have just recently started on my lifestyle change to a healthier me. I am eating healthier, staying under my calories, and try to exercise atleast 3 times a week. Basically, I walk. I'm losing weight. I have been reading about the importance of weight lifting for weight loss. Can anyone tell me how to get started? I don't have access to a gym but we do have a weight bench. Is there a program I should start? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing, and then when I lose more add the lifting? My goal is not to be a body builder, but to develop muscle tone while losing weight.

Replies

• Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi! You could try googling "beginner strength training" to get some ideas of what are good sets and reps to start with. That is what I did.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    Thank you! Did you start early in your weight loss?
  • Daydreams406
    Options
    Yes, I have been on again off again, and this time I decided to add the strength training in addition to cardio. I have been doing it only for two weeks, tomorrow. But I already FEEL better. The first strength workout was difficult...I was hurting for two days. But It's all good now :)
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    I would stick with what you're doing for now although I'm a hugeee advocate of weight training. However, I think you should continue losing weight how you are until you reach a plateau that way once weight loss has slowed you can add in some weight training causing the loss to continue without having to reduce calories or anything like that. As far as getting started goes so long as you have weights available to you that's all you need dumbbells or barbells can allow you to do, chest, shoulder, arm, leg, back workouts all from the comfort of your own home. Hope this helped! Good luck in your weight loss!
  • EmmieSu
    Options
    I've seen the P90X videos on youtube and they are really intense. I'm not sure I would be able to do even five minutes. I figured if I ever tried those it would be after I had lost the majority of this weight. I guess, it scares me!!! But really would like muscle tone. Slow will have to be my pace. Thank you, crewislife.
  • EmmieSu
    Options
    woozle7493---do you mind if I add you as a friend? I started 2 weeks ago, tomorrow, also. I feel great!! Just want to do it right:)
  • Aljos
    Aljos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For basics and other stuff about lifting try this website aworkout.com. .. you'll get all the goodstuff...GOODLUCK.
  • EmmieSu
    Options
    thank you..
  • Aljos
    Aljos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the misinformation, it's aworkoutroutine.com...
  • EmmieSu
    Options
    Thank you, I had checked out the previous site you gave, and didn't really find anything. Thank you for double checking, I appreciate it! I was afraid to post this thread...You know some ppl get in a debate about everything. But everyone that responded was helpful!
  • Daydreams406
    Options
    Hi! Sent you a request...sorry it took me awhile