Do you eat back exercise cals when trying to maintain weight

Options
I'm now trying to maintain the weight I am, and I know you are supposed to eat back exercise calories when you are wanting to lose weight but what about when you are maintaining?

Thank you.

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I'm now trying to maintain the weight I am, and I know you are supposed to eat back exercise calories when you are wanting to lose weight but what about when you are maintaining?

Thank you.

Yes. Otherwise -- if you are eating maintenance, and burn 500 calories exercising, you have given yourself a caloric deficit which will lead to further weight loss.

That being said, some have said that MFP's calorie burn tracker is not as accurate as might be desired. Play it by ear ... if you start gaining, then you're probably overrecording burn or underrecording food, and you'd want to decrease a little, same the other way.
  • redbekah
    redbekah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okay... so if I'm supposed to have 1600 a day, but then I exercise 400 calories, then I have to eat 2000 calories? That's alot!
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I say gradually raise your calorie level - for example, I wouldn't all of a sudden go from regularly eating 1300 calories to 2000. When you get to your target calories track everything and try it for a week. If you gain, drop it down by 200 calories. Then track everything for another week and see what happens - adjusting again if needed. Also - remember that if you are all of a sudden eating different kinds of foods it will throw your body off. Good luck!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Right, always eat back your exercise calories. Congratulations!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise cals back now I am maintaining, but my actual maintenance is quite a lot lower than MFP calculates it as, so it thinks I should be on 1620, but I am actually at 1500. On 1600 net I started gaining again.