Miracle Noodle?

Options

Replies

• kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about that product. However, I sometimes eat Kelp noodles. Here is the information:

Kelp Noodles are a sea vegetable in the form of an easy to eat raw noodle. Made of only kelp (a sea vegetable), sodium alginate (sodium salt extracted from a brown seaweed), and water, Kelp Noodles are fat-free, gluten-free, and very low in carbohydrates and calories. Their noodle form and neutral taste allow for a variety of uses including salads, stir-fries, hot broths, and casseroles, while providing a rich source of trace minerals including iodine, which kelp is well known for. Their unique texture completes the package, making Kelp Noodles a one-of-a-kind healthful and tasty alternative to pasta and rice noodles. Best of all, no cooking is required. Just rinse and add the noodles to any dish and they are ready to eat!

Ingredients: Water, kelp, sodium alginate

Nutrition information:

Serving size: 4 oz.
    Servings per container: 3

Amount per serving:

Calories: 6
    Calories from fat: 0
    Total Fat: 0g
    Cholesterol: 0g
    Sodium: 35mg
    Total Carbohydrates: 1g
    Dietary Fiber: 1g
    Sugars: 0g
    Protein: 0g
    Vitamin A: 0%
    Vitamin C: 0%
    Calcium: 15%
    Iron: 4%
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I bought some, but after reading reviews about the smell and how you have to rinse them them pat them really try, I haven't used them yet. Seems like a lot of effort that isn't worth it. I need to toss them out
  • Shaye85
    Shaye85 Posts: 107
    Options
    i have 10 in my fridge, they r delicious and really?? people think its work to wash noodles? come on people it takes 2 min, wash them. heat them up if u want or put hot sauce of your choice overtop...
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Amazon sells miracle noodles. You can check out the reviews.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Those noodles can walk on water! That's why they are difficult to wash.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If it has 3g of carbs, it is IMPOSSIBLE to be calorie free. It has to have at least 12 calories minimum...

I would never buy it, whether low calorie or not, simply because they are trying to mislead people with their labels.
  • imaprncs
    imaprncs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    has anyone lost weight eating just the noodles or the rice??
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    When I read the topic title, I knew it had to be shirataki or konnyaku. Yam noodles are FANTASTIC for low calories and high fiber. You shouldn't eat them A LOT because they are void of many nutrients, but they are a fantastic treat if you flavour them right. (Think Asian-inspired spices and sauces.) I still have shirataki in my fridge that I haven't tried yet, but konnyaku is great too (more or less the same thing.)

Warning: take small bites, and don't give to kids. The noodles are really rubbery, so chew well.
  • dana815
    dana815 Posts: 9
    Options
    I was skeptical but loved em
  • dana815
    dana815 Posts: 9
    Options
    I LOVE them...follow directions, wash very well...blanch n boiling water...I prefer a lIght Alfredo or low sugar spaghetti sauce would b good too...I don't ever want to buy real noodles again...miracle noodles r awrsome
  • shelleylynnb
    Options
    I'm sorry but the Miracle Noodles are so gross. I hate the taste and the texture. And I really hate the smell, even after washing them. I just don't eat pasta or rice any more but these disgusting Miracle Noodles are no substitute for real pasta. I tried these Miracle Noodles with other sauces and spices and I still couldn't stand these noodles.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think they are "real" as in, yes you can buy them and eat them, and yes they have (apparently) no calories.

Whether they are "real" as in this definitition of food: "a nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth", you'd have to answer no.
    They are a vehicle for carrying sauce into your stomach and making you feel as though you've eaten something, but they don't provide any nutrition and won't help to maintain life and growth.

These kinds of non-foods make me really uneasy - what kind of society do we live in where we are prepared to pay money for something that looks and behaves like food but doesn't provide us with a single calorie worth of energy?? It means that we are eating purely for pleasure, not to fuel our bodies. While I love food and eating and I'm all for enjoying it, this just makes me think that as a society, we have lost our way.
  • crise40g
    crise40g Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My buddy at work eats that stuff all the time. It's alright if you have to have a noodle. I ate some and it just takes on the flavor of whatever your using. Living here in Hawaii, it's pretty easy to find.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I tried the shirataki noodles, and I found they were alternately good and horrible depending on how I prepared them lol. The best way I did them was combined with a little coconut oil, canned tuna, onions and turmeric.
  • Thesis_gut
    Thesis_gut Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Those noodles can walk on water! That's why they are difficult to wash.

Fantastic! I need to try them just for that!

But really, the shirataki noodles sound like a better deal than the miracle noodles overall. Going to see if I can find them here in the UK. Sounds like either will work well with spicy Asian dishes like a Thai green curry or sweet & sour chicken.
  • raybanfan11
    Options
    Try shirataki noodles. It is also zero cal. You can buy a whole package for about $2-$6 each depending on brand and weight. And substitue it for pancit noodles. If you know a filipino.. they can probably teach you how to cook pancit. *drools*
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have not read all replies so I apologize in advance if I repeat...

Our whole foods had a 3 for $4 deal so I got spaghetti, angel hair and fettuccine. I was nervous about the fishy after taste as many folks warned about it, BUT... They were great! I was diligent about washing them and parboiling them for 2-3 minutes and wow, so good!

The spaghetti I did with low sodium soy sauce shrimp, and stir fry veggies and loved it! Then the junk food miracle of all time!! ... (a lot of sodium though, FYI...). Ramen noodles! My hangover/comfort food. 2 servings, whole bag angel hair shiritake noodles, 1 can Campbells French onion soup, chipotle pepper spice ( I like spicy) and I sprinkled 1 tbls Parmesan cheese on top. yum!!

So, after reading some replies I will clarify they are 20 calories per serving, 2 servings per bag of the ones I bought at whole foods which is why I said 2 servings in my post... But 20 cals, really? Not too bad and they did not say "0" cals so I did not feel mislead at all.
  • cowgirlnana
    Options
    I have been a huge fan of the Tofu Shirataki noodles for a few years now. Depending on where you live, you can find them at most whole food type stores , Trader Joes and Safeway (Ca). Also check out the local Asian stores as they may have them too.

If keeping calories at bay is what you're aiming for I have another fab food for you to try...with the noodles and with any other foods. The brand is called WaldenFarms. Their products have no calories, fat, carbs, gluten, or sugar of any kind. I just happen to stubble upon these items a few weeks ago and everything that I have tried so far has been great. I love the Bacon Ranch salad dressing, the chocolate sauce, caramel sauce and dip too. And oh the Alfredo was great with the Tofu Shiritaki noodles and the Rocky Chicken with Mozzarella and Basil meatballs I got at Costco. Next time I'm adding broccoli to this dish...yummmmmie!!! And don't get me started on the apples with the caramel sauce...better than eating a caramel apple and with no sugar or calories!!! If you can't find these products go to: www.waldenfarms.com and see all the different products they offer. I'll tell you right now, I'm hooked.
  • mjlobeau
    mjlobeau Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    tofu shiritaki noodles are awesome. i would buy miracle noodles in a second, but they dont see that specific brand where i live. great alternative to pasta. love.
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    I haven't tried the miracle noodles, but the shirataki noodles are my new favorites! I tried the hungry girl fettucine and am HOOKED!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=468

I'm fortunte to have a store in my area that sells them. I wouldn't have tried them if I had to order a bunch online!

--ash :heart:

That sounds super delicious; heard they soak up flavors/sauces well!! Mosdef need to check these out((=