Soy milk VS Almond milk

Options
Last semester I took a health and nutrition class and was told soy milk or soy anything isn't really good for you because it has been so processed that it is no longer the good stuff it started out to be. So I am wondering what others think on the subjuct. Do you think Soy milk or Almond milk is better for you and what do you use. I have used Almond milk and find I like it as long as it's the Vanilla or Chocolate that comes from Diamond brand.

Replies

• Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I can only drink soymilk a couple of times per week, otherwise it upsets my tummy.

I love love love almond milk. And it loves me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    soy upsets my stomach as well.
    i usually do rice milk but will also do almond or lowfat coconut at times.

i use rice dream or trader joe's brand. vanilla or chocolate
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Never was a fan of Soy milk but I do recommend Almond milk and I don't even like almonds lol. Also I was told to watch the Soy since it's irritates my skin
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I have a family history of cancer, so I try to avoid soy milk if I can. It can raise your estrogen levels, increasing the chances of certain kinds of cancer.

I also prefer almond milk becauseI like the taste and it's so low in calories.
  • namasteb1tches
    Options
    I love soy and have never had a problem with it. Both are processed and both have their pros and cons.
    I just would never touch rice milk =/
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to dairy, almonds, and soy.
    I find hemp milk gross, coconut milk has that weird coconut taste to it ( I don't mind the coconut milk coffee creamer or ice cream though) but for cooking and whatnot I use Rice Dream vanilla rice milk.
  • filomenae
    filomenae Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use standard organic almond milk from Hannaford's. It's store-brand, but it still tastes delicious. I've come to realize that a lot of soy product upsets my stomach (which is quite sensitive due to a digestive disorder I have). You're likely to hear a lot of different things from others, and I'm sure someone will mention the protein in soy. Basically, to each their own is what I'm saying. : )

I'm happy with my almond milk!
  • tastefullycarol1
    tastefullycarol1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Almond milk... I can't have regular milk !
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk, but I prefer rice&coconut milk (70 kcal per 100 ml though :/)
    I can't stand almond milk, I hate its taste :sick:
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i loooove unsweetned soya milk, taste so much better than cow's milk. never tried almond milk due to it being double the calories of soya!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Never had soy milk - it sounds gross to me. I probably should at least try it. I was almost afraid to try almond milk at first, but I ended up really liking it, and I LOVE Blue Diamond Coconut-Almond Milk! :drinker:
  • bytrout
    bytrout Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We have just started using Almond Breeze and have found we like it and it seems to like our digestive tracks more than milk. Our gastroenterologist recommended it.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I have a family history of cancer, so I try to avoid soy milk if I can. It can raise your estrogen levels, increasing the chances of certain kinds of cancer.

I also prefer almond milk becauseI like the taste and it's so low in calories.

I'd agree with this myself.
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk, unsweetened, its only 40 calories a cup and much easier on my stomach than dairy milk...soy milk had a strange taste to me, while almond milk is fairly similar, especially when its just made with oatmeal and mixed with things
    :)
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk , mine is a store brand and 65 cals per 250ml, 38% rda calcium, and 10g sugar. I find it gives everything a slightly nutty taste and I love it for milky coffee. If I am out and about at costa coffee for example I will get soya because thats the only non dairy choice.
  • hilsen
    hilsen Posts: 7
    Options
    Soy milk is not that processed or bad if you do it yourself!

It's just boiled soaked soy beans, no sugar and no strange stuff in it - doing it takes half an hour (if you do not have a soy milk maker) - same for other vegetable milks.

I usually drink all kind of vegetable drinks (almond, hemp, coconut, rice, quinoa, hezelnut, soy and oat milks), many time I prepare them - cheaper and healthier and no added sugar or chemicals.