I JUST CHEATED AND ATE A HAMBURGER!!

Options
Nah jokes, i really didn't.
But the point of this post is to show everyone this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ldqNvIcafs

Essentially what he says that, at the end of the day, as long as you meet your caloric goals and your macro goals (protein, fat and carbs) It doesn't matter what you eat, because your body doesn't know that you just ate an ice cream, it just sees it as sugar and fats. Or if you ate a home made hamburger, it just sees it as carbs, proteins and fats. So don't be afraid to 'cheat' of course, essentially you cannot just do that every single day and hope to reach your caloric goals and macros by eating junk food =P but yeah, DONT BE AFRAID!

If your Macros are for example
Protein: 150g
Carb: 200g
Fat: 50g
Calories: 2000

At the end of the day, if your daily caloric intake is less than 2000, you will lose weight. You can eat what you like
as long as you meet these goals, HOWEVER, as i said before obviously you cannot base your diet off junk food,
that's just a no brainer, but this is just another perspective to look at things, so that you don't feel bad when you do
have the occasional mc donalds or kfc.

So what does everyone think?

I personally don't feel bad when i 'cheat' so to speak, perhaps a burger once a week, a soda here and there
as long as i have met my daily caloric intake and my macros, at the end of the day, it doesn't really bother me so much

Replies

• Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    LOL! true.
  • truecaligirl
    truecaligirl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. When we did The Biggest Loser challenge at work I ate doritos every night and ate chicken tacos from Del Taco.. My coworker was amazed that I was still losing weight. My response was,"As long as its accounted for and Im within my calories its all good." I managed to win first place ...Lost 36lbs in 8 weeks. So Im with you on that one. Its when I go overboard that Im in trouble.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I agree that you may stay between your caloric intake by eating "junk food" and still lose weight, but I prefer vegetables, fruit, meat, instead of McDonald's (just my opinion, as I don't like its taste)..
    However I sometimes treat myself with chocolate and ice cream, but I prefer healthy food (especially fruit) as it has vitamins and it's good for my body, so it's not only a calories issue ;)
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Always! MODERATION IS THE KEY, that's what people need to understand. completely RESTRICTING all food that you love, it will be very hard to stick to your diet, so might as well throw in the occasional soda or whatever that you love as long as you reach calories and macros!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    ha, made me look :laugh:
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    I completely agree with you! i would prefer a fruit salad over mcdonalds any day.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I agree, but like you say, you can't do it every day.

You shouldn't be afraid of 'cheating', but remember that if you want to be healthy, you need micro nutrients too and these tend to not exist in abundance in junk food.
  • twyrm
    twyrm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As long as you burn more than you take in, you should lose weight. However, I have found that staying away from starchy carbs and eating a bit more protein makes it a whole lot easier. I stay satisfied longer, I have very few cravings, and I don't have that middle of the afternoon psycotic episode where I must eat everything in the house or die! There is a lot to be said for keeping your blood sugar levels more even.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree. As long as you are mostly eating healthy, doing the fast food thing every once in a while isn't bad. You can't kill the good for the perfect. Some people are amazing and stick to a very strict and "healthy" diet and never stray..but that isn't me! ;-)
    I find when I deny myself something I obsess. I was on atkins for a while a long time ago (will never do THAT again) and ALL I could think about were bananas and peanut butter sandwiches! ;-) I think I would have knocked someone over to get some!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Why can't you? As long as I take my multi, I am good.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Always! MODERATION IS THE KEY, that's what people need to understand. completely RESTRICTING all food that you love, it will be very hard to stick to your diet, so might as well throw in the occasional soda or whatever that you love as long as you reach calories and macros!

Agreed. If i didn't have oreos or ice cream i would be a dragon lady!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Certainly you can do that and still lose weight. However, ice cream and hamburgers lack certain essential nutrients. So, if you're eating a diet of hamburgers and ice cream, you may very well be ill from malnutrition.

It's all about balance. I eat ice cream. I don't eat hamburgers because of the vegetarian thing, but if I wasn't, I would. But I also eat fruits and vegetables.
  • HelloDan
    Options

Depends if you think a multivitamin is absorbed in the same way as the equivalent naturally occuring substance.

Aside from that, there are studies out there suggesting multi-vitamins are not as good as people think - http://www.bmj.com/highwire/filestream/399328/field_highwire_article_pdf/0/bmj.38399.495648.8F.full.pdf

I think some studies even have negative views of multi vitamins.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I have to "cheat" simply because I have 3 young kids and (1) they don't like alot of the foods I'm incorporating into my diet and (2) we have so many activities that cause me to run all day with them - particularly on weekends, that I find myself starving and eating things like pizza at birthday parties, or a smoothie from McD's. My overall calorie deficit and nutrient intake is good, I'm still seeing results I'm happy with, and I see no need to stress over it. I just wish I could get the kids to TRY more veggies!
  • HelloDan
    Options
    Wanted to add to my post, but didn't want to edit in case anyone was replying.

I've got nothing personally against vitamins and supplements, but I do personally feel that they should be treated as their name suggests.

Just my opinion, but using them to SUPPLEMENT your diet is not necessarily a bad thing, but using them to allow you to just eat a lot of food lacking in nutrients is not the best way.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I agree, an occasional treat keeps me from binging. If I want something I eat it in moderation. If I don't eat it when I want it then the craving will get stronger and take over my mind until I do eat it and then it won't be pretty. I can make a Godiva chocolate bar last around 5 days by just nibbling on it. I get my chocolate in without the high use of calories, fat and sugar.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Great video! Thanx for sharing. Never thought of it like that!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add to my post, but didn't want to edit in case anyone was replying.

I've got nothing personally against vitamins and supplements, but I do personally feel that they should be treated as their name suggests.

Just my opinion, but using them to SUPPLEMENT your diet is not necessarily a bad thing, but using them to allow you to just eat a lot of food lacking in nutrients is not the best way.

I agree. I think it's perfectly fine to have a bad day or even week with eating just junk, but to only eat junk all the time and take a multi and think you're good to go is just silly.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Depends if you think a multivitamin is absorbed in the same way as the equivalent naturally occuring substance.

Aside from that, there are studies out there suggesting multi-vitamins are not as good as people think - http://www.bmj.com/highwire/filestream/399328/field_highwire_article_pdf/0/bmj.38399.495648.8F.full.pdf

I think some studies even have negative views of multi vitamins.
    I was taking it to the extreme.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    I was taking it to the extreme.

For sure, but some people may then read that and think it is a good idea.

See my follow up post, where I say that supplements are good to assist your diet, but should not replace it. I think we're actually on the same page really.