Different weight sizes

Options
I just recently got back into weight lifting after about 10 years, and at the gym I have noticed that more then a few people start of with low weights and then go adding more during their sets. One guy started the bicep curl at 60lbs, then the next set of reps was at 90lbs and by the time he was done with all his sets he was at 170lbs. What is the benefit to lifting weights this way if any?

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I would assume the top weight was his actual lift and the others were warm up sets...
  • stward9280
    Options
    You sure he was bicep curling 170 lb!??
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that does seem a bit crazy! How big would that dumbell be!

Was he using a barbell?
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    thats what we did to build muscle and strength in power lifting. By the end of your sets you are at 90% of your max .
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I've seen people curling 80Kg in the gym using a bar... EZ curl, olympic and the shorter one...

I assume warmup sets or perhaps he hasn't lifted in a while and testing the water with lower weights and upping it as he went... sometimes if I'm unsure how I am with a weight, I'll do a set and if it seemed to easy, add some on and try again... might have to do this a few times 'til I find one that's "heavy enough" for me to do my reps and need to rest after completing them. I underestimate my own strength, am not experienced enough to know what's best for me... to avoid injury I start at one I know I'll be happy with such as the bar + 7.5Kg, then see if I can add 10Kg instead of 7.5Kg etc etc...
  • MRC77
    MRC77 Posts: 51
    Options
    Yeah I am sure on the 170lbs, it was with a bicep curl machine not dumbbells