what happens if u eat way over your protein allowance

Options
i find that i eat double my protein allowance. will i still be able to lose weight and tone up if i eat over my protein allowance. i'm well within my other daily limits.

Replies

• radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Nothing, you feel more full and continue to lose weight. Disclaimer: if you have kidney issues, eating too much protein can be detrimental.
  • clisat1004
    clisat1004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Protein is good - stick with that and you will do well!!!!!
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    There is no scientific proof that excess protein causes kidney problems. It can exacerbate an existing condition but the amounts you'd need to consume on a daily basis to stress your renal system are ridiculously high and impractical to eat in 24 hours.

Excess protein can be used as an alternative fuel source but I wouldn’t worry too much about it. As it is one of the last nutrients to be converted to fat over carbohydrates and fat itself, not saying it won’t happen it’s just unlikely.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i find that i eat double my protein allowance. will i still be able to lose weight and tone up if i eat over my protein allowance. i'm well within my other daily limits.

Yes, you should still lose weight. Eating too much protein puts more strain on your kidneys, but unless you have a medical condition that could affect your kidneys it's probably not a problem. If you are concerned or have a condition that could affect your kidneys, give your doctor a call to see if s/he feels the amount you are eating is a problem.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Going over your protein allowance does one thing... it makes you post threads like this, where you find out that MFP's protein allowance is a minimum goal rather than a limit, and that you should go over it. You'll also learn that MFP's default protein goal is really low and that a lot of people have customized their settings to get more protein. :smile:
  • DeniseChilver
    DeniseChilver Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I ave to admit that I lost most of my weight by keeping my protein levels high. I joined here as I noticed that the weightloss was slowing and low and behold my protein levels had dropped and old habits were sneaking back.

Back on te game now tho :-)
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific proof that excess protein causes kidney problems. It can exacerbate an existing condition but the amounts you'd need to consume on a daily basis to stress your renal system are ridiculously high and impractical to eat in 24 hours.

Excess protein can be used as an alternative fuel source but I wouldn’t worry too much about it. As it is one of the last nutrients to be converted to fat over carbohydrates and fat itself, not saying it won’t happen it’s just unlikely.

Ummmm... I said "IF YOU HAVE KIDNEY ISSUES" not, protein will cause kidney issues. Thus, I meant that if you already have kidney issues, eating too much protein can be detrimental.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you are eating way over your daily protein and staying within your calorie allowance, you are probably just eating a lower carb diet. Wait.. I've heard of that. It works!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Nothing, you feel more full and continue to lose weight. Disclaimer: if you have kidney issues, eating too much protein can be detrimental.
    I've heard the kidney thing is a fallacy.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    MFP's default allowance for protein is reall really low, as mentioned above. Most likely, you get more gas, thats what will happen.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For the past month I have been eating 175g - 200g of protein per day and I've been consistently losing weight while getting stronger. More protein is a good thing.
  • LexyDB
    Options
    Didn't aim the post at anyone so kindly don't imply I was commenting on your post. The remark was for the original poster that eating excess protein is unlikely to cause harm unless you already have problems and that there is no scientific proof that excess protein causes problems.

You're more likely to stress your system more by drinking alcohol and eating junk food but no one person on here takes that into consideration and that causes more damage in the long run.

High protein, low to moderate carbohydrate diets are nothing new as pointed out. They work and the macronutrients are a general guidelines.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Gas and if you eat a lot of red meat probably will solidify your ..well going to the toilet because of the iron.

I ate double/treble the minimum and lost 6/7 pounds a week so it means nothing.
  • JonDot08
    JonDot08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It takes your body longer to digest protein, so you feel full longer. It also takes more calories to digest protein, so you burn more calories. Thats the way it has worked for me at least. I try to take in 1 gram of protein for each LEAN body pound. Meaning if I weighed 200#, and had a 25% BFI, I would try to take in 150 grams of protein each day.
  • LexyDB
    Options
    Also, if you take into account the thermogenics of protein as one of the four calories per gram is used in digestion and conversion. You can subtract a third of your daily protein allowance as your body uses that during consumption as opposed to consuming the calories.
  • LexyDB
    Options
    [/quote]
    I've heard the kidney thing is a fallacy.
    [/quote]

It is but I was being polite in my post. I can consume 150 - 200 grams daily and it doesn't impact exercise, health, diet or weight loss. As the CMcBryer stated, he eats up to 200 grams a day and I know people up to 300 grams a day and have been doing this for years and I assure you they are fit, healthy and a lot stronger than me.
  • slay0r
    Options
    I was on 250g a day most days and I was fine!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slay0r
    Options
    HAhaha I had 370g of protein yesterday, damn this thread! I ate an entire chicken..whoops.