I gained..

Options
I gained 1 1/2 from lastnight by eating alot. lastnight. Any ideas on how do help me?

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    it's most likely just water retention if what you ate contained a lot of sodium. You'd have to eat over 5000 calories ABOVE maintenance level to actually gain that weight in fat. Don't worry- it will come off :)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Avoid the scale after eating alot.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Water a veggies today!!!!!!! It's water weight but i know it still stinks!!!!!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water! It's just water weight, will be gone in a couple of days! =)
  • stormyous
    stormyous Posts: 157
    Options
    so it's not from the light veggie dip and ritz crackers? I ate alot.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    best thing you can do, is stop weighing yourself every day.

It's fine to weigh yourself often, if (and only if) you understand how the body deals with different micro-nutrients. Daily fluctuations in water and waste amounts can make day to day weights fluctuate up to 5 lbs in either direction (that's a 10 lb swing). The only way that daily weighing will help is if you remove emotion from the equation, track those weights and correlate them over the long term and look for trends, I.E. daily weight by itself is useless as a weight loss tool. Daily weight, when taken in bunches of weeks can show trends over the course of a longer period (like a month), if you see a downward trend, then you're doing it right, if you don't, or if it is trending flat or up, then you need to re-evaluate.

Other than that, daily weighing is not an effective measurement tool (even weekly is suspect unless you are looking at multiple weeks).
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Maybe it made you gain a little, but not that much. It will level out again.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    In a 24 hour period my weight has fluctuated as much as 8 lbs. What most people don't know is that water is 8 lbs a gallon. Water weighs a lot.
    I only weigh in the morning when I am "empty" to get a consistent real weight. If you ate a lot last night, it is probably mostly water. If you haven't had enough fiber, it might be solids waiting to escape.

Do the work, watch the calories, it will happen.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    so it's not from the light veggie dip and ritz crackers? I ate alot.

That will show up later...unless u create a caloric defecit...for the next few days to even out the extra cals consumed.
  • stormyous
    Options
    uggghhhh so I geuss haveing a 6' veggie sub on wheat bread no chesse and no mayo is out of the ? tommorrow foor lunch.
  • stormyous
    Options
    bump.

maybe I'll get a 6' veggie sub on wheat no cheese no mayo and grapes.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't let previous days affect the present day. You are already trying to make deals with yourself over a sub and some dip. Whats next? its a slippery slope to, I can eat this cake and pie and not eat anything but water for the next three days.

Why not just work out a little instead? Or just assume you are a human and 1.5 pound is nothing in the grand scheme of everything.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Poop!
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium intake for a couple days and drink plenty water. Lunch meat has a ton of sodium and those crackers probably do too!!
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself in the morning, just so I have a reference without eating anything to up the weight. I also avoid weighing myself every day as it will fluctuate.

hit a bit of a plateau atm so hovering around 101kg, time to dust of the gym gear.
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    That sounds pretty tasty to me and definitely on the healthy side of things! If you want to fit that into your day, definitely do it! As everyone said above, drink a lot of water too! Go to the gym or take a long walk to burn some calories and you'll find the scale back down in no time :)
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?!?!?!?!?! I weigh every day because I am also kinda obsessed about it, BUUUUUUUT, monday to tuesday morning, it looked like I gained 5 lbs, then this morning I was 2 under Monday's weight. You cant look at every single day and let the natural fluctuations get to you. It will make you stress and eat and want to give up. Weigh if you must, but only count one day a week as the number you track. Keeping up every day will only make you a big wad of hungry, angry nerves.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    Sounds like water weight. I ate alot of starch yesterday, and gain like 5 pounds this morning apparently. It's no biggie, because it's not real weight gain. If you are worry, just cut down on carbs and sodium.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Poop!

Yeah. It takes an average of 24 hours for the food you eat to go all the way from mouth to toilet. The food you ate has weight.

Also, like others have mentioned, high sodium levels causes you to retain water.

You didn't get fatter overnight, no worries.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    No you didn't. (I haven't read all the responses so if I'm repeating, think of it as re-iterating!) That pound and a half is a result of natural daily fluctuations - do not let it upset you. It's a result of high sodium, the actual weight of the food you've eaten, the amount of waste that has accumulated in your body, etc. If you are emotional about the scale put it away and don't look at it for a while. Daily ups and downs are very normal and are only useful to track if 1) you can see it as a normal regardless of how "good" you are and 2) if you are looking at the overall patterns in your weight loss. I weigh several times a week, but for me it helps me keep on track. I easily start losing track of my weight (and I'm able to not freak out everytime the scale goes up) BUT if I suddenly weigh 5lbs more than I do a day before, I also realize that's probably not a "real" weight. If I weigh 5lbs more several days in a row, well maybe my sodium intake is high or my TOM is on it's way. If it continues to increase then I know I'm doing something wrong. But if you are unable to look at the scale objectively than I recommend just putting the scale in the back of a closet and use a more useful tool like a pair of pants to measure your weight loss. Whatever you do, don't give up!! :smile: