Fibromyalgia - What works best for you?

Options
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last March. A hard workout means pain for me for days. Lots of pain.
If you have fibromyalgia, what works best for you for working out?

Replies

• amycool
    amycool Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with a connective tissue disease (but not found out which one yet, fibro myalgia is a possibility) and also hypermobility the more exercise I do the less pain I'm in, it really helps but if you're the other way round maybe you should try swimming, it's a great exercise and the water naturally supports your joints so it doesn't put any unnecessary pressure on them :-)
  • lorie5265
    Options
    Thank you, Amy. I've heard swimming is good and I forgot about that. Will have to give that a try. :happy:
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good, strength training works well for me.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yoga...they have gentle yoga. I would start there.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good, strength training works well for me.

love your ticker!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My mother has fibromyalgia and spinal stenosis ... she goes with me to Curves and she hula hoops.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and lupus. Walking. 2lbs (you can start with 1lb) weights and a stability ball helps a lot. Slow movements on the ball really help your core and strengthen your back.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in the early 90s. Very innovative for a Dr at that time, because it was not widely recognized or accepted as a real thing. I struggled with the pain for years. I also had other chronic injuries that made it worse.

I cleaned up my diet (which wasn't very bad at all) started martial arts, taking supplements, and upped my exercise. I have not had an attack in nearly 10 years. Amazing...it can be done. I am now helping others overcome their pain.:smile:
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in November I think, I also have Peripheral Neuropathy (wide spread nerve damage)...what worked for me was starting slow. This time last year (before they knew what the heck was wrong with me) the most I could do was tether myself while in a pool and run in deep water, that was it, and I could only do that for about 20 mins then I was done. I worked gradually up from there to walking, to the elliptical and weights, where I stayed for quite some time. Now I'm back Kickboxing. I only go twice a week and hike about twice a week for exercise, but as long as I take it easy, and if it hurts stop, I"m ok. If I push too hard, I'm out for days. I find that tightening my core during exercise really helps me. But the more I move now, the better I feel. I still always have pain, but I push through it for the most part. good luck.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    bump...for a friend
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    See:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

"Exercise regularly. At first, exercise may increase your pain. But doing it gradually and regularly often decreases symptoms. Appropriate exercises may include walking, swimming, biking and water aerobics. A physical therapist can help you develop a home exercise program. Stretching, good posture and relaxation exercises also are helpful."

Personally....
    I use the elliptical, strength train, stretching & yoga. and take Alieve when needed. :bigsmile:
    I was so bad i couldn't sit down without holding onto something, it was that painful to get into the sitting position, believe it or not squats & lunges really increased my strength & flexibility & I have less frequent leg & hip pain. Now I can go from standing to sitting with no pain & i don't have to hold onto anything. (The 1st week was horribly painful, but now I can't imaging not doing them).

It's a life style, so I adjust to what my body is able to do that day. I do more when my body lets me & less when it doesn't.

I also quit coffee, and that seemed to reduce the amount & frequency of pain. I 'm not sure why, I think it could be because the coffee dehydrated me so much.
    Good luck,

(edit) Diagnosed 2009
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Personally, I push through because I've learned to recognize when it's fibro pain and when it's injury pain. Have to keep in mind that fibro is misfired pain signals, it's not necessarily an injury of any kind. The body hurts more at first because the activity is confusing, and the nerves trigger it as injury, but it's not technically so.

I like cycling, personally, along with regular stretching (whether or not I work out).

I'm hypermobile and have symptomatic degenerative disc disease so I have some issues with stability and get sore often, regardless of what I do. I tend to feel better if I workout a little, but low impact things only. I can say I'm very glad that I'm hypermobile because it eases the potential for major issues, though sometimes I'm too flexible for my own good LOL

Other things that have worked for me, in case you have a really bad case, were adding 120mg of Cymbalta and 800mg of metaxalone, with the occasional dosage of NSAID. When you have these issues, sometimes it's just the nature of the beast to have to take maintenance medications.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have lupus, not fibro, but I do have a lot of pain. Walking is the best and simplest thing for me. sometimes I do the stationary bike but I'm always sore after. Pilates is good if you can get down on the floor-- I use a kindermat instead of a yoga mat because it's thicker and reduces pain for me. Swimming has never been a good option for me because you have to have access to a pool but I've heard it's good too.