BEGINNERS WORKOUT PLAN

Options
This was given to me by a friend who is in the Marines to help me get started in loosing weight. It sounds very simple but it is perfect for beginers new to working out! I will share it with all of you! Once you complete these first four weeks then you can move on to strength training. I will post the strength training curriculum later. It does not mention to do this here but, as I am doing this to join the military myself, I plan on pushing myself as much as possible so I would suggest adding in sit ups, crunches, push ups, planks, running, ect. to this curriculum!!! (: Hope this helps some of you!! PRINT THIS OUT!

What’s the best way to start seeing results?

•To get the best results in a 4 week program, we’re going to focus on weight training in the 8-12 rep range and also on a basic, easy to follow diet. Since most people on a new plan get overwhelmed and quit because of too much to do, we won’t introduce the diet plan until the 2nd week of the workout so that you’re comfortable in your new workout plan.
Who’s this workout for?

•If you have never worked out before but want to get in shape, lose that stubborn body fat and change your life forever.
•If you were previously in shape, but have since fallen off the wagon and want to get back to your old self.
•If you have a busy life and don’t want to spend 2 hrs. in a gym everyday
•If you aren’t seeing results with your current workouts
What will this workout do for me?

If you’re a guy, this workout will…

•Burn lots of fat
•Build muscle in all of your large muscle group areas ( chest, arms, core, thighs, back, butt, calves)
•Boost your metabolism
•Set an excellent foundation for any type of workout program to follow
If you’re a woman, this workout will…

•Burn body fat through your whole body
•Increase your metabolism
•Give you a tight, toned look in your arms, stomach, thighs and butt.
What you’ll find in this article

•Part 1 : A 3 day per week workout which shows you step by step what you need to do at the gym
•Part 2: What to do after you’ve completed the beginner’s workout plan
•Part 3: A very simple and easy to use meal plan to incorporate once you’re comfortable in your workout routine (this will help you lose more fat and look better)

Ok let’s get started…..

The Beginner’s Gym Workout Plan

If you haven’t worked out in a long time, or you’re just starting for the first time, your main goal for the first few weeks will be to learn the correct form for each exercise and to build a base of strength and stability. This will set a good foundation for your workout program.

For the first four weeks, we’ll be doing a warmup and two exercises each day. For many people who are used to doing a lot of isolation exercises (i.e. bicep curls, calf raises), you might think that two exercises is barely a workout. But the difference here is that we’re doing compound exercises that work the largest muscle groups, which means more definition in your muscles and a higher amount of fat is burned.

———————————————————————————–

Week 1 workout
Monday

•Warm up for 3-5 minutes by either jumping rope, doing jumping jacks, using a rower machine or riding a stationary bike
•Squats - 1 set of 12 repetitions with no barbell and then 3 sets of 12 repetitions with the barbell (no added weights
•Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 12 reps with the barbell
Notes: Rest 60-90 seconds between each set

Wednesday

•Warm up for 3-5 minutes by either jumping rope, using a rower machine or riding a stationary bike
•Deadlift – 3 sets of 12 repetitions with the barbell. (see note #2 below)
•Chin ups/pull ups – 3 sets of 8 reps (see note #3 below if you cant do a chinup yet)
Note: Take a 60-90 second rest between each set

Note 2: To perform the deadlift with just a barbell, you’ll need to put the bar on something about 6-8 inches high to simulate the height the bar would be if there were weight plates on it. My suggestions would be putting the hooks on the squat bar really low, stacking weights up, using step ups or stools, use fake plastic plates or use plyo boxes. The goal is to simulate the height that the bar would be with real plates on it.

Note 3: If you can’t complete 8 chinups (most newbies can’t) there are a few ways to get assistance. Use an assisted chinup machine at the gym which will provide assistance for you and help push you up. Make sure the asssistance you use makes it hard to finish 8 reps (dont use it as a trampoline!) You can also use stretch bands by hanging them over the top of a squat rack and hooking them under your feet. Your last option is to have a partner hold your feet and help push you up and down.

Friday

•Warm up for 3-5 minutes by either jumping rope, using a rower machine or riding a stationary bike
•Squats - 1 set of 12 repetitions with no barbell and then 3 sets of 12 repetitions with the barbell (no added weights
•Bench Press – 3 sets of 12 repetitions with the barbell (no weight added). If the barbell is too heavy then use dumbbells that allow you to do 12 reps.

Week 2 workout

Monday

•Warm up for 3-5 minutes by either jumping rope, doing jumping jacks, using a rower machine or riding a stationary bike
•Deadlift – 3 sets of 12 repetitions with the barbell.
•Chin ups/pull ups – 3 sets of 8 reps

Wednesday

•Bench Press – 3 sets of 12 repetitions with the barbell (no weight added). If the barbell is too heavy then use dumbbells that allow you to do 12 reps.
Note: Rest 60-90 seconds between each set

Friday

•Deadlift – 3 sets of 12 repetitions with the barbell.
•Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 12 reps with the barbell

Week 3 workout
Note: Add in our simple diet plan during week 3

By now you should have a good grasp of all of the basic exercises we’re going to be working with. If you still can’t complete the workouts listed above with the barbell as weight that’s perfectly fine. Just continue the two week workout above for another two weeks before moving on to the Week 3 workout.

For week 3, we’re gonna add two new elements to your workout…

•a simple diet plan
•weight to the barbell (unless you feel you’re not ready)
If you’ve made it through the two workouts above and feel like you can add weight to the bar, then we’ll add weight in this workout.

To add weight to the bar, you’ll want to add a weight that makes it hard to do 12 reps. Notice I said 12 reps, not 13 or 14! If you’re putting up more than 12 reps, it’s not enough weight. Your last few reps should be very tough to eek out. Also make sure you are completing all 12 reps with GOOD form. If you have to do half assed shoulder presses to get 12 done, then the weight is too much. Proper form is much more important than lifting more weight.

This is really a trial and error process with picking a weight, but a good place to start would be to add about 15 lbs to each end of the bar (30 lbs total) and then move up or down from there to find your correct weight for 12 reps.

Monday

•Squats – 1 set of 12 reps with just the barbell, and then 3 sets of 12 reps with the added weight
•Shoulder Press – 1 set of 12 reps with just the barbell, and then 3 sets of 12 reps with the added weight

Wednesday

•Deadlift – 1 set of 12 reps with just the barbell, and then 3 sets of 12 reps with the added weight

Friday

•Squats – 1 set of 12 reps with just the barbell, and then 3 sets of 12 reps with the weight added
•Bench Press – 1 set of 12 reps with just the barbell, and then 3 sets of 12 reps with the weight added

Week 4 Workout
Ok its week 4 now, and we’re almost finished with the 4 week beginner program. Time to finish strong. If you look back at your notes from last week, you should check to see if you need to add/lose some of the weight on the bar.

If you were falling short of the 12 reps, you’ll need to lose some of the weight plates, and if you were pumping out 12 reps rather easily you’ll need to add some more weight to the bar.

Monday

•Deadlift – 1 set of 12 reps with just the bar, and then 3 sets of 12 repetitions with weight added.

Wednesday

•Squats - 1 set of 12 repetitions with the barbell and then 3 sets of 12 repetitions with the weights added
•Bench Press – 1 set of 12 reps with just the barbell, and then 3 sets of 12 repetitions with the weight added. If the barbell is too heavy then use dumbbells that allow you to do 12 reps.
Note: Rest 60-90 seconds between each set

Friday

•Deadlift – 1 set of 12 reps with just the barbell, and then 3 sets of 12 repetitions with the weight added
•Shoulder Press - 1 set of 12 reps with the barbell and then 3 sets of 12 reps with the weight added.

What to do after you’re done with week 4…
After you’ve completed the 4 week beginner’s workout program, we’re going to up the intensity and work on building more strength and muscle. We built you up a good base with the beginner’s program, but now it’s time to build as much strength as possible.

In the beginning stages of working out (1-9 months) you’re going to see the biggest gains in strength. Adding 10-20 lbs on the bar every squat session is not uncommon. You’ll also see noticeable results in how you feel and the way your body looks. Your muscles will show more, and the fat is going to start melting off your body.

So after you’re done with the beginner’s program, get started immediately on the strength training program or if you’re a guy and you’re looking to put on some muscle mass, you should check out the muscle building workout. You’ll see some GREAT results!

Replies

• heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • littletiger97
    littletiger97 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I am doing something very similar to this. Mon Wed Fri.

I am doing squat, bench, over head press, deadlift, row and chin ups. Neg pull ups to finish sets of chin ups I can't finish which is all the time lol.

I've been doing for it bout 2 weeks. The difference for me is I didn't start with no weight I started light though. For example 40kg bench approx 88lbs, 44lbs squat. Started light, I recommend doing the same. I have increased every session on every exercise until I can't finish my 8,8,8. Then I will stay at that weight until I can. I'm wasn't busting my *kitten* starting with weight, but lifting a 10kg bar is too easy to start for me. 2 weeks later Ive gone from 88lb bench to approx 154lbs with a one rep max of 192lbs so far. Lost 4lbs in the first week. I dare say I wouldn't have lost that much doing it with no weight. Start light and slowly increase each time.. Why sit a lower weight if you can complete your sets 10lbs heavier?
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Also doing all of those exercises every workout. Just feel it out and see how you go, you'll know if it's tooooo easy add a LITTLE weight to begin with Nd work up from there:)
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump