New & Needs Help/Motivation

Options
I am 29 years old with 3 small children. Their ages are 9, 6, and 3. I am a single mother. They rely on me 100%. I am all they have to depend on. Within the last year I have gained 30 pounds. I am on medication for hypertension as well. The other night I ended up in the ER with chest pains. I need to get healhy for my health and for my children. I want to get back to my old weight, so I can fit into the numerous clothes I have in that size. I cannot afford a gym membership, so everything I do has to be at home. I am currently laid off from my job (got laid off 2 weeks before Christmas), so depression has also set in. I really need to get motivated, and learn to love myself again! Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• chippywelsh
    chippywelsh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You sound very down but you clearly are motivated to do something about your situation. I've been there lots of times and it's a constant journey sometimes easier than other times. I find the best help I've ever had (I'm in my late 40s so a longer journey than yourself!) is to find friends - on social networks is helpful but you can't beat actual friends - 3D, analogue ones! When you get talking to people they're nearly always somewhere in the same place as yourself - whether it's lonely, feeling fat and unfit, depressed, tired, etc etc. It's so surprising what you get back when you open up to others. So my advice is actively seek out some new friends and support, make sure you're taking time out of being a Mum which is just for you - other mothers? Groups? You need to get out and talk to people. You may think you're too busy, no childcare, no money, too tired but there's a way around everything if you make a plan.
    Don't take depression lightly, it's horrendous, I feel for you. Ask for help, are there other mums at the school who'd be interested in a walking group? Just short walks to start with, I bet there are other mums who'd jump at the chance, it's free and you get the chance to talk and get to know other people. Is there a school notice board or somewhere you could post a note?
    Hope this helps a bit : )
  • SJH711
    SJH711 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! :-) My boyfriend's sister in law has been supportive. We just live a bit away from each other. I just met a neighbor above me willing to start working out with me as well. I really need to get healthy for my kids and myself.