Is going over on protein,fiber and sodium.....OK??? Help

Options
2»

Replies

• TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you mean by "going over." What are your protein and fiber intake set at?
    I've noticed a lot of people on here have their fiber intake set pretty low (around 15mg/day), and if you're doing any lifting or strength training, you're going to want to make sure you're getting enough protein to help build and repair your muscles.

As for sodium, MFP defaults to setting it pretty high (2500mg). Many dieticians, nutritionists and doctors will tell you it's not a good idea to continually go over 1500mg a day.

I generally try to look at sodium content in food before checking out the calories. It's just not worth the bloat! If you're eating processed/canned/take-out or restaurant food on a daily basis, they like to hide oodles of sodium there.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    What killed me on the sodium was the one cup of cottage cheese. I thought I'd get lots protein, which I did, but wow I did not look at the sodium. It was ton 880 mg. YUCK. I surely need to watch that, sodium for sure.

Try Fiber One cottage cheese. It has about 440mg of sodium. I just recently made the switch. It also has 4g of fiber!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Even going over sodium isn't a huge drama, if you work out hard and sweat a lot you need to replace it anyway. Also, it's only a major concern for those with heart problems and high blood pressure and for bloating....
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    Go lower on sodium and carbs (than what the FDA says)

The fear mongering and idiocy continues.
  • knjantz
    knjantz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My nutritional director told me I could eat as much fiber and protein as I wanted as it's never a 'bad thing' but she did warn about keeping sodium as low as possible.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You can customize the MyFitnessPal recommended percentages of carbs, protein and fat if you want to. Under your Home tab, there is a goals tab. Click that and manually reset your goals. It will keep all the automatically calculated information, but you can change the percentages, grams of fiber, or sugar, etc.

For instance, my doctor recommended a lower (not low) carb diet, so I set my goals to 35% carbs, 35% protein, 30% fat. I was tired of it bugging me about sugar if I ate any fruit, so raised my sugar grams, and raised my fiber setting as well. Sodium I left alone, but I have noticed it does make me retain water when I go over on sodium, so I weigh a pound or two more the day after.