Strength training...where to start?

Options
driaxx
driaxx Posts: 314 Member
So from the top, I'm a 5"2 female weighing 90.2lb and I'd like to tone up and put on a bit of muscle (mostly top half as my legs are naturally quite muscly from my soccer days).

I usually do 1hr of cardio every day or every second day and have never even thought of taking up strength training before until a friend dragged me to t he gym.

Now I've been to the gym twice but it's too expensive for me to get a membership so I'd like to start a strength training program at home.

My question is not only what exercises people could recommend, but also how I should change my nutrition. I obviously don't want to put on all my weight again (maybe 4lb if needed) but I don't know how to change my eating habits to assist in toning up.

I was previously on 1,200 cal a day while loosing weight and my BMR is aprox 1440.

Any bits of advice or recommendations would be really helpful and I'd thank you forever :D

I was also considering looking into buying a set of adjustable dumbells like so:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-20kg-Adjustable-Dumbbells-10kg-Each-Bar-/120831084304?pt=AU_Strength_Training&hash=item1c22180710#ht_500wt_955

Or resistance bands?

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    i use the book New rules of lifting for women. It's a really good resource and great for women starting a strength routine. Quite a few of the women here use it.
  • driaxx
    Options
    i use the book New rules of lifting for women. It's a really good resource and great for women starting a strength routine. Quite a few of the women here use it.

Thanks, I've seen that name floating around, I'll have a look into it!
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too as I would love to start lifting weights
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'll second that New Rules of Lifting is a good place to start. I'll also mention that to gain any noticeable amount of muscle, you'll need to increase your calories -- 1200 + exercise calories is definitely not enough. According to the information you gave you're also seriously underweight, so a few hundred extra calories are probably a good idea no matter what.
  • driaxx
    Options
    I'll second that New Rules of Lifting is a good place to start. I'll also mention that to gain any noticeable amount of muscle, you'll need to increase your calories -- 1200 + exercise calories is definitely not enough. According to the information you gave you're also seriously underweight, so a few hundred extra calories are probably a good idea no matter what.

Yeah I agree, I'd like to inc. my calories, I just don't know how to go about it as silly as that sounds. That's why I started to look into gaining muscle mass as opposed to fat. I'm sick of looking scrawny, but cardio + watching calories are the only things I know how to do when it comes to maintaining my weight...
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Have heard good things about NROL.

Also, it's obligatory to mention Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5.
  • RachelGraceReed83
    RachelGraceReed83 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump...interested in starting strength training as well
  • enginerd81
    Options
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-videos/

If you don't have access to a gym there's some body weight how to's at the above website
  • driaxx
    Options
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-videos/

If you don't have access to a gym there's some body weight how to's at the above website

This site is looking pretty good! Thanks!!!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS!

Plus I would actually look into what your TDEE is and eat more calories as you will need them for lifting. Your BMR is not your maintenance allowance.
  • driaxx
    Options

^^^ THIS!

Plus I would actually look into what your TDEE is and eat more calories as you will need them for lifting. Your BMR is not your maintenance allowance.

Oops, I meant my maintenance allowance that MFP recommends is 1,400. My BMR is about 1,240.

I will definitely look into this book since everyone recommends it! Can someone please give me insight on whether most of its tips are Gym based or does it also include advice on home workouts?
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you can get a hold of any Jillian Michaels dvds then they're great for strength. I just recently started 3 weeks ago or so and feel so much stronger.

Good luck on your journey :heart:
  • enginerd81
    Options
    Most of it is gym based. Our local library had both versions of the book. Standard and for women,

Try your library before you buy. Even if they only have the standard one most of the info is the same.

^^^ THIS!

Oops, I meant my maintenance allowance that MFP recommends is 1,400. My BMR is about 1,240.

I will definitely look into this book since everyone recommends it! Can someone please give me insight on whether most of its tips are Gym based or does it also include advice on home workouts?
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels No more trouble zones is a pretty good starting point to get the form down on the basic moves. You need 2 dumbells and maybe a mat. I do it with 7 lbs dumbells but if you really want to make to most out of it go heavier and remember to up them as soon as you feel you have the strength for it.

Ripped in 30 level 1 and 2 incorparates a lot of upper body, shoulders, chest, triceps so its a good choice also.