hypothyroidism ?

Options
I had my annually pap/breast/pelvic exam today and she noticed I had a nodule on my thyroid. She said it is possible I have hypothyroidism. I was just curious if anyone has this problem and what it has done in preventing weight loss. I've been working out for the last 3 months, yet have shed very little. Now the hypochondriac in me is coming out, but is it possible I have shed less than I normally would because of a thyroid problem?

I haven't gotten the test results back. As I have said, just curious about anyone with similar circumstances.

Replies

• melj6807
    melj6807 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and yes, it can cause a lack of weight loss/weight gain. I am on hormone replacement therapy, I will take a pill a day for the rest of my life. I (so far) have lost 25 lbs, with much more to go, but overall you will feel better. I would say that I feel normal again, but I don't remember my "normal" ever being this good. If you see that you are not losing weight after your med levels are balanced, I would have her test you for PCOS. I have this as well and it can be a major factor in weight loss/gain. Don't worry...I am sure you'll be ok :-)
  • EllieKaye
    EllieKaye Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm going to the Doctors today for a thyroid test. I was supposed to schedule an appointment sooner than today, but college and life got in the way. Last time I was in, he felt my neck and said it felt like I have an enlarged thyroid, and wanted to see me after I was over my illness. My neck has been large for years, but it literarlly feels like I'm breathing through a straw, and it's hard to swallow. My weight loss has stopped, I gained 5 lbs back, haven't lost anything again, despite my hardwork. So hopefully I get my answer. I'm also hoping to god that it's tied to my anxiety attacks and insomnia as well.
  • nixrun
    nixrun Posts: 44
    Options
    It's funny you say anxiety attacks and insomnia because I have been experiencing both of those in the last year. I also had an increase in depression where I was on anti-depressants all of last year. I cold turkey'd them at the beginning of February and replaced it with B1 vitamin. Didn't get any side effects whatsoever.
  • darcialarosa
    darcialarosa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good luck today. I would definitely say my hypo has led to a slow weight loss...I'm doing everything else right, but some weeks i don't lose anything! So frustrating!
    Let us know what the doctor says...hopefully he/she will be able to help you!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for about 11 years..but got diagnosed about a year ago. My doc has me on Armour as the med...and its worked wonders for me..
    Not only has it helped me shed weight..but has helped with the lack of energy and stuff...

oh..and as Melj said above about PCOS...usually Hypothyroid/PCOS/Insulin Resistance..all go hand in hand..and yes..I have all 3...the perfect trifecta...NOT>>
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have a thyroid issue and i take meds for it. It really does mess thing up in the weight department. I have a very hard time loosing weight period! no problem gaining it,lol... I just had my dose doubled last oct and had my results done again n nov to see how the meds were working. it made a huge difference but i am still not loosing weight,... I go back at the end of mar to get my blood work tested again, so we iwll see. I have been stuck at a plateau for almost 3 months now :(
  • jillsergeant
    Options
    I have had hypothryoidism for five years. I recommend taking a few books out of the library to read up on it. Things to know are that your TSH level can range from I think 1.6 to 5.7. If your TSH falls within that range they call that normal. But if you are 5.3 for example that may still be slow for you and you would benefit from some synthroid. The medication is truly a great thing. After five years I am on 112 mcg of synthroid which has really alleviated/gotten rid of most of my symptoms. Sooo many women have hypothyroidism. When I found out I had it about five of my friends said, oh, yeah, I have that too.
  • small3df
    small3df Posts: 1
    Options
    My thyroid was out of whack last year and it cause insomnia and anxiety. Once I got my thyroid meds regulated everything is back to normal and I am losing weight too. Don't be scared of going to the doctor. If it is thyroid related it can be regulated and you can get back to life.
  • 4hippos
    4hippos Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also having depression and slow weight loss problems. In October I found out that my thyroid function was low. Because I also was having some issues with painful ovarian cysts we tested my iodine levels. Iodine helps your thyroid to function (hormone production, metabolic functions, etc.) My iodine was pretty low. So it may be something you bring up to the doctor to check. Low iodine can cause goiters and that may be the bump on your neck (enlarged thyroid)? Its worth testing. Good luck :)
  • rogerbeil
    Options
    Hypothryoidism is very easy to live with so don't stress out. Note - when taking hypothryoid med's be sure your pharmacy DOES NOT use a generic replacement for what your doc has prescribed. Dosages are in small precise increments and generic brands are not as accurate (nor are the required to be). Something to discuss with your doc as it could have a bearing on your results. Good luck.
  • indigoheart
    Options
    i have hypothyroidism. it's very hard for me to lose weight. very frustrating. i'm on meds and they're helping a lot. i hope you have a doctor that doesn't judge by the normal span of what is acceptable. it's just too high, i think. lots of people have sluggish thyroids but aren't on meds for it because those levels just weren't out of the acceptable range, which is a tragedy. i was in the normal range for so long before i fell out of that range and now that i'm on the meds i can tell (by how i feel now) that my thyroid was out of wack for *years*. if you want a second opinion, go to an endochrinologist. they judge on a much narrower scale. good luck! keep us informed, okay?
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed in 07 because I had 2 growths on them. Fortunately they were benign, but it did take a long time to get my thyroid medicine levels regulated and in that time, I gained about 30 more pounds (I was already obese). I finally have my medicines stabalized and am currently doing well with losing weight, but my thyroid has been a hinderence in the past. I take Synthroid (only the name brand for this one) and then the generic version of Cytomel every day. I fought with my doctor for over a year trying to get her to add the T3 to my regime, and I'm so glad I didn't give up the fight. I went from crashing everyday at 2pm (even with the Synthroid and my tsh test at 'normal' levels) to having enough energy to get through the day. It's awesome! Like another poster said, I would say I feel normal, but I don't ever remember my normal feeling this good. I recommend the book "Living well with hypothyroidism: what your doctor doesn't tell you ... that you need to know". It really helped me to understand what was going on with my body and what I could do about it.

Good luck and I hope that you are able to get your Thyroid issues straightened out.