Feeling defeated from 30DS. Help!

Options
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post (but I read a lot of threads) and I am feeling desperate for advice/help. I have been doing about 2-4 miles of Leslie Sansone videos every day since Jan 2 (Sundays are my rest day) and decided to start the 30DS as well. I just finished Day 6 of Level 1. Let me say that I really do give it my all and complete the whole session. I do feel stronger and noticed my pants are fitting better but I'm having a few issues.

One problem is that I've had 2 c-sections (last one was 2 yrs ago) and I'm having an extemely hard time with the push ups. It feels like where incision is that there is just something very wrong going on. Second is that my muscles are still feeling pulled and ripped apart. Third is that after I finish the session I feel like giving up and I'm not really sure why. I just hurt so badly for a few hours afterwards muscle wise.

I guess I would like to know if this is normal to feel this way. I keep telling myself that my muscles will feel better soon and I'm not going to stop but I know my mind set isn't in the right spot. Any advice out there?

Replies

• Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    One problem is that I've had 2 c-sections (last one was 2 yrs ago) and I'm having an extemely hard time with the push ups. It feels like where incision is that there is just something very wrong going on. Second is that my muscles are still feeling pulled and ripped apart. Third is that after I finish the session I feel like giving up and I'm not really sure why. I just hurt so badly for a few hours afterwards muscle wise.

I've not had a c-section, but I did have a complete hysterectomy and sometimes with certain exercises (for me it's a plank move, where you bring your knee to the chest and bring it to the opposite side) where I feel pulling from my insides. I just don't do those exercises and pick an alternate. If you feel like something isn't right, like for real, then choose something you are comfortable doing but along the same lines. Maybe try the pushups on the wall. If it keeps bothering you, I'd ask your doctor.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've never been in your situation .... but it doesn't sound like something you should "push" thru. Look for a workout that is less intense or (at least) gives you some modifications. Start there, and then move up.

A couple of good starter DVDs for strength

Power Fit, with Stephanie Huckabee. These are 20 minute routines that use a resistance band. The core & flexibility segments are wonderful. I still use these for crappy, crampy days. Use 2 or 3 routines when you are ready for more.

Nteflix streams "Pick Your Level Pilates" by Ellen Barrett. This is low-intermediate, but gives modifications for everything.

Kelly Coffey Meyers Start Here - This is new, so I have not tried this. Most of her DVDs give lots & lots of modifications, and this one is labeled beginner/intermediate. Kelly is very encouraging.
  • spoiledmiss
    Options
    I did Level 1 for 10 minutes today and it kicked my butt, aside from daily elliptical use this is the only tape I've done in forever.

I had a c-section but it was almost 15 years ago and I havent noticed any issue with push ups, maybe that is due to the amount of time it's been since I had mine.

I do want to continue the Shred, but maybe I'll do babysteps and start with 10 minutes a day until I feel more used to it.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    As a fellow 2 C-section mom, it does not sound normal. It shouldn't hurt like that, and certainly not after the exercise is over. Did you have any infection or open stitches issue? It is best to check with your doctor before doing those moves.
    I had no strength in my ab muscles when I started 30DS (my second section was 18 months ago at that point) but I built up core strength and can do planks now infact they're my favorites in level 2. Definitely something is up.
  • jetsgirl
    jetsgirl Posts: 50
    Options
    Thank you for the support! I have been doing the push ups on the wall and that doesn't hurt. My incision doesn't hurt after working out, just doing those hell-like push ups. Even all the ab work doesn't hurt it, just the push ups. But I feel so weak after in my legs and arms which is hard being a mom of a 4 and 2 yr old. Also, I run a home daycare so I usually do it at night when my kids are in bed but the last two days I've had off so I did it in the morning. Maybe that is where I'm going wrong. I should stick to doing it at night.

Your support means so much! It has already helped my mind set!
  • jetsgirl
    Options
    Thank you very much for your recommendations! I will definitely try the Netflix one tomorrow and look at the other ones soon : )
  • jetsgirl
    Options
    I didn't have any problems incision wise at all. I'm already afraid of the planks in level 2 but I used to be really good at them a year ago and suprisingly, didn't bother my incision at all after only 12 months of the last c-section
  • meanface1
    meanface1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    when I first started doing 30 day shred, I would just lie on the floor for 10-15 minutes totally exhausted when it was over. That lasted until I got to level 2. When I completed the 30 days, I went back to level one again and couldn't believe how much easier it was. It is ok to do modifications--i didn't do any of the jumping or planks and I still got really good results.
  • jetsgirl
    Options
    That's good to know that you still got good results opting out on some of the exercises. I really want to go the full 30 days and then start over just like you did!