Being Sore

Options
What are your opinions on being sore?? I've always heard to take a break for a day when your body is sore. But i feel like thats not accurate. Or maybe it is?? My arms & legs are killing me today. But i feel like i should push through that & still work out tonight. Any expertise?!:wink:

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends on how sore - if it's just 'normal" muscle soreness that feels better with a little stretching and isn't causing major discomfort, a workout will help stretch you out. If you're so sore that it hurts to move, and you're moaning & groaning every time you do move, I would say take a day off and let those muscles heal! Been there, done that!
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    Oops youre right, should have specified. Not like crazy discomfort sore. just hurts when i walk kinda sore.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Oops youre right, should have specified. Not like crazy discomfort sore. just hurts when i walk kinda sore.

It's inflammation in the connective tissue. It's fine to workout with, it should feel better after a warm up and some stretching.
  • caasca
    caasca Posts: 2
    Options
    Try switching off the muscle groups your working on. Trade off days for upper body, lower body, abs and core.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If its just genral muscle fatigue then I'd work through it.
    So long as it's not 'I've injured myself' sore!! :-)
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Depends on how sore

This. I usually push through-- but today, my calves are SO sore, I'm limping. I'm going to rest today.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm generally for active recovery. When I'm really sore from a run, I find a shorter run or going for a walk usually makes me feel better than just sitting around doing nothing.
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    I've found that that "general soreness/discomfort" goes away as I exercise. So I say work through it. If it's really sore, or if you've been exercising a lot lately, I'd take a day off.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness should be worked out. Just some light stretching to loosen them up a bit.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If i'm really sore from lifting, I go for a run to loosen it all up and FOAM ROLL :)
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I push thru and workout anyway...it goes away faster.
  • PlasticPsycho
    Options
    Actually when your muscles are sore then it's because of very tiny muscle fibre torns ~ which means, that when you work out they get bigger and you can get seriously injured.
    That doesn't mean you can't do anything when having sore muscles, but try to focus on other bodyparts or at least don't overwhelm your muscles too much
  • PlasticPsycho
    Options
    By the way I love the feeling of sore muscels :D
    It shows me that what my work out was worth it :)
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    By the way I love the feeling of sore muscels :D
    It shows me that what my work out was worth it :)

i love that feeling also :)
    But thanks everyone!