Any 30something working family men (or women)?

Options
Jacwhite22
Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
I am interested in getting some more friends who are kind of in the same boat that I am. Since having kids my health had degraded because it has been all about them. Between work and family time (kids and wife) I have a hard time finding time to get to the gym etc. I have a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old and while I would not change a thing it does make "me" time more difficult. I would like to connect with others going through the same struggles as well.

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'm about to be in the same boat. 31 years old and our first baby is due at the end of June... bye bye, sleep!
  • jenniferlynn2477
    jenniferlynn2477 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 with a 7 year old. Having time to do what you want or need is a thing of the past and I'm assuming it will be like this for years to come. I'm lucky that my husband and I try to give each other time to exercise during the week. We have a treadmill and it is that half hour to an hour of the day that we give each other and the other one takes care of our daughter. It is easier to just grab something quick and eat, but I've learned at the same time to make sure I have things around the house that are lower in calories so when I do that I'm not ruining my progress for the day. Good luck and I'm sure things will start to turn around!
  • rayvon1982
    Options
    Hey pal

I am 30 with 2 kids not been on here long......I know what you mean kids come first but time to get off your *kitten* and stop watching spongebob :) I have been running for about 4 weeks and cycling allot too. I found this helped me to get going found it on runners world.

Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
    Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
    Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
    Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
    Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
    Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
    Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
    Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously

Keep counting the calories and watching what you eat and trust me you will start to feel good in a couple of weeks first run is the hardest.

Good luck add me if ya wish
    James
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I are scheduled to within an inch of our lives, between work, kids, church and working out, but we have found a schedule that works for us. We rarely workout together and somedays the time slots are not ideal (before work or after church Wed night), but it is important to both of us, so we do it. Besides we are nicer when we exercise and that makes life more fun. Add if you'd like.
  • LindaLou0802
    LindaLou0802 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am also in the same boat! I have a 2 year old, and like you, between family time and working full time, it is hard. My health has gone down since my daughter, though she is also the most wonderful thing to happen to me. I think it has been more stress, no me time - workouts or relaxing, and not doing a very good job meal planning. If I get home with her around 6 and don't have something ready for dinner, we end up making something quick and easy, which is not always healthy. The one thing I have started doing is going to a zumba class 2 evenings and 1 on the weekend. My husband will watch her those two nights while I am gone. It is hard for me to take time away from them, but I realized I had to schedule some time for me, so I can be healthier for them. You are not alone!
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    29 here!! And I will be the BIG 3-0 in September!!! AHHHHH!!!! My weight loss goal somewhat reflects that. I would love to lose 30 before I'm 30 :happy: I too am a busy Mom of 3 wonderful kids that I love to death!! I also work though since having our 3rd I was lucky enough to only return part-time, 4 days a week. Working out has always been a part of my life but my diet was the issue. I basically ate like I was a teenager and it caught up! Time to get things rolling and be a HOT Mom and wife!!! :laugh: I couldn't be on this journey if it wasn't for my super supportive husband! I try to fit my workouts in so they don't hurt my family time. That means very early mornings a lot but that just isn't always possible so thankful my hubby allows me to sneak out every now and then! Good luck track your calories honestly and try to sneak a workout in when you can. It will make you a better, happier, and healthier husband and daddy! Feel free to add me for encouragement!
  • Sam426f
    Sam426f Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am a 34 year old mum of a scrumptious little 22 month old boy :heart: , I have a lovely supportive partner :heart: who allows me the odd evening out to exercise to help reach my ultimate goal of becoming a yummy mummy!

I work part time, 4 days per week in a pretty stressful environment, although if the truth be told I find I work harder on my day off what with the amount of cooking, cleaning and washing to get through!

I am not sure if it is since hitting my 30's or having children, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to shift the lbs. I'd love to be included in any group in a similar situation, it'll be great to share hints and tips.

Have a nice day guys,
    Sam:smile:
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My kids are older than yours. 12 and 17 years of age. If you have a YMCA in your area I would suggest looking into them because my Y does free child care. They also have things you can do as a family for fun. I have a grand daughter 2 years of age from my step daughter and she loves to play at the Y. I think your kids are a perfect age to instill healthy eating habits. Good luck.
  • BradNC
    BradNC Posts: 51
    Options
    In the same boat here. 37yo with wife and a 10yo son and 7yo (going on 18!) daughter. I switched jobs about a year ago and found my 6am gym time impacted by my need to commute further. To complicate matters, my all my career (IT) I've been behind a desk. Since I started this new job, I created a home gym/free weights and I'm moving forward again. Would love to have some additional friends in the same boat. Feel free to add me!
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm RIGHT there with ya!! :) Single mom in my 30's and I have finally taken the bull by the horns and said, "I'm going to start caring about ME, too!" :) Feel free to add me...more friends = more support, and you can never have enough!! :smile:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input.... I have been an athlete most of my life (till kids) and was still playing soccer on a men's team until about 6 mos ago when I tore my groin. I am able to jog again and try to do it a couple times a week. My biggest issue is finding the motivation (I wont say time because there is always time.....its just about priorities). My typical day is as follows: get the kids ready and off to school. get to work about 9AM. Work through lunch.....get home around 7. Help get my daughter in bed......eat dinner with the family.......Get my son ready for bed and in bed by 8:30......Spend 30-90 minutes with my wife before she goes to bed and then try to work out around 10:00. Its just tough to get myself going at 10 after Ive been going all day. There are also many nights we end up grabbing food out because I get home too late to cook on a regular basis and my wife hates cooking. If I do watch TV it's usually a little bit at night with my wife.
    Hey pal

I am 30 with 2 kids not been on here long......I know what you mean kids come first but time to get off your *kitten* and stop watching spongebob :) I have been running for about 4 weeks and cycling allot too. I found this helped me to get going found it on runners world.

Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
    Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
    Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
    Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
    Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
    Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
    Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
    Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously

Keep counting the calories and watching what you eat and trust me you will start to feel good in a couple of weeks first run is the hardest.

Good luck add me if ya wish
    James
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    In same boat here as well with two kids aged 6 & 8. Now that they're a bit more independent, I've become a bit more selfish (for lack of a better word) with my time. I turned my life around last year and lost 65 lbs. I now go to the gym 3-5 times per week and am working on strength training. Anyone can feel free to add me if you're looking for motivation/support/ideas.