Personal Trainer????

Options
I need some help with this please!?!? I joined the gym a few months back and finally got around to doing my "fitness assessment". So I have 35.6% body fat! I knew that it would be high. Now my question is this....do I need this personal trainer? They talk the big talk with what they'll do to help you and all but it's really quite expensive. I'm just wondering if anyone is using a trainer or if you're managing on your own? Any suggestions?

Replies

• gbargsley
    gbargsley Posts: 55
    Options
    I went the first 8 months last year working out on my own and eating better and lost 60 pounds. I then met a trainer at my gym. Figured it would be a good idea to take it to the next level and learn more about nutrition and exercise so I signed up for twice a week PT sessions. Lost only 40 pounds the last half of the year. However, I feel more fit and my stamina is a lot better and my core is stronger. I have lost inches in different areas.

I have had the same thought the past couple weeks as it is about that time to renew for another 6 months and not sure if I am recouping the cost. Although everyone tells me not to focus on the scale, that is by far the most important thing to me on this weight loss journey.

I would try it out and see how it goes, hopefully you don't have one of those crappy gyms that makes you commit to one year at a time. I got sucked in to one of those a few years back and lost a lot of money.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    The purpose of a trainer is to assist you on issues you can't seem to fix on your own. As a trainer myself, I then take it upon myself to create a program I know you will be able to do and continue with the rest of your life. I don't WANT to keep you forever. I would hope that after 6 months, we would be done unless you have more than 50lbs to lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I <3 my trainer. He's awesome. Kicks my *kitten*. I knew I needed guidance when I started lifting weights and doing heavy strength training, and I was completely unfamiliar with it. Even if you just get 2 or 3 sessions to get you started and learn proper form, I'd say it's worth it.
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    I work out with a trainer once a week. I met her through church and we use the fitness center at the church. She has helped my strength and stamina and I always learn a new exercise or two each week. It is also a way to make sure that I do a really good workout at least once a week - especially if I haven't been motivated to work out.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I get a fitness assessment done every 3 months or so to check my progress (I don't really rely on the scale, I care more about body fat % and inches), and about every 6 months or so I'll sign up for a couple training sessions at my gym. I know how to work out, and I have a really good repertoire of exercises that I do, but it never hurts to get some input from an objective source. Plus, every time I have a training session I add a few new exercises to my list so I'm always changing it up at the gym.

A really good trainer will assist you in achieving your goals and set you up with a plan that you can do on your own. I know that with my gym membership itself, paying for a trainer once a week would be WAY too expensive, so I just take the advice they give during my few sporadic sessions and incorporate it into my regular work outs.

I say sign up for a couple sessions, don't commit to some big package they'll undoubtedly try to sell you (I know at my gym the trainers are given special incentives for how many packages they cal sell etc, don't buy into it), but get a couple sessions and be very clear with your fitness goals. And be picky about your trainer, they are not all created equally :) Good luck!
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I joined Lifetime Fitness last summer. I had a goal to lose 150 lbs and had never been in a gym before. I was very intimidated by the equipment and hadn't a clue how to use any of it. I decided that a trainer was necessary for me to learn the ropes.

She's been awesome - very supportive and the scheduled appointments kept me focused when it would have been easy to wander off. We met twice a week at first, now once a week, and eventually it will be once a month then none.

To me, it wasn't just the money (which was intimidating, too, but we made it work) -- but an investment in myself and WELL worth it.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I hate my trainer - her workouts kick my butt. Wait? What? That's what she's supposed to do?
    Seriously, though, she's helping me focus my training for a marathon I want to do in September in Switzerland (Jungfrau) that will be very challenging. I'm really happy with what she's giving me to do and I'm seeing results - getting stronger, more fit, my mile times are getting faster, etc. Before, I was just running miles, now my training has more of a purpose.
  • bamazav
    bamazav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Statistics show that you are more likely to achieve your goal with a trainer or partner. How much they can help is usually dependent upon a few qualifications. 1.) How well you do in the kitchen. 80% of the fight is with what you eat not your exercise. 2.) How devoted you are to the goal at hand. 3.) The trainer.

IMHO, if you are not up to the first two, you can have the best trainer in the world and all you will accomplish is exercise.
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and well lets say i get better workouts and feed back from the group weight lifiting classes i take... but i am glad i did get one, they helped alot, i am just having an issue with the one i have, i do however get a different one this friday so i hope he works out better.. check at your gym for group classes, i was terrified at first but they help alot.. maybe you wont need one....
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I had to commit to mine for a year. $140.00 a month plus my gym membership of 29.99. I struggle to pay for it but I'm glad I am seeing him. It does help. If you can swing the payment I so go for it.
  • bigalope
    bigalope Posts: 4
    Options
    LOVE my trainer!!! She has helped me set goals, figure out what foods to eat, helps me fine tune my work out plans and pushes me like I can NEVER push myself! She hands me heavier weights with a smile and increases my reps when I'm least paying attention, LOL!!! I have worked with her for a few years now not always one on one, but even taking the classes that she and some of the other trainers hold at my gym. My core strength is so much stronger and there are so many things I can do easily now that I struggled with before (v ups!) My form is GREAT which is key to not hurting yourself and the funniest thing is that I hear her in my head when I am working out alone. I know what I need to do. But I know that I can't do it by myself for too long. There's always something new and different to change things up and help shock your body.

But you need a trainer that you click with and like working with....cuz it's a hate/love relationship!!! I think you should try it and see what you think. And don't be embarassed to switch trainers if you don't feel comfortable with your first one. Some gyms offer a once a month free training session, maybe try that at first.

Good luck!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I used a trainer and loved it, it gave me the basis to continue on my own.

My gym also offers group training and it only costs $30 a month on top of the monthly gym fee - this service is hosted by a trainer with anywhere from 6-20 people in the class and they change the routine every week.

We may also want to look into partner sessions, this way it will cut the cost of a personal trainer in half.

Good luck to you
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've always just done things on my own...and lost 70lbs that way
    but I'm the type of person who likes to research everything...
    so I looked online and in magazines (Woman's Health is my fave)
    I found cardio and strength training exercises I could do to lose weight
    I've just recently started lifting heavier weights and using more of the gym than just the cardio area
    so I just started talking to other people in the gym and asking them questions
    eventually I figured out what I needed to know
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I need some help with this please!?!? I joined the gym a few months back and finally got around to doing my "fitness assessment". So I have 35.6% body fat! I knew that it would be high. Now my question is this....do I need this personal trainer? They talk the big talk with what they'll do to help you and all but it's really quite expensive. I'm just wondering if anyone is using a trainer or if you're managing on your own? Any suggestions?

I started doing cardio only and lost weight but my body fat% was not much different, I wanted muscle because just cardio made me weaker, I got a trainer and said I wanted to focus on strength training and I would take care of the cardio on my own time.One month in and I think it is worth it, I have lost 5% body fat in one month and it's good to have someone saying "Do 5 more" when I'm at my limit and would stop. You won't regret it. It's also good to see yourself get stronger, I went from doing 260lbs on the leg press to doing the max @ 415lbs in 1 month.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I really loved having my personal trainer, but it's not absolutely *necessary* to achieve your goals.

Benefits:
    - Someone to hold you accountable
    - Someone to show you moves and adjust your form
    - Someone to help put you on track
    - Someone to mix up your routines for you
    - Someone to ask questions, bounce ideas off of, etc

Cons:
    - Cost

If you can afford it, I say try it out for a few months. I started out without a trainer for about a year, then had one for almost a year. I loved her! She definitely showed me more efficient ways of doing things and gave me TONS of ideas for new moves and ways to mix up my routine. Now I go to the gym and mix it up every few weeks. Definitely worth the money, in my opinion.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer and it's money well spent IMO. Not only does he keep my workouts new he pushes me to take it to the next level and helps to keep accountable.
  • Zsquared
    Zsquared Posts: 54
    Options
    I love mine too, she keeps me motivated, switches things up constantly, makes me use the machines/weights I had previously thought were just for "boys" and gives me a reason not to cancel on the gym. I only see her once a week but she is the perfect motivation for me since I've started and quit SO many times. I locked into 15 weeks and that keeps me going. Good luck to you on whatever path your journey takes you!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't have a trainer, I have a coach. BUT please make sure that if you do hire a trainer, make sure that they are not only certified, but also have a background in exercise physiology or kinesiology or the like. ANYONE can take a few classes and be certified as a trainer. But it really helps if they know the WHY's of what you are trying to accomplish.

Check their credentials. Any trainer worth their salt will have continuing education, be certified in various things, and have a well rounded knowledge of their field.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    For me personal trainers are expensive (so is a gym membership) for my budget, but if I could have one I would. I tried working out at home on my own but didnt feel pushed enough, so for me, I work out to DVDs, Jillian Michaels, she is upbeat, pushes you and kicks butt, I have so far been successful with her. Good luck!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    The purpose of a trainer is to assist you on issues you can't seem to fix on your own. As a trainer myself, I then take it upon myself to create a program I know you will be able to do and continue with the rest of your life. I don't WANT to keep you forever. I would hope that after 6 months, we would be done unless you have more than 50lbs to lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^Awesome and someone that loves what they do Apparently! Kudo's!