Fitbit or Jawbone?

Options
Fitbit lives in your pocket the JawBone is more like a bracelet. I want to hear about people's experiences with either, what they think etc.

Replies

• lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of the jawbone when I bought my fitbit.
    That said...I am in love with my fitbit. I use the clip it came with as I read of some people breaking theirs without using it. I either clip it to my bra or in my pants pocket. It has proven to be a useful tool for me as I didn't realize that on busy days at work I can get around 15,000 steps in but days where I'm sitting in class I can easily get under 6000. Since getting the fitbit I park further away from my destination, have been taking my dog on longer walks, I have been going out of my way to take more stairs. It's a tool that really works for me and I love it in combination with mfp. It's definitely helping me move more in addition to regular workout sessions.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I looked into both and at the moment have decided to get neither. Fitbit has great reviews and syncs with mfp which is really useful, but is easily lost according to some reviews. Jawbone Up looks great in paper but until they release a version that works I'm staying away! In the end I bought a fairly cheap heart rate monitor instead, as it does all the exercise related calculations and has a chest strap so is more accurate than the fitbit. I do love the idea of tracking sleep patterns though, so I will look at the Up when they release a new version.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Jawbone's UP is not available right now. They have problems with the bracelet and are working on a fix. I never had the fitbit but the Up is awesome! When it works, that is.

The killer feature of the Up is the smart wake. The fitbit tracks your sleep too but the Up has a feature that gently wakes you. You can set the alarm for say 6am and the bracelet will wake you at the best time between 5:30 and 6 according to your REM phases. It will wake you as soon as you come out of deep sleep. You feel way more refreshed and rested that way. If you are in deep sleep the whole 30 min. it will wake you at 6am though so you are not late.
    LOVED that! It makes such a difference!

The step tracking is good, the food tracking I never used. I do hope they come out with some new features, maybe even something that lets you hook it up to MFP.

The one thing that bugs me about the fitbit is that it is a clip and not a bracelet. That's why I never tried it. The Up sits on your wrist and after a few minutes you forgot about it. Very comfy and nobody knows what it is doing.

My Up is broken unfortunately but as soon as they come out with a fixed version I am buying it!
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    In the end I bought a fairly cheap heart rate monitor instead, as it does all the exercise related calculations and has a chest strap so is more accurate than the fitbit.

I don't think either will replace a heart rate monitor at all. The step tracking is limited and not accurate enough. HRM is the only way to go in my opnion but I only wear it for workouts, not all day. That's where the Up comes into play...
  • alaw1119
    alaw1119 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I bought the jawbone up when it first came out and I never worked right. I had it for about 3 days and then took it back and got a fitbit! I love my fitbit! But now they have the nike fuel which I want but they are pretty much sold out everywhere!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options

The one thing that bugs me about the fitbit is that it is a clip and not a bracelet. That's why I never tried it. The Up sits on your wrist and after a few minutes you forgot about it. Very comfy and nobody knows what it is doing.

People tend to lose their fitbits because it's so lightweight and discreet. Just sayin'...:smile:

I've had my fitbit for over a year (ahhhhhhhhhhhh the days when couldn't buy it in any store other than the fitbit one) and absolutely love it. I wasn't losing much weight with the mfp numbers but once I started paying attention to the fitbit, I lose more weeks than I gain.
  • LovesAdventure
    LovesAdventure Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I bought the jawbone up when it first came out and I never worked right. I had it for about 3 days and then took it back and got a fitbit! I love my fitbit! But now they have the nike fuel which I want but they are pretty much sold out everywhere!

The nike fuel looks awesome! I have a fitbit which I love, but it is easy to lose. Just might have to get myself the nike fuel also when it is available.