Dining Out - Mexican Restaurant

Options
We have a favorite Mexican restaurant here in town we love to visit. I just have such a hard time with ordering what I think would be lower calorie/ lower fat. I always end up with the fish tacos' (fish is grilled not breaded).

What is your favorite food at a mexican restaurant that fits into a healthy eating lifestyle.

Replies

• jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't know yet...I haven't been since I've started eating healthier lol

BUMP
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i haven't tried to eat healthy at one yet, either! my problem is, i really only like chicken fajitas. i usually just get chicken, veggies, rice, pico, and lettuce in mine. i'm sure it's still horrible for me with all the grease and carbs from rice and the tortillas.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I just eat whatever I want there...
    theres very little unhealthy stuff there.. its just that everything they have is very calorie dense..

so I just eat whatever I want to order... and nothing else for the day. its hard to go there and not eat around 2000 calories when you count everything. chips, queso, beans and cheese, sour cream..etc.. it adds up fast.
  • jadamuriel76
    jadamuriel76 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to one since trying to loose. It's one of my favs so it is missed dearly. :-(
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mexican restaurants are tough. Maybe try a chicken fajita but just eat the chicken and veggies and not the beans, rice or tortillas that come with them (or at least eat a limited amount).
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken and onions. Say no to the chips or just have a few and really stick to it. Watch the sour cream and cheese. I also like to get guac and 1 or two corn tortillas.

Love having my mexican restaurant nights back!!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Shrimp fajitas with corn tortillas, no rice, cheese, or sour cream. You still get peppers, lettuce, tomatoes and guac. So good!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I almost always get soft tacos on corn tortillas. (the street taco style that usually just have meat, salsa and maybe whole beans). These usually only have 200-250 calories, so you can have a couple and feel full.

Otherwise I get ceviche (seafood marinated in citrus, it might also have some chopped veggies and fruit)

If I am really lucky, and it is a place with all of the fun mexican snacks, I'll get jicama, mango or watermelon seasoned with chile powder and lime.

I like to keep the chips far away from the table. I can plow through baskets of warm chips. :)

Then I get the house salad.
  • PlasticPsycho
    Options
    I've been to a mexican restaurant just yesterday and ordered a mushroom-enchilada and a spinach-burrito (came together with some veggies and of course cheese)
    I ended up just eating half of it and taking the other half home today :)
    So I didn't go over my limit yesterday and don't have to cook today :)
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat day once, sometimes twice a week.

Our local Mexican restaurant obviously doesn't have any nutritional information either. I usually end up getting the baked chicken enchiladas (with Spanish rice and refried beans, dousing everything in fresh salsa), but only eating half of it so that I have left overs.
    ...but also because I have to save room for sangria and fried ice cream.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I go on my "free" day and get whatever i want..Just watch my portions.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    chicken soft tacos with corn tortillas

chicken fajitas

shrimp fajitas

grilled fish tacos

that's what i usually choose. I avoid the rice and the beans.
  • eoney
    eoney Posts: 35
    Options
    I try to do stuff like count out 12 (or how ever many) chips to have with the salsa instead of just going back in the basket again and again. I've also done stuff like sharing an entree...I have 5 year old that will happily eat have my carne asada entree if not all of the sides! That helps...a little...Dude's right though that it adds up FAST! And the margaritas do me in no matter HOW good I was for the rest of the meal!! I think his advice to try and compensate for it prior to the meal (either with reduced calories throughout the day...or maybe with an extra mile or so on the treadmill) is the best way to go about it.
  • krissers9
    krissers9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I try to look at a menu of where I am going and calculate before I go. I have not excluded anything from what I allow myself to eat, but I have learned a lot about portion sizes. Anything, in moderation, is not bad, especially if it's occassionaly and you include other great things throughout the rest of the day.
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I ask for the rice & beans on the side of my " naked" beef /chicken fajitas... they serve up all the yummy mexican goodness.. without the tortilla... is a little heathier- but still pretty high in sodium

I think whenever you go to a place like that, is more about portion control than anything... as everything is ridden with cheeses & added sodium!
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I always order the chicken fajitas (eat half and take half home) and I have them hold the side plate (tortillas, cheese, sour cream, beans, etc.)
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    I love the scrambled eggs w/ cactus, onions, tomatoes and green peppers... add some salsa... delish!

Or chicken fajitas without the tortillas.. avoid the sour cream (not a problem for me, I never used it anyway), and limit the cheese.

Even a little guacamole is ok, because avacados contain healthy fats.

Enjoy!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Tortilla Soup = hold the garnish
    Chicken Mole
    Pollo Loma Linda ( chicken breast with veggies I hold the sauce.)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Fajitas or Carne Asada are usually my go to at mexican restaurants.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Spinach Quesadilla with Mushrooms and Pico De Gallo