effexor

Options
Hiya anyone here on effexor? What do you think of it...the good and bad please! Thanks :)

Replies

• echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bump again? No one?
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was put on it while I was inthe hospital. I didn't notice any change on it. It was horrid to come off of though. Apparently it's the worst one because of it's half life.
  • Stoonloveskeith
    Stoonloveskeith Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Had tried it but it just didn't make me feel normal, slept ALL the time and was so hard to get off of and I found it very expensive. I chose different options because of these things.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was on it for some time a few years ago. It didn't help much and the withdrawal symptoms are THE WORST. Could be different for everyone, though.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am on it. Love it. I take 150 a day and it really helps. Don't think I could do it all without it.
  • Dulcislim
    Options
    It was helpful when I was put on it 10 years ago. I have tried multiple times to stop taking it and I can't deal with the withdrawal symptoms.

I would not start taking Effexor unless several other meds that didn't work. I wish I had never started it.
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 10 months. Packed on the pounds (about 30 lbs), felt like my head was stuffed with cotton instead of brains. I kept forgetting words and stuff like that (which is bad because I do a lot of public speaking). When I finally decided to quit the stuff, it was a nightmare. Even with slow weaning, I was dizzy and had vertigo all the time for weeks. When I finally did get myself off of it, it was like waking up for the first time. Everything was clear, my head was on right, my body was my own! Losing that weight was tough. It has been 10 years since I've been on that stuff and I was never tempted to go back on it again.
  • Asces
    Asces Posts: 182
    Options
    I was prescribed it about a month ago but still have not filled the prescription. I have seen so many horror stories about how this medication makes problems worse and how difficult it is to come off of. The "brain zaps" people describe really scare me.

I need to do something for my anxiety that has gotten way out of control, but I am not sure this is the answer?

I would love more info and hopefully some positive reviews.
  • Asces
    Asces Posts: 182
    Options
    Bumping on up ....
  • elysianashes
    Options
    I've been on Effexor for about 6 or 7 years I think? I have problems with blowing through seratonin too quickly and I get irritable and moody fast. When I'm not taking it, I spiral really easily. Something goes wrong, and I can't stop thinking about how awful it is, and next thing I know I'm sobbing uncontrollably or screaming at my husband. The Effexor has done away with those mood swings almost entirely.

My psych originally put me on Lexapro, which made my libido plummet; then they put me on a combo of Wellbutrin and Xanax, which turned me into a zombie - similar to radosti's experience with Effexor. I would sit and stare at my computer at work until someone tapped my shoulder, and I remember having no moods whatsoever. I felt nothing. They finally put me on Effexor and I noticed a change immediately. I have since tried going off it several times since we wanted to find out if I was able to control my mood swings on my own, and each time was a disaster. Now I'm happy to take it every day, it makes me feel like a normal human being!

It definitely has nasty withdrawal symptoms though - nausea, dizziness, irritability. If you have to go off it for any reason, do it EXTREMELY slowly - over the course of two weeks to a month even.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I was on effexor xr for 4 years for GAD. I have to admit that it did help me get my anxiety and panic attacks under control. BUT.......it has vicious withdrawal symptoms:noway: After several failed attempts in the past to get off this medication I'm finally trying again. Took my last pill this past Saturday. Although I'm having 'brain zaps and shivers' (google it, it's a very common withdrawal symptom)...I'm a bit dizzy and off balance and have had some nausea...I think I'm going to make it this time!!

Bottom line....I would only take this medication if nothing else seems to be helping...the withdrawal is a *****!!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I am glad I didnt know all the bad side effects before I started taking it.
    I took it for one year. It helped a lot. I had no negative side effects at all. After a year I felt I didnt need it any more and went off with no problems.
  • utvolsfan74
    utvolsfan74 Posts: 105
    Options
    I was put on it while I was inthe hospital. I didn't notice any change on it. It was horrid to come off of though. Apparently it's the worst one because of it's half life.

I agree. I wouldn't go on effexor if you can help it. I would find another one if you can!!!!
  • BlueIdyll
    BlueIdyll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm taking it right now, and I absolutely love what it's done for me. Less anxiety, I'm not embarrassed as easily, and my moods are much more stable. I'm also less nit-picky, and my roommates have noticed that I'm much more social. I can agree that the withdrawal is a *****. I once forgot to take it one day and I had really bad vertigo and dizziness. Took the pill and all was well again. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to go off of effexor only after consulting with a doctor so that they can aid you with the withdrawal, so if you do decide to try it but don't like it, ask your doc for help before you just decide to quit taking it.
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I agree. I wouldn't go on effexor if you can help it. I would find another one if you can!!!!
    Can someone explain to me what you mean by the half life of a drug?
  • CNYKrista
    CNYKrista Posts: 61
    Options
    I recommend Lexapro. Been on it over 8 years now.
  • cino2684
    cino2684 Posts: 26
    Options
    I was on Effexor and gained quite a bit of weight. Stopped taking it and dropped 15lbs. It was the worst antidepressant for gaining weight for me.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Effexor was TERRIBLE when I was on it. Gained a little weight. I'd either be bouncing off the walls or wanting to sleep all day.
    I take welbutrin now. It's amazing... No complaints at all!
  • CNYKrista
    CNYKrista Posts: 61
    Options
    Lexapro is better also because their are only two dosages- 10mg or 20mg no playing around until they get it right. My mom is a Nurse Practitioner and has told me it has one of the highest effect rates. I feel normal and haven't had a panic attack in 8 years.