Ratios of carbs, protein and fat

Options
I have mine set at protein 40%, carbs 35% and fat 25% - how sucessful do you think I will be sticking with this?

I really tried to do 30% carbs and 30% fat but was over everyday on my carbs.............

Would just like to know what your experiences have been and what worked for you?

Replies

• AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    My trainer has me at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.....its working ok for me, making me really read labels and stuff.
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    Thanks Alynn!! I had this set but everyone told me I had too many carbs..........I love carbs though!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm unclear on your question. Why would you not be succesful sticking with this? Are you talking your own motivation or will that macro mix work? That is a fine macro mix. Should minimize cravings and you should achieve weight loss goals if you stay on a plan that includes a deficit. Is taht what your asking?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thanks Alynn!! I had this set but everyone told me I had too many carbs..........I love carbs though!!

Your carbs are under 200 grams. Not bad. I keep mine under 150 grams and eat no simple carbs like flour based food or anything with sugar as, for me, these things cause cravings and are counter productive to my goals. I'd try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. If you are still having an issue with cravings (if you ever were?), lower the carbs to 150 grams or below. But I took a look at how your mix plays out in your diary and it looked fine.
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options

Your carbs are under 200 grams. Not bad. I keep mine under 150 grams and eat no simple carbs like flour based food or anything with sugar as, for me, these things cause cravings and are counter productive to my goals. I'd try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. If you are still having an issue with cravings (if you ever were?), lower the carbs to 150 grams or below. But I took a look at how your mix plays out in your diary and it looked fine.

Thank you for your help with this - yes I was just checking that it wouldn't affect my weight loss for upping my carb allowance a little. Felt guilty as I was over nearly every day with them. I don't eat white bread, pasta or rice anymore and always try to have wholegrain foods these days :-)
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    mine is set at the standard that MFP gives you, but I usually end up eating less than half my carb goal and eating more grams of protien than carbs at the end of the day.
  • MANdown_145lbs
    Options
    it try for 20/45/35 -carbs/prot/fat but have been sticking close to 20/40/40
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've had to experiment with mine because it does require advanced meal planning to get them just right. I did 40 protein/30 carb/30 fat for a while but then I just gained as soon as I ate carbs again but am recently trying 40 protein/35 fat/25 carbs. I usually give changes a few weeks, if it doesn't work for you, switch it up. I keep my carbs around 100 give or take and it does seem to help me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your protein may be a little high (but that will help make you feel full longer).

Personally I don't sweat the ratios - it's total calories that count (especially if you're exercising regularly - the carbs tend to look after themselves)

From Time Health:

"Q:Will eating a calorie of fat make you fatter than eating a calorie of carbohydrate?

A: From many kinds of studies conducted over years, we are quite confident now that a calorie from fat will cause a similar amount of weight gain as a calorie from carbohydrate. There are some interesting questions about whether eating carbohydrate calories versus fat calories will make you eat more calories, but based on what you put into your mouth, it's pretty clear that the source of the calories is really not important.

[Whether fats or carbohydrates are more filling] is one issue that's been raised — but it's been raised on both sides. The best way to get to the bottom line is to look at long-term studies where we randomize people to a high-fat/low-carb diet or to a low-fat/high-carb diet and follow them for at least a year or more. That kind of study takes into account the possibility that one kind of diet provides more satiety; so, over the long run you would see more weight loss on that diet. But those studies — half a dozen or more have been done — show quite clearly that the percentage of calories from fat has very little effect on long-term weight loss."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1822118,00.html#ixzz1p788fwIf
  • dragynyss
    dragynyss Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm doing a high-protein, low carb diet and try to keep my carbs between 20-30 grams and my protein as close to 100 grams as possible. I find it's easier to read labels and keep track if I count grams instead of percent per day.

I rarely eat the cheap carbs - other than a bit of rice last night (first in 6 months...) I do not eat anything white - no bread, potatoes, pasta, chips, etc. If you adopt this simple rule, you'll carve out a LOT of excess calories instantly. As a fellow carb lover, it was hard at first, but worth it once you get the groove.

Green leafy is good, just be sure you don't douse everything in fats (oils, dressings, cheese, etc). Steamed and herbed are best.
  • dragynyss
    dragynyss Posts: 20
    Options
    Also, if you are using pct to calculate your intake, be sure you are calculating correctly. Calculations based on total grams or total calories will be different:

1g Carb = 4 calories/g
    1g Protein = 4 calories/g
    1g Fat = 9 calories/g

Grams are not created equal!!!
  • MANdown_145lbs
    Options
    since i have increased my workouts i have had to raise my carbs, now i try to stay around 35- 40 for carbs and protein and 30 and below for fat unless i'm eating alot of almonds.
  • BestICanBe2013
    Options
    Hi MANdown_145lb

I am new to this website and have the same ratio for protein carbs fat as you. I am staring my workout on Monday, along with creating my meals for the week and grocery list. I am having a hard time putting meals together. Would you have some meal plans you could share with me for the 40-35-25 ratio? It sure would help me get started!