Protein Bars?

Options
Lori1472
Lori1472 Posts: 37 Member
I don't eat much meat (I'm not a vegaterain, just don't eat it much), nor am I really fond of nuts, peanut butter, and the like. Are protein bars a good supplement to add or should I just try to work in more protein-packed foods?

Replies

• rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This is what I eat as a snack between meals at times and my 9 yr old has one every morning for breakfast. This was the only one I could find with the lowest amount of sugar,fat and carbs with highest amount of protein from the others.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Us-Nutrition-High-Protein-Bar-Chocolate-Peanut-Butter-Pure-Protein-10.58-oz/10422933

2 gams of sugar and $6.27 for a box of 6. :-)
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to find protein bars that aren't super-expensive and loaded with sugar (as previously mentioned). I've been leaning toward plain greek yougurt w/ frozen fruit mixed in.
  • Lori1472
    Lori1472 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is what I eat as a snack between meals at times and my 9 yr old has one every morning for breakfast. This was the only one I could find with the lowest amount of sugar,fat and carbs with highest amount of protein from the others.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Us-Nutrition-High-Protein-Bar-Chocolate-Peanut-Butter-Pure-Protein-10.58-oz/10422933

2 gams of sugar and $6.27 for a box of 6. :-)

^^^ I love these...very yummy and filling.
  • hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    bump
  • BradNC
    BradNC Posts: 51
    Options
    For me, it's about sugar AND how well they hold up in the heat (because sometimes I just don't have an option other than to leave them in the car). They are somewhat expensive (look at who sells them) BUT they are almost impervious to heat (meaning, they do get melty, but because of the wrapper, simply putting them in a cool location makes them like new) and they're tasty believe it or not.

Low-ish sugar, and come in 15 and 30g of protein version: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2372984
  • packersfn7
    packersfn7 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and I don't eat eggs, so I also find it hard to get in my protein.

I also love the Pure Protein bars---I particularly love the smores and peanut butter caramel surprise. The smore has this marshmallow that just oozes out, and the peanut butter has caramel that oozes out. Really good compared to the other bars I have tried.

I also make a shake a few times a week: pure protein powder, greek yogurt and skim milk. For around 300 calories, you get 50 grams of protein. Trust me, you won't feel like eating for HOURS.
  • dragynyss
    dragynyss Posts: 20
    Options
    Every protein bar I've found in the stores are packed with carbs. Be sure to read the labels! The best bars I've found that are low in carbs but high in protein are at the medi-weightloss clinics. Even if you aren't a client you can go in and purchase these bars at the counter. A bit pricy but very yummy.

You might also try the EAS CarbAdvantedge Protein shakes. Again, low carbs and high protein and very yummy. You can mix the vanilla with fruit in a blender which tastes good. I drink the chocolate ones for breakfast to start the day. The 4-pack is less than $5 at Wal-Mart.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I recently started making my own! they are wonderful! packed with nutrients and really low on carbs...

the problem with lots of store bought protein bars is they are loaded with CARBs...and fairly low on protein!

message me if you want some recepies! :)

the best part about homeade is you can tweak the recepie to fit your needs...my hubs is bulking so I add lots of nuts & cream cheese and cut his portions larger...mine I keep smaller and stick the basics :)
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you (although after 8 months I am starting to enjoy peanut butter and almonds :)

I eat edamame every now and then for protein. you can get them in the shell, frozen at almost any grocery store. and once you steam it, they are amazing. :)
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like the Balance Bar Carb Well Bars for a morning snack, only 2g of sugar, 8g of protein. I find it helps me get the energy up without the sugar high and drop.

The Kashi Go Lean cereal has 13g of protein for every cup of cereal. Good way to get it early in the day.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i like the pure protein bars too.. and I recently found the detour lower sugar bars at bj's..... box of 15 bars, 2 different flavors (pretty yummy too) for only $13.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    heres a web page for high protein foods hope it helps :)

http://www.howmuchprotein.com/foods/
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For me, it's about sugar AND how well they hold up in the heat (because sometimes I just don't have an option other than to leave them in the car). They are somewhat expensive (look at who sells them) BUT they are almost impervious to heat (meaning, they do get melty, but because of the wrapper, simply putting them in a cool location makes them like new) and they're tasty believe it or not.

Low-ish sugar, and come in 15 and 30g of protein version: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2372984
    I like these bars too. The detour lower sugar bars are great! They are about the same fat, calorie. and sugar content as pure protein, but alas it has 5 less grams of protein at 15g. I do however like the taste better.
    If you have a Sam's club nearby, you can get a box of 24 bars for $19.28. Best price I've seen.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I personally add protein powder to everything I can, but Ive heard Quest bars are good.
  • lindsaymo34
    Options
    I'm also a fan of plain Greek yogurt with fruit added in, or maybe just some cinnamon. You can also use it as a fruit dip if you go the cinnamon route. I'm generally not a fan of protein bars because of the artificial ingredients they're packed full of. A serving of plain Greek yogurt has about 18 grams of protein and very little sugar.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I use the pure protein brand bars and also the medifast bars/shakes when I need something with lower carbs but they also only have about 11 grams of protein. The pure protein bars are also sold at Costco and you can get a bulk package that has three boxes (different flavors) in one package. I think it was about 12 dollars or so. I order the medifast bars from their website.

I also do the Greek yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in but honestly, it's really tart to me and I have a hard time eating it on a regular basis. I've tried it with honey and that's too sweet. I don't want to give up on it completely though.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A lot of the protein bars on the market have fillers in them and stuff that is just not good for you. Id recommend making your own.

I make these about once a week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-LcIC5gtc&feature=related
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I too don't eat a lot of meat, and being very active, I have to try to eat a lot of protein. I like the Pure Protein bars--they have the lowest calorie/protein ratio out there. The Pure Protein chocolate deluxe is 20 g of protein for 180 calories (taste is eh though). THe Pure Protein s'mores and Pure Protein Revolution chocolate peanut caramel (180 cal for 20 g) are also really good. I also eat greek yogurt and the kashi go lean cereal with soymilk. You might want to look into protein powders to add to cereal, yogurts, smoothies, etc. A lot of people do that on here too.
  • Lace_up59
    Options
    http://www.supremeprotein.com/

These things are fantastic. Low in carbs and sugar compared to all other bars and high in protein, but taste WAY better. About 200 cals for the small ones 400 for the larger ones.. They have a TON of different flavors from caramel crunch to cookies and cream to rocky road. They continue to come out with more flavors. They taste awesome...I almost feel like I am cheating when I have them because they taste better than any protein bar I have ever tried. I have had every bar and protein shake under the sun and these are the best I have had....sounds like I work for them lol.
    You can buy the small bars by the box at Walmart-5 bars for 7 bucks. So they are pretty cost effective, comparable to breakfast bars and cheaper compared to power bars and other protein bars. Sometimes they will "rollback" the prices and you can get a box for 5 bones. Ill buy all I can then. The larger bars they have at 7-11's and one stops out here in OKC and they are around 3 bucks, but its an entire meal so it isnt bad. They are a great meal replacement or an awesome quick breakfast. I have a busy schedule so I grab a bar and a coffee and I'm gone.
    Check them out