'Pushing a stroller'

Options
I am puzzled as to why pushing a stroller/pushchair is suppose to, according to MFP, use less calories than walking normally, surely, me pushing my 2 stone child in a buggy, plus loaded up with coats, should earn more than a normal walk????

:noway: :noway: :huh: :huh:

Replies

• Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    They figure you are walking super slow while pushing the stroller.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Yeah right, I wish, who does??....

:smile:
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    They're using it as an example. "Walking slowly" (as you would pushing a stroller) vs. "Brisk walking" (as if you were exercising). I can attest that brisk walking with a stroller is an excellent workout! :)
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    They're using it as an example. "Walking slowly" (as you would pushing a stroller) vs. "Brisk walking" (as if you were exercising). I can attest that brisk walking with a stroller is an excellent workout! :)

Totally agree, even more so with a twin stroller!!
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Perhaps it should come under strength training too, pushing a weight????
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    When I push my 4 year old and 2 year old in a stroller it's a killer workout!
  • GoingForBroke
    Options
    I hadn't noticed that but have been adding an extra 10 minutes to my walking time to account for pushing my beautiful (but very heavy) baby around all day!
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    Probably. All the muscle definition in my arms is from pushing a double stroller and lifting my giant children.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I walk behind a stroller too. I think maybe it's possible that when we walk, we unintentionally lean just a bit on the stroller, causing it to carry a bit of our weight on the wheels. Unless, of course, we're pushing uphill which is definitely more of a workout than just walking! Shouldn't it average out at least...?
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've been doing my Couch 2 5k training pushing 50+ pounds of 1 & 2 yr old...pretty sure im burning more calories...will find out when my fitbit gets here
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    maybe you're supposed to add both? "pushing a stroller" and "walking 3.0 mph" I walk briskly uphill pushing a double stroller with two 30 lb kids. if I added both it would be about 300 cal per hr. does that sounds reasonable?
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    maybe you're supposed to add both? "pushing a stroller" and "walking 3.0 mph" I walk briskly uphill pushing a double stroller with two 30 lb kids. if I added both it would be about 300 cal per hr. does that sounds reasonable?

Quite possibly, would make sense, I jut put down for the walking, and look at any extra possible calories burned, as a bonus.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yeah pushing a double is hard! I just put it in as walking at whatever pace and consider the extra from the stroller as "invisible bonus exercise". My kids are big too. So it's definately a workout!
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    The same goes for people pushing a wheelchair with a grown child, or adult in it, that's gotta be a major workout.
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am so with you on this! Seriously? Try pushing a stroller uphill or on an uneven sidewalk and then tell me it doesn't burn as many calories.

2955970.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been doing my Couch 2 5k training pushing 50+ pounds of 1 & 2 yr old...pretty sure im burning more calories...will find out when my fitbit gets here

A fitbit wouldn't account for this because it is only measuring how far and fast you are walking/climbing. It doesn't know whether you are working harder or pushing a stroller. A HRM would give a better indication.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Log it as Walking, carrying infant or 15-lb load
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    MFP is wrong. Use the below article to help calculate calories burned. I use a front carrier and stroller some times and this helped me.

www.parents.com/baby/health/lose-baby-weight/walk-off-the-baby-weight/
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried jogging with a stroller? i'm really trying to get out for a jog whenever i am free of the children, however i would be able to do it i could take the baby with me?
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried jogging with a stroller? i'm really trying to get out for a jog whenever i am free of the children, however i would be able to do it i could take the baby with me?

I would highly recommend getting a jogging stroller for this. They have three wheels and you can lock the front one to keep it from swivelling. If you jog with a regular stroller and one of the front wheels swivels just a bit you can dump the baby out and have a horrible wreck. Someone in our house almost did this once, but I won't say who. :) But seriously, I really really wouldn't jog with a regular stroller.