Protein Bars?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    Although they are pricey - I eat Quest Bars! They are really good (love the chocolate peanut butter)

- 20g protein
    - gluten free
    - no soy
    - low sugar

example: for one chocolate/peanut butter bar:
    calories: 160
    carbs:25 (with 17g of dietary fiber!!)
    protein: 20
    sugar: 1

:)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the 2:1 protein bars, they come in many flavors and have about half the sugar of regular bars. Some folks make their own protein bars (I'm sure you can find some good choices if you do a search).

I also starts eating muscle gel. These gel packs have 22 grams of protein and only 2 - 3 grams of carbs. I've tried the Key Lime flavor and have ordered some cinnamon.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to add protein, I did find something that has a better nutrition profile than most any protein bar. Problem is some people sipmly can't stomach them LOL. But Ostrim Beef / ostrich meat sticks are 80 calories, 1.5g fat 2g carbs. 14g of protein and 300mg of sodium. Tastes kinda like a slim jim but without all the grease texture, I get tehm from amazon for about $1.25 ea. Anyway, Just an alternative.

http://www.protos-inc.com/buy_ostrim/ostrim_natural.htm
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    Most of those bars listed are just glorified candy bars.

Hands down, the best protein bars are Quest bars. Very low in sugar, very low sugar alcohols, high in fiber, and not covered in some kind of chocolate concoction.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Depends what types you buy I personally like my herbalife protein bars I get. It really comes down to your prefrence.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Most of those bars listed are just glorified candy bars.

Hands down, the best protein bars are Quest bars. Very low in sugar, very low sugar alcohols, high in fiber, and not covered in some kind of chocolate concoction.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/

I really wanted to like these but I find the taste to be totally gross. If you can stomach the taste, then good for you :)

I'd also rather have sugar alcohols than sucralose (Splenda) and avoid the 75% more sodium compared to most other bars on the market.
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I really wanted to like these but I find the taste to be totally gross. If you can stomach the taste, then good for you :)

I'd also rather have sugar alcohols than sucralose (Splenda) and avoid the 75% more sodium compared to most other bars on the market.

Cool, have fun with your diarrhea. And unless you are one of the 10% who are sodium sensitive and it causes your BP to rise, you're scared of sodium for pretty much no reason.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Cool, have fun with your diarrhea. And unless you are one of the 10% who are sodium sensitive and it causes your BP to rise, you're scared of sodium for pretty much no reason.

No need to be that defensive dude. And no, I don't get diarrhea with the amounts I consume.
    Like I said, If you can stand the taste, have fun with your super duper protein bars.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My new favorite: Nature Valley - Protein Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate 10g protein
  • k900
    k900 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like special k protein bars. They taste great.