Replies

• brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna tell you when you'll get faster because many have addressed that already. It will happen all in good time.

What I am gonna say is, "Bwhahaha ... I told you so!" Ha! I knew you'd get the desire to do a full marathon. I'm just smart like that. :smile:
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I decided to continue on with the 10K training group my coach had. Honestly without this group, I'm not sure I would have even made my goal of under 45 mins, let alone even want to run!

Okay so here's my schedule thru April:

Mondays - Easy run at (conversation pace) 2-3 miles
    Tuesdays - Cross Train 60 mins (bike, elliptical, rowing)
    Wednesday - Track Workout (Speed Intervals) OR whatever Josh our running coach tells us to do. However for Today he told us we are running trail hills! :bigsmile: for an hour.
    Thursday - Rest day, but I'm doing either yoga, stretching, or walk
    Friday - Cross Train 40 mins, strength train
    Saturday - LOOONG RUN (our last long run was 5 miles so not sure what I have in store for this Saturday just yet) stay tuned...
    Sunday - Strength train

Need more days in a week
  • andrea9873
    Options
    What I am gonna say is, "Bwhahaha ... I told you so!" Ha! I knew you'd get the desire to do a full marathon. I'm just smart like that. :smile:

You did tell me so!!! AHHH! Now I'm starting to dream of running...I am a "weirdo".
  • andrea9873
    Options
    Having a solid base of junk miles certainly helps covering the distance easier. But to really increase your speed, it's about adding in some speedplay (or fartleks) and intervals. Getting your legs used to turning over faster helps tremendously in being able to pick up the speed, and the base miles will help you in maintaining the pace. You might try getting in a couple of days of intervals or fartleks each week to work on your speed.

An example of a good interval workout would be doing 6-8 repeat 400s (1/4 mile) at race pace with 2-3 minute recovery. Get a good warm up and cool down in there as well. That would be a good gauge to see where you're at.

I ran competitively for 8 years, both in high school and college, and coached for 5 years...also have my degree in exercise science. Feel free to friend me or message me for any other tips! Currently training for a half marathon. :)

Thanks so much! I will! Those track workouts are what helped me! I dread them but love them afterwards. the first time I had some calf discomfort from the speed, I guess I was running high on the balls of my feet. Not landing full heel.
  • lirparolyat1
    Options
    My first 5K (since I started tracking my times) was about 36 minutes. I just finished the last one I did in 26:56. Several things have helped me. Once a week I get on my treadmill and do 1/4 mile intervals of my desired 5K pace and speed walking. I do this for about 3.5 to 5.0 miles depending on how much time I have. I also train on my 4-5 mile runs outside doing long gradual hills. I have found that these things have really helped me. I try not to run any less than 3.5 miles on a regular run day. Keeping these runs longer than a 5K, helps on 5K race days because my body feels like it can keep going when i have increased my pace for the race. Right now I am working on decreasing my longer distance run pace. That has been a bigger challenge. I am consistently at a 6mph pace for anything between 4 and 7 miles. Working to try to get that down for my next half marathon next month.
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Do you run in flat terrain?
    I noticed improvments after starting running ups and downs roads.
    Be carefull with the downs, the impact is more aggressive in the ankles.
    My average pace was 9km/h (5.59 mph) and it's now 10km/h (6.21 mph).

Kisses,
    Tatyanne
  • jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was in the Army for almost 10 years. During this time, I was the Master Fitness Trainer for our company and worked with soldiers that needed to improve their fitness testing scores (or be discharged for lack of sufficient fitness). HIIT was a key part of helping these soldiers improve their time. Here is the formula I had the male AND female soldiers follow. I hope this makes sense.

Your pace per mile (PPM) on the best 5K was 12:55 (roughly 13mins PPM). On a typical running track, this means you would be doing a 1/4 mile lap in roughly 3:15. With this in mind, use the track to help you apply the concept of higher intensity running. After warming up properly, begin a run and do 1-2 laps at an easy pace (slightly less than your ~ 13min PPM). On lap 3, increase the pace of the run on the straight portion of the track. If you divide the track into quarters, each straight portion is roughly 110 yards. Using your 13min PPM, this means you are running this distance in roughly 49 seconds. What you want to aim for is doing the straight portions in 42-44 seconds. This will be a 10% increase in your PPM on the straight portions. When you hit the curved portions of the track, immediately resume the PPM you initially started the run. Repeat this higher intensity running on EACH straight portion through the next several laps. Conclude your run with 2 laps running at your best PPM. Additional goals can be increasing the PPM you run during the curved portions of the track....or increasing the pace at which you run the straight portions. Obviously, the goal will be to apply any increase you are able to make in your PPM.

One other tip that helps IF you are a runner motivated and driven by music and rhythm (in the ARMY we often ran to cadence, vocal chants). I no longer run to these cadences, but use music to help me maintain pace when exercising/running/cycling. That's all fine and dandy...but the trick is to find music that matches your present or objective PPM.

Enter PodRunner (available on iTunes or at http://www.djsteveboy.com/mixes.html). BTW, PodRunner is free, but there is a request to make a small donation (although it is NOT a requirement to get any music selections)

When you are running at your objective PPM, count the number of times your feet are striking the ground in a 15 seconds. Multiply this by 4 and you have your BPM pace. Then look through PodRunner for music that aligns with your BPM. The length of the music varies and there are different styles of music offered. Next time you head out for a run, take your iPod, and turn on the PodRunner selection that matches your objective PPM (aka BPM). I've shared this tip with numerous friends looking to improve their run or cycle pace. Almost everyone of these people said they had successfully used this technique to improve their PPM and overall performance.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I started C25K in the middle of October '11; before that, I had never run except a little in high school. I ran my first 5k in January at 22:15. I have another one this weekend which is on a hillier course than the first, but I hope to beat my first time at least a little. I personally did not do any speed work until recently because I didn't feel that I needed it yet and was still improving with just base mileage. My current training plan involves Easy Runs 4 days per week, a Tempo Run one day and a Long Run one day.

First, figure out your training paces. You can go to the following sites and get them:
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/trainingcalculator

Now that you know your training paces, go find a training plan.

Here's one: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/142.shtml

In that plan, regular runs during the week should be run at your Easy Runs pace, and the longer weekend runs should be run at the Long Runs pace. The speed work day varies in pace.
  • andrea9873
    Options
    Do you run in flat terrain?
    I noticed improvments after starting running ups and downs roads.
    Be carefull with the downs, the impact is more aggressive in the ankles.
    My average pace was 9km/h (5.59 mph) and it's now 10km/h (6.21 mph).

Kisses,
    Tatyanne

the race was mostly downhill and flat. Charm City AKA Baltimore, MD

Josh challenged us with lots of hills, speed interval work and of course running past 3.1 miles up to 5 miles for our long runs.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Having a solid base of junk miles certainly helps covering the distance easier. But to really increase your speed, it's about adding in some speedplay (or fartleks) and intervals. Getting your legs used to turning over faster helps tremendously in being able to pick up the speed, and the base miles will help you in maintaining the pace. You might try getting in a couple of days of intervals or fartleks each week to work on your speed.

An example of a good interval workout would be doing 6-8 repeat 400s (1/4 mile) at race pace with 2-3 minute recovery. Get a good warm up and cool down in there as well. That would be a good gauge to see where you're at.

I ran competitively for 8 years, both in high school and college, and coached for 5 years...also have my degree in exercise science. Feel free to friend me or message me for any other tips! Currently training for a half marathon. :)

Thanks so much! I will! Those track workouts are what helped me! I dread them but love them afterwards. the first time I had some calf discomfort from the speed, I guess I was running high on the balls of my feet. Not landing full heel.

Getting up on the balls of your feet is necessary for increasing speed. It's definitely different than a normal distance runner foot strike. When you're doing your intervals, focus on putting your shoulders slightly in front of your hips and keeping your body straight. That'll force your knees to come up and make you land more on the ball off your foot than your heels. Making that adjustment in your form will make your body a little more efficient since you get more spring from the ball of your foot than the heel. True, you'll get some calf soreness after because you're using your muscles a little differently, but you might also feel like you're using less effort while gaining more speed. Try it out and update me on how it works for you. :)
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    bump