Anyone else just on here to "tone up"?

Options
Hello! I'm new to this site and just wondering if there are many others that aren't really on here to lose weight, just strengthen and tone what's already there?? My goal is to lose about 6 lb, but mostly just to get stronger, leaner muscles and have a more defined body. Most of the posts, suggestions and tips that I find on here aren't really geared toward that. Is anyone else working toward similar goals and has some insight to share?

Replies

• freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm here to do the same sort of thing, but I hate the word 'toning'!

I recommend reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". It talks about how women should push themselves more when lifting weights and not be afraid of 'bulking up'. Unless you are an extreme genetic outlier, you're not going to bulk up. There may be some initial swelling as your muscles retain water to repair themselves, but that will subside.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Hi. I am also trying to "tone up" (sorry I said it)
    I dont want to lose any more weight, just get a little ripped :happy:
    What kind of workouts are you doing?
  • hikerjen
    hikerjen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That would be me, too. I just wanted to tighten up some of the winter jigglies. I began using this site mid-January, and working out harder, and I've lost about 7 lbs. I've been walking on the treadmill, and doing strength training 3 times each per week, and abs each time I work out. It's amazing how much better I feel. My stomach is flatter, my arms and shoulders more defined, my thighs aren't so jiggly. I'm wearing a pair of pants today that I haven't worn in 4 months because they were too tight - now they fit again. Yay!

My advice is to watch your calorie intake, eat better, healthier food, keep working out and you will reach your goal. Good luck!
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes, me! I wouldn't mind losing maybe four more pounds, but I am flabby in the butt and hips. I don't have any insight, but maybe we can work on it together...!?
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Me me me! I know that strength training will lead to some weight loss (I could do without 5lbs) but I'm seeking definition and strength andddd I know 80% is what goes on in the kitchen = counting those calories. :)
  • CourtneyB610
    Options
    This is exactly what I want to do! I want to become very defined. Wouldn't mind losing a couple more lbs. but I'm more focused on getting more fit!
  • enchantedbunny
    Options
    Same with hikerjen's comment about "winter jiggles"! Looking to tone up and wouldn't mind losing a few pounds as a side effect.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Then start lifting weights! And I don't mean lifting 5lbs 100x.

P90X FTW!
  • tifarahmonteith
    tifarahmonteith Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Glad to see there are others on here for the same purposes as me. Since I've only been back on my "workout kick" for less than two weeks, I just work out at home. I have a treadmill that really only gets used for my cool down session at the end. So far I have just been doing Turbo Jam workouts on DVD's that I have....I really love them and they're exactly what I need to get re-addicted to working out. Some are cardio, some are strength training....45 minutes with two 5lb dumbbells just about kills me right now! Once I've been at this for a few more weeks I would like to start going to the gym a few times a week and lifting a bit. I'm just not set up for it at home and want to work back into it slowly so I don't kill myself. Two years ago I was in the best shape of my life....working an oilfield camp job away from home, nothing else to do after work but go to the gym! I'd work out for two hours every night, a combination of Turbo Jam for cardio and weight machines every day, listening to some metal music really makes you give it that extra power :) Anyway, I asked the question mostly to see what other people are doing for work-outs......I think I am okay on the food front.....I only log my calories on here to make sure I am getting enough! I find that if you are eating the "right" kinds of foods....you are allowed more of them than you can actually eat in a day anyway. My problem is that when I have a protein shake right after my strength training I don't get hungry again and unless I'm really watching, don't eat enough.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • YannaRH
    YannaRH Posts: 2
    Options
    FINALLY!!! I'm fairly new to the site and was wary about posting in some of the other forums because I am not trying to lose weight. I was actually underweight for most of my teenage years and some of my adult years so of course I ate everything I wanted. I am the mother of a 14 year old and was involved in a pretty bad car accident in 2009. I was on steroid injections for 6wks which caused me to gain weight (fortunately, I lost most of it once the injections werec ompleted), but my metabolism has slowed down significantly, and I realized that I was getting a little "pouch" (which, since I'm not a kangaroo, was not very attractive, even less so on someone who is 5"2" and relatively slim elsewhere), and that my thighs were rubbing together. My goals are to lose at least 3" off my waist, tone (sorry! lol) my thighs, build my endurance, and make working out a lifestyle.

I think I'm doing well on the nutrition front (although after tracking my food for a week, I realize that I don't consume as many calories as I thought I did which is good since I only want to maintain my weight, and I eat pretty healthy. Granted, I do love ice cream and cake, but I eat them in moderation. As for working out, I'm a Jillian Michaels fan, and I was just introduced to a system called Tonique which I like, but which I'm just not up to yet. So I'm on Week 1, Day 2 of Ripped in 30, which I'm supposed to do 5x a week. I'm really hoping I can stick to it, and I'm glad for any motivation, tips, guidance, ideas, etc.
  • ESmackum
    ESmackum Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm here to basically tone up too. But I have been slacking in the gym as of lately. But I agree with FreezerBurn. Get in the gym. Lift heavier weights. Right now I am starting back up with 35lb kettlebell swings. Also, I am trying to get on a treadmill and run a bit (although I hate running, I know the cardio will tone me up faster).
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Well when I "toned up", I gained 5 pounds. But I could fit into my smallest jeans for the first time in months. So sometimes you have to be prepared to let go of a certain number on the scale in favor of improving your appearance.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Me too- glad to hear what others are doing. I think I am going to try the Insanity workout- we will see how it goes!

Good luck all!
  • MediocreFred
    Options
    I am mostly but I want to lose that little bit around my midsection that keeps my 2 pack from showing :P