So, anyone else in here not have a gallbladder?

Options
Hello everyone!

I had my gallbladder removed about a year ago - due to stones... Which I'm pretty sure could have been at least partially attributed to my poor diet and lack of exercise at the time...

I was curious if anyone in here has also had their removed, and if so, have you had to modify any of your eating habits since?

My doctor said "I would be up eating cheeseburgers within a week"... and yeah... no... the fat in that kinda stuff kills me now.

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Replies

• Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed 4 yrs ago due to gall stones as well. I can't eat certain thing unless I am willing to be in extreme pain the next morning. Since then I can not eat certain types of steak, all beef hot dogs, most fast food, most fried foods, and bologna. It's hard to stay away from this stuff especially all beef hot dogs are my fav. But I would rather give it up than have that pain in my stomach. Hope this helps just avoid the foods that cause you discomfort and pain.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I had mine out the first week of January. It was so bad I couldn't eat anything without pain. Since surgery the only thing I've found I can't eat is peanut butter but I can eat almond butter. Weird. My understanding is everyone's eating tolerability afterwards varies greatly. My surgueon told me if I find a food I can't tolerate to wait a few months and try it again, eventually your body should adjust to it. Good luck!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i had mine removed about 12 years ago due to stones.
    for a while i had to really watch the fatty foods, or be close to a bathroom >.> but now i can eat what i want.
  • laurengaugler
    laurengaugler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 4 years ago, and find that when I eat particularly fatty foods I have major stomach issues. I used to have emergency situations at least once a week. Now that I am eating healthy my problems have definitely subsided. Since I started watching what I was eating again in November, I've only had 2 or 3 emergencies in 4 1/2 months.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 15 years ago.

As you know, you are still producing bile, but at a trickle, rather than getting a gush when you eat a fat-heavy meal. So it's the fat in one sitting you have to watch out for, not so much the total fat in day.

For about the first 6 months or so, I had t be really careful: 5 french fries was my limit. My husband would order them at a restaurant and give me the last 5, so I couldn't possibly eat too many.

Somewhere in that first year it got a lot better, I think a combination of my body adjusting to it and my improving my ability to deal. I determined by experimentation that certain combinations of foods worked better and timing in the meal also made a difference. This does appear to be idiosyncratic for everybody, so take my particulars with a grain of salt...

For me, having sufficient protein with the fat was important. As was not eating the fat right at the beginning of the meal, but waiting until I had some food already in my stomach. Some other people I've talked to said for them it was having the right balance of all 3 (carbs, protein and fat).

It continued to get easier to deal with over time. By about the 5 year mark, I stopped noticing it at all, with the single exception that I am still careful not to eat too many french fries at once. This didn't stop me from getting fat, mind you, which is why I'm on MFP now!

I do encourage you to play around with your meals and see what works and doesn't work. And be ready for the idea that things may well continue to change over time (hopefully for the better).

Feel free to friend me, if you'd like.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    <
    gallbladderless and happier without it. I haven't had any problems with out mine. I wish I had some advice for you.. but I don't.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 4 years ago, and find that when I eat particularly fatty foods I have major stomach issues. I used to have emergency situations at least once a week. Now that I am eating healthy my problems have definitely subsided. Since I started watching what I was eating again in November, I've only had 2 or 3 emergencies in 4 1/2 months.

This exactly. If I know we're going to be going for fast food,I pop immodium before we leave or it will be horrible. I can't handle chips, fast food (McDonalds especially, 5 fries and I'm running for a bathroom) really heavy meals bother me, as does caffeine.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2001. The crazy thing is that since then i have stedialy gained weight. I have talked to others that have had theirs out also and most have had the same problem. My dr says he doesnt think it would cause weight gain but I beg to differ. The purpose of a gall bladder is to store bile to break down fatty foods. Well if we dont have them broke down then what happens? I am sure a large part is getting older and more sedintary but i still think it plays a roll.
    I have had a few episodes that feel like a gall bladder attack but im not sure what it was. I was in horrible horrible pain a few different times and it finally subsided and havent had anything lately but who knows!
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

This exactly. If I know we're going to be going for fast food,I pop immodium before we leave or it will be horrible. I can't handle chips, fast food (McDonalds especially, 5 fries and I'm running for a bathroom) really heavy meals bother me, as does caffeine.

I most definately do have that problem where anything I eat....esepcially fatty foods send me right the bathroom. maybe tmi but im just sayin :tongue:
  • Mellowmar98
    Mellowmar98 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 2 1/2 yrs ago and at first I really needed to watch what I ate, now I can eat certain foods in moderation.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 11 - i'm 32 now, no issues that i'm aware of, I don't have weight issues, I do sometimes have IBS type issues (maybe that's related) *shrugs* I think it's been such a long time for me that any issue would really seem pretty normal to me because I don't really remember what it was like before.
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    I eat all the same things as I did before having mine out. I do know that when I eat all that grease and spicy food, I better be home!!!!! Been 12 years now.
  • tracpo
    tracpo Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I most definately do have that problem where anything I eat....esepcially fatty foods send me right the bathroom. maybe tmi but im just sayin :tongue:

This as well - I find when I eat too fatty of a meal (or even a burger or steak) it causes major stomach issues. I also have it if something is too carb-heavy. Sometimes I eat the stuff and deal with the after effects but since I've focused on cleaner healthier eating again lately I don't seem to have as many problems.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Had mine removed about 7 yrs ago~ 6 months after having my son. Til this day "spicy" foods still bother me...uugghh!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Mine was removed with my spleen 27 years ago.
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    I had mine removed almost 20 years ago. For the first few years, foods high in fats caused extreme discomfort, especially if these foods were eaten for the first meal. Now, the only thing that bothers me is dairy products with the exception of lactose free and some fat-free dairy.
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Had mine out in the late 80s. Never had a problem eating anything, from day 1. Unfortunately! :wink:
  • x_biggirl
    x_biggirl Posts: 68
    Options
    Hiya,

I had my gallbladder removed two years ago, unfortunately docs had left it so long i got a liver infection. My doctor said that i was the youngest person he had ever done the procedure on for some reason that didn't scare me at all and i continued to eat bad up until joining MFP. However, I've been suffering with diarrhoea, sickness and intense abdominal pain after a bad weekend..the doctor kept telling me I had IBS but after doing my own research it's the fact that i don't have a gallbladder any more and when in taking all this sugar my body can't handle and that's how it will react from now on.
  • moglie1914
    moglie1914 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had my gallbladder removed almost 4 years ago now and it was really hard for me to eat the foods that i was use to eating and ended up losing quite a bit of wieght. Its really hard for your body to digest fatty food like meats and chineese food so I try to aviod greesy foods. I looked up online diets for people who dont have gallbladders and they recommend staying away from foods that come from animals cuz its hard on your body to digest it without a gallbladder.
  • csouto
    csouto Posts: 30
    Options
    I had mine removed 3 yrs ago, I never had stones but I could never eat lettuce. Since I had it taking out I haven't had any problems. Some times the lettuce still gets to me and fatty foods but I don't eat fatty foods often. So I guess my answer would be no I don't have any problems.
    Good luck to you and feel free to friend if you would like:)