Weight Training question

Options
How often should you changeup your training routine?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    We need more information.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    If you are always doing the same thing, consider every 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, muscle memory starts to get a firm grip and your workout starts to provide fewer results.

MHO
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If you are always doing the same thing, consider every 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, muscle memory starts to get a firm grip and your workout starts to provide fewer results.

MHO

That's why people stop being able to add weight to the bar after three weeks when doing Stronglifts or Rippetoe's programs. Because there's no MUSCLE CONFUSION!
  • nutandbutter
    Options

MHO

What? Are you not lifting progressively heavier loads to stimulate muscle growth? I've done the same routine for 7 months (compounds) and I'm still making gains. I'll change routines when I start to stall (not for a while yet).

OP, definitely need more info. What's your current routine?
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

MHO

What? Are you not lifting progressively heavier loads to stimulate muscle growth? I've done the same routine for 7 months (compounds) and I'm still making gains. I'll change routines when I start to stall (not for a while yet).

You see, you ARE changing it up by going heavier. Thanks for proving my point! :wink:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts says 12 weeks.

I think Lyle McDonald says 8 weeks.

I've heard that the "muscle confusion" idea is a myth.
  • EricDe90x
    EricDe90x Posts: 51
    Options
    Around 3 weeks.
  • EricDe90x
    Options

I've heard that the "muscle confusion" ides is a myth.
    Muscle confusion isn't a myth. If your body gets used to an exercise, it'll stop benefiting from the exercise. I've experimented with this myself. After running for a month, I gained 9 lbs of muscle. Then I hit a plateau. It's not like my legs would keep gaining weight if I kept doing the same thing over and over. It's proven by plateaus.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    As long as you're making progress, there's no need to change anything. When changes are necessary, the changes should be as minor as possible, never deviating from the basics.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Around 3 weeks.

Utter nonsense. It can take longer than that just to get comfortable with proper form on a new lift.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    After running for a month, I gained 9 lbs of muscle.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I've heard that the "muscle confusion" idea is a myth.
    StrongLifts actually just says to keep going 5x5 until you need to switch to 3x5 and 1x5 at higher weights. :drinker: And...9lbs in a month of running...that is ****ing hilarious. :laugh:
  • nutandbutter
    Options

MHO

You see, you ARE changing it up by going heavier. Thanks for proving my point! :wink:

:huh: Why did you not say change it by upping weight instead of making it sound like you scrap your whole program and start over? Also, I move up in weight a lot quicker than every 3 weeks (yes, I realize noob gains).
  • jgibson2
    jgibson2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Haha!!! Ditto! I have a friend who is training for a marathon and is already thin with a fast pace 6-7min mile. He's gained 10lbs he says but that it's "probably muscle". His best friend who is running with him says "yeah right, you had a whole pizza after last nights run". It's b/c you are overestimating how many calories you are eating!!!!! Duh
  • killagb
    Options

Haha!!! Ditto! I have a friend who is training for a marathon and is already thin with a fast pace 6-7min mile. He's gained 10lbs he says but that it's "probably muscle". His best friend who is running with him says "yeah right, you had a whole pizza after last nights run". It's b/c you are overestimating how many calories you are eating!!!!! Duh
    I think you mean...underestimating how much he's eating. Or overestimating how much is burned.
  • melanieparker13
    melanieparker13 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights for around 8 weeks now, i have upped the weight and the trainer added a few more exercises, I just wasn't sure if I should be changing anything.
  • jgibson2
    jgibson2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I think you mean...underestimating how much he's eating. Or overestimating how much is burned.

You're exactly right...what you wrote is what i meant to write.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
  • EricDe90x
    Options

It was cross country, so like 5 miles a day that was out of my comfort zone. And I didn't gain fat because I had somewhat of a belly before and that got more toned. My legs were sore every day, so there was muscle being gained. It might've been more like 6 weeks.
    Utter nonsense.
    I switch off every 3 weeks for muscle confusion purposes in P90X. I think 6-8 weeks is when you should definitely switch.
  • killagb
    Options
    It was cross country, so like 5 miles a day that was out of my comfort zone. And I didn't gain fat because I had somewhat of a belly before and that got more toned. My legs were sore every day, so there was muscle being gained. It might've been more like 6 weeks.
    Oh yeah, 9 lbs of lean muscle mass over 6 weeks....from running. Totally believable. Let me guess, you were probably eating a calorie deficit then too?