Calorie VS. Calorie?

Options
Hi everyone,

All I keep hearing about is how great Olive Oil and Avocados are for you. But one lousy tablespoon of olive oil is about 120 cals! (extra virgin). I have tried eating salads without olive oil or using very little, but I end up hating the taste. So my question is, is it better to eat let's say 400 calories of olive oil and avocado, or a slice of cheese pizza which is 400 calories? I obviously know that olive oil and avocado are much healthier for you, but will I get the same amount of weight loss? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Depends on the context.

For example, if you only had 30g of fat in your diet, the extra 20g of fat from olive oil would be the right choice. On the other hand, if your macros were in check, the rest of your diet was mostly whole and minimally proceed foods, including plenty of fruits and veggies, and you have been craving some pizza, then I think pizza would be the best choice.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do you like Italian dressing? If yes, go get some Good Season Italian dressing packets and a salad dressing cruet with water, oil and vinegar markings. Use half the amount of oil called for in the recipe on the packet, cutting it with water.

Less oily, tasty salad dressing. You can also achieve a similar thing by drizzling over your salad a tsp of EV olive oil, balsamic vinegar to taste and sprinkled seasoned salt and Mrs. Dash.

A whole tablespoon of olive oil on a salad would be pretty gross, I have to agree.
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The issue with eating 400 calories of pizza vs 400 calories of salad amount of food you get. 400 calories is 400 calories, regardless of the source. You can get 400 calories from just butter or sugar if you like, but you'll be a lot hungrier.

This only is looking at weight loss/gain, it does not take into affect other issues that can come up, such as insulin sensitivity, and other medical issues. Obviously you will also miss your micronutrients, and need protien for amino acid formation.
  • Fashionista012
    Fashionista012 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!