Implanon - Did this affect your weight loss?

Hi guys,

I have implanon, the contraceptive implant, and have done for the last 3years. Its now due to be changed next month and im a bit worried about how this will affect my weight loss. Has anyone else had theirs change mid way into their weight loss??

x

Replies

• britneyblonde
    britneyblonde Posts: 92 Member
    Bump
  • Gemp2307
    Gemp2307 Posts: 22 Member
    Hi, I also have implanon and I HATE IT. what is sad is I've hated it since I got it and am now due to have it removed also, lol, thats laziness for you. I was at my thinnest when I got it in, and I'm pretty sure I stayed quite thin for the first year, so I dont link it with my weight gain, but I'll be interested to see what people say, I cannot WAIT to get rid of mine!
  • spragukr
    spragukr Posts: 81 Member
    Hi, I also have implanon and I HATE IT. what is sad is I've hated it since I got it and am now due to have it removed also, lol, thats laziness for you. I was at my thinnest when I got it in, and I'm pretty sure I stayed quite thin for the first year, so I dont link it with my weight gain, but I'll be interested to see what people say, I cannot WAIT to get rid of mine!

I was just curious as to why you hate it? I am looking at switching either to the mirena or implanon because the pill gives me really bad migraines, and I can't make up my mind. So maybe if you tell me why you hate it, it will help me make my decision?
  • haycock86
    haycock86 Posts: 23
    I had the implanon fitted last July and by Christmas I had gained over 40lbs. I have also noticed other changes in my body such as having a period every 2 weeks which is extremely heavy, my sex drive has gotten lower and the mood swings are too much. I hate it that much that on the 22nd of this month I'm having it removed and I cannot wait. It just doesn't agree with my body at all, I'm sure I'm just part of the small minority who experience all these symptoms. I'm going to have the merina fitted. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
  • Gemp2307

I was just curious as to why you hate it? I am looking at switching either to the mirena or implanon because the pill gives me really bad migraines, and I can't make up my mind. So maybe if you tell me why you hate it, it will help me make my decision?

Ok, god i hope this thread stays between us gals, i hate it cos i get my period for WEEKS! like, my usual cycle is 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off. it drives me crazy. I should have gotten it out earlier but i just kept hoping that maybe next month I'll have a normal period, and now im due to get it out soon anyway so I figure I'll just wait. I know that this doesnt happen to everyone, I personally know two other people who have implanon, one- a friend, also had the exact same issues. The other, my sister, got hers in last summer and hasnt had a perion since! The other thing is, it is linked to ovarian cysts. Apparently some people are more prone to ovarian cysts but normal ovulation usually regulates them. However, implanon means you dont produce eggs at all.... so in my case, a tiny microscopic cyst grew to be the size of a grapefruit and resulted in the loss of an ovary :-( However, I worked with a girl who had the same operation, due to an enlarged ovarian cyst, and she didnt have implanon at all. So I'm not trying to scare you, and I know thousands of girls have no problems with implanon, but it just doesnt suit me :-(
  • Gemp2307
    also, yeah, definite lower sex drive:blushing:
  • laurenbausch
    laurenbausch Posts: 146
    Awful!!!! I gained 30 pounds in a little over a year. I was a depressed wreck and had very unhealthy thoughts. I would definitely think twice before getting Implanon. Worst decision I have EVER made. I'm now on Paragard IUD and am loving it.
  • Oohtobethin
    Oohtobethin Posts: 4 Member
    Bloody hell it did! I had Nexplanon the new one, and within a year my weight crept up by nearly 3 stone :| I was leading quite a healthy lifestyle (Going for frequent long walks, busy lifestyle etc) and eating the same amount of food I did before i had it, so I had quite a while putting my finger on it.
    I got it removed yesterday, and dropped 3 pound in 24 hours. Now if that's not related somehow I'll eat my shoe.
    It wasn't just weight gain though, I had bad depression with it, and also mood swings very much akin to Bi polar, extreme happiness and then really bad lows, plus the spots were horrendous! The only plus was no periods, but my sex drive dropped so much that it was pretty worthless anyway. My poor BF musta suffered bless him.

x
  • I have implanon and I have also had it changed midway through my weightloss - so it's not been too much of a problem for me. I think it depends on how you react to the Progesterone Only type of pill, whether this be the Mirena coil, Cerazette or the contraceptive injection. Some people lose weight, some people gain weight. Me personally? I've not seen any difference to how I was in the two years that I didn't have ANY contraception.

I'd say if you have had no problems so far then you should be absolutely fine.
  • Hi, I also have implanon and I HATE IT. what is sad is I've hated it since I got it and am now due to have it removed also, lol, thats laziness for you. I was at my thinnest when I got it in, and I'm pretty sure I stayed quite thin for the first year, so I dont link it with my weight gain, but I'll be interested to see what people say, I cannot WAIT to get rid of mine!

I love mine... I haven't gotten my period at all since it's been in there. I used to get migraines alllll the time. Now I got my implanon and I hardly get them at all. I haven't gained any weight either. I think it's just about finding what works for you. My doc had me get the depo for the first 6 months to see how I react to it before she put in the implanon. I ended up getting it after 3 months though, because my insurance was about to end, so I can't really compare whether or not it was a good test. :)
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Bloody hell it did! I had Nexplanon the new one, and within a year my weight crept up by nearly 3 stone :| I was leading quite a healthy lifestyle (Going for frequent long walks, busy lifestyle etc) and eating the same amount of food I did before i had it, so I had quite a while putting my finger on it.
    I got it removed yesterday, and dropped 3 pound in 24 hours. Now if that's not related somehow I'll eat my shoe.
    It wasn't just weight gain though, I had bad depression with it, and also mood swings very much akin to Bi polar, extreme happiness and then really bad lows, plus the spots were horrendous! The only plus was no periods, but my sex drive dropped so much that it was pretty worthless anyway. My poor BF musta suffered bless him.

x

I also have Nexplananon after having had 6 years worth of Implanon over two implants. SInce Ive been on Nexplanon I have gained 56lbs, which I'm now working off bit by bit.

Whilst I was in my 5th year of Implanon I had constant bleeding for about 11 months. the only thing that fixed it was having the Nexplanon put in.

I lost my sex drive when I first had the implant, but it's come back over the years.

I am due to have my Nexplanon changed in October 2014, and will still stay on the implant unless me and my partner are ready to have children. I get migraines so I'm limited to which pill I can use, I'm allergic to latex so condoms are out, and I was on the contraceptive injection for 5 years so I'm not allowed that any more due to the risk of brittle bones. I'm kind of limited now!
  • MrsKillough
    MrsKillough Posts: 30 Member
    I had Implanon for 6 years and it didn't affect my weight at all. Over that time I fluctuated between about 8.5-9.5 stone depending on how much rubbish I was eating and how much exercise I was doing.

It was replaced with Nexplanon in January of this year, and it's continued to not make any difference.