That ultra thin line between boredom and hunger

Options
I seem to hit this line a lot. I know I am not hungry and yet I wanna snack. My brain says entertain me...preferrably with food, especially the chocolate or sweet kind. I am drinking my water and chewing gum, but honestly...it is making me sick to my stomach. Anyone have a strategy for putting some distance between that line of hunger and boredom?

Replies

• Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear some strategies too! I just finished snacking on two servings each of carrots and sugar snap peas and I'm still wanting more!
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I have the urge to snack and have literally nothing to do to take my mind off of it I'll drink a liter or two of water. It always helps me curb the need to boredom binge, not to mention I'm getting fluids. Win win. :happy:
  • jadesaber
    Options
    I have had this problem too...then I found Paul McKenna he was on TLC...he gives some helpful tips on how to re-train your brain. It has helped me so maybe you should check him out!
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will look for him later today. Do you remember any of the tips he gave?
  • newtattie
    newtattie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Find something else to do with your hands - if they are active you can't snack - I found late last year when I was making a craft in time for Christmas that I just stopped snacking in the evenings. I would even fancy a snack or make a drink and forget to have it as I was concentrating.

Is there any craft you like to do/make, do a jigsaw, draw - anything?
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Options
    I love crafting, but I get bored the most when I am at work and it is slow. They don't like me crafting here...weird, I know (insert sarcasm font). The work can be tedious and repititious which is why I get bored. I love my job, and they have lots of tempting food around (which doesn't help define that line of boredom vs hunger). Great suggesstions though!
  • jadesaber
    Options
    I think that a lot of them were hand movements to retrain which side of your brain is thinking what...it sounds more complicated than it is for example you would tap the right temple a certain amount of times then you would tap your chest a certain amount of times then you would tap something else....(i just can't remember). This does help...I know that it sounds weird...but it gets those synapses in your brain to focus on something else and your not hungry any more
  • lvng_lf
    lvng_lf Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I took up knitting. the "not much talent needed for scarfs" knitting. I have taken it everywhere with me and I even noticed I pay attentioin better if my hands are doing something!! haha:) It would be hard at work tho...the nice thing is if your knitting a scarf you can pretty much mindlessly start and stop at random and you then have homemade, functional christmas gifts in the end!!
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, I fall victim to this ALOT however I am starting to notice and put a stop to it.

I keep a bottle of water by my desk and sip it frequently, which keeps me busy drinking it and walking to the water cooler and bathroom (and breaking up sitting time is good). Also keeping big containers of gum close by and chew a piece...sometimes I go through 10 or so a day so buy in bulk. :)

But I think being aware of it helps alot....now if we could only solve boredum....*sigh*
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I love crafting, but I get bored the most when I am at work and it is slow. They don't like me crafting here...weird, I know (insert sarcasm font). The work can be tedious and repititious which is why I get bored. I love my job, and they have lots of tempting food around (which doesn't help define that line of boredom vs hunger). Great suggesstions though!

This is me too! I don't have that trouble anywhere else but work. And I do drink lots of water too!
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Boy, me too. Can you just try to make sure to bring your own healthy/low-calorie snacks to work, so that you stay away from what is around the office? Popcorn is a pretty good snack because a 100-calorie bag is still quite a lot of popcorn. Eat it slowly it could last you a while.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue. Another one is deciding if you're stomach is rumbling because you;re hungry, or thirsty. When I can stop myself and ask, "am I really hungry?" I can usually let 30 minutes go by, or take a walk and if I'm still hungry after I'll eat something. Usually you're just bored and find that you aren't as hungry as you thought you were after a walk.
  • samanthagreen3
    samanthagreen3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    sugar free jelly! almost calorie free!! it sets quicker than normal jelly and i love jelly. i've also got low calorie ice lollies from tesco!
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Options
    Popcorn is a pretty good snack because a 100-calorie bag is still quite a lot of popcorn. Eat it slowly it could last you a while.

Popcorn would be good except I have braces and I am not supposed to have it. I am really not trying to throw up road blocks here.

For the record....I didn't cave. I did very well actually. I ended the day under my calorie goal and lost a little weight. That alone is a success.