That pain in your side while running...

Options
Just curious if anyone can tell me what causes that stitch of pain in your side that you get when you're running, as in a physiological cause.... Is it a harmless thing that you should just push through, or is it a sign that you are overexerting yourself?

Just wondering :)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    side stich. you need to take deeper breaths. i used to get them often before i started running a lot in college and learned about effective breathing.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Controlling your breathing can help prevent / relieve those. I usually slow down to walking when I get them. It is incredibly painful to push through and I assume (no medical experience here) that it can't be good to feel that much pain.

I use this method, 2 / 2. I take two steps breathing in, the next two steps I spend breathing out. This changes with your pace or stride. I am learning to increase my stride so that my pace can stay the same without hyperventilating.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    a side stitch is caused by stretching the ligaments that extend from the diaphragm to the internal organs, particularly the liver. The jarring motion of running while breathing in and out stretches these ligaments. most people exhale as the left foot hits the ground, but some people exhale when the right foot hits the ground. It is the later group who seem more prone to get side stitches. Exhaling when the right foot hits the ground causes greater forces on the liver (which is on the right side just below the rib cage). So just as the liver is dropping down the diaphragm raises for the exhalation. It is believed this repeated stretching leads to spasms in the diaphragm.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    a side stitch is caused by stretching the ligaments that extend from the diaphragm to the internal organs, particularly the liver. The jarring motion of running while breathing in and out stretches these ligaments. most people exhale as the left foot hits the ground, but some people exhale when the right foot hits the ground. It is the later group who seem more prone to get side stitches. Exhaling when the right foot hits the ground causes greater forces on the liver (which is on the right side just below the rib cage). So just as the liver is dropping down the diaphragm raises for the exhalation. It is believed this repeated stretching leads to spasms in the diaphragm.

Interesting. I do only get side stitch on my right side. Tonight I'll pay attention to how I'm running, and try the 2/2 as mentioned above.

Thanks OP for the question, and thanks for the responses!
  • kschmi24
    kschmi24 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Interesting! I get them occasionally and end up running with my arm bent up over my head. That and concentrating more on breathing tends to help me ease the pain.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I get that too here and there, if I'm too full or drank too much water prior........
  • NamsdnaL
    NamsdnaL Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I read an article in a running magazine that said that many people use the 2/2 method of breathing. They suggested inhaling thru your nose for THREE breaths and exhaling thru your mouth for 2 breaths. That mixes up the pattern b/c it is an odd number. I have always had trouble with my breathing while running & this has really helped me. I feel like I get more air. Plus...I have to concentrate more on my breathing, which helps too...
  • mlrosa123
    mlrosa123 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ah.... Great.... I get this too. Thanks!
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    wait which pain... my whole body hurts when i run!!!! hahaha
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

Huh, in school I was told it was caused by two membranes rubbing together. One covers the lungs, the other the inside of the rib cage. Between them is usually a fluid. But when you breathe unevenly, things move and the two touch, causing the pain.
    The subject was taught in german, so don't ask me to translate or elaborate pls :tongue: research it and tell me how off my memory really is :wink:

With C25K I haven't had a stich in my side at all. (4 weeks and counting) I breathe in through my nose for 2 steps, then out through my mouth for the next 2. Works for me just fine :happy:
  • Bunn11
    Bunn11 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i read that it was to do with taking too shallow breaths & have seen suggestions about regulating your breathing with your steps (as above) but I'm a bit too uncoordinated!! I've tried to do a sort of circular breathing ie in through my nose & out through my mouth to help me focus on breathing steadily & not shallowly it seems to have worked (so far only on wk 4 of c25k so no expert -lol!)
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I would slow down.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome responses! I will try that breathing pattern that you guys mentioned. Honestly, this week was my first time getting the side stitch since starting C25K 4 weeks ago...and I appreciate all of the feedback! You guys ROCK!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

That's so interesting! I guess it would follow that lefties are more prone to it, which I am a leftie, and they were always horrible for me...

The way I have always fixed it has been to raise my elbows above my head, which I suppose would be taking the strain off those ligaments.
  • andrearaquel48
    andrearaquel48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I found if I drink much water before running I can get that stitch. What takes care of it for me is breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth.
  • roddi7997
    roddi7997 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to get them all the time when I first started running...concentrate on your breathing and slow down a bit until you can run comfortably without pain