Confession :(

Options
So I've managed to lose 24 pounds without exercising at all, which I know is not the way to go but I really hate working out. (Okay I don't really hate it once I'm doing it or once I'm done, I actually really like how it makes me feel.) The problem is I CAN NOT get myself motivated to actually do it. My schedule is pretty hectic (excuses, excuses) so really the only time I have to exercise is in the mornings and I am NOT a morning person. I'm stuck at 200 lbs so I'm thinking the only way to get the last 21 pounds off is to dare I say....exercise :sad:

Is there anyone else out there who can't seem to find the motivation to exercise but still does it? And if so, how do you get into the routine of an exercise program?

Replies

• Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I get my excerise in where I can, I know if I have to dedicate an hour every night I might not be able to do that. So I walk when I get to work in the morning(I car pool with my bf so I get here early) then on lunch I go for half an hour, at night I walk for as long as I have the time whether that be an hour or just 15 minutes!
    My advice is to at lest get in a lunch time walk if you can, you'd be surprised what half an hour can do!!
  • OhLaceyOh
    OhLaceyOh Posts: 30
    Options
    iM NOT A MORNiNG PERSON EiTHER.
    i LOVE HOW iT FEELS AFTER A WORKOUT.
    bUT CAN NEVER GET MYSELF TO DO IT.
    SOMETiMES I HAVE TO FORCE MYSELF.

iF I CANT EXCERCISE I TRY AND GO OUTSIDE
    TO SET SOME ACTIVITY. OR I DO EXCESIVE CLEANING LOL

BUT IF I HAVE OT FORCE MYSELF.
    I GO IN MY ROOM AND LOCK THE DOOR.
    SO IM NOT TEMPTED TO STOP./

AND U I TURN MY MUSIK UP REAL LOUD SO I CANT THINK TO GET MYSELF OUT OF IT..
    AND 80 % OF THE TIME IT WORKS
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME :grumble: I have 2 kids under 3, a full time job & a stay at home dad for a husband so no funds for a gym membership. I feel guilty when I want to exercise after work b/c he's already been with teh kids ALL day long. And by the time they are in bed I just have gone so far past wanting to work out. I am the polar opposite of a morning person. Suggestions would be lovely. I've lost a total of 44lbs without exercise (12 since joining MFP). Help!:ohwell:
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    Yes mam....4 mornings a week and 3 afternoons a week....I just don't let myself think about not wanting to do it. I know it makes me feel better and I know that it has to be done and thats that!

If you sit and dwell on "i don't wanna exercise today" or " I don't feel like walking today" you talk yourself out of doing it.....

I have been in a really bad spot the last two weeks (depressed) but I still went....its just my routine.:flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    You've really really got to push yourself, but I PROMISE once you get started and get used to exc. it will become a lot easier to get motivated
    I still need a good kick in the *kitten* somedays but once I get started working out, I usually push myself and do more than I anticipated

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • joolesh
    joolesh Posts: 26
    Options
    ME ME ME :grumble: I have 2 kids under 3, a full time job & a stay at home dad for a husband so no funds for a gym membership. I feel guilty when I want to exercise after work b/c he's already been with teh kids ALL day long. And by the time they are in bed I just have gone so far past wanting to work out. I am the polar opposite of a morning person. Suggestions would be lovely. I've lost a total of 44lbs without exercise (12 since joining MFP). Help!:ohwell:
    [/quote

Turn your workouts into a family outing, all of you can go for a walk or when you come home from work turn on some music, turn it up and dance in the living room with everyone. Look for ways to be active that include the family and make great memories for the kids. Excercise does not have to be a hard sweat for an hour a day. A 20 minute walk here and there do jumping jacks during the commercial breaks if your watching tv. It will progress to a point that you want the hard sweat, you want to do it. It just takes time.:wink:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I remember being exactly where you are!

Especially in the beginning, I really need motivation to exercise. So I hired a trainer. I couldn't skip the gym if someone was expecting me to be there :laugh: I'm not going to lie, it was hard to make that commitment, I have a busy schedule too. I commute 1.5 hrs each way to work everyday. But by the time my 40hrs with him were through, not only had I learned a lot about exercise and nutrition but I found I actually did enjoy working out. Also, I realized that all my former excuses were just that... excuses, and that in order to get and stay healthy that I had to make exercise a priority and make time for it.

Hiring a trainer might not be the right decision for you, but my suggestion is to make someone hold you accountable and help you not give in to the excuses. That might mean finding a workout buddy or simply asking your hubby or a friend to nag you and help you stay on track :laugh:

You can do it. And you already know how great it feels after a workout. Try to find some activities you enjoy and don't be afraid to try new things :flowerforyou:

Besides losing the unwanted pounds you will feel better, have less stress, and get sick less often. And hopefully have fun in the process!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    One other piece of advice. Try to make exercise part of your regular rountine. Some easy ways to do that are to go to group exercise classes, go after work on your way home (or before) or another thing I do is my cardio during certain tv shows. I watch the shows while I use my exercise bike. Helps to keep my mind off the hard work.
  • fitzio1015
    fitzio1015 Posts: 168
    Options
    try to do things that are not really "exercise" do you like to dance?.....i do so i put some music on and i dance around my house i even grap my dog and make her dance with me or my son ( although he thinks i am crazy)..and trust me before you know it your sweating and your heart rate is up....after i do that i always feel sexier and i have more energy....i hate the word exercise it sounds like work or a chore..... there are so many things that your could do that is not exercise......when i go walking sometimes i take my camera i love to take pictires of flowers and things like that....and there is a park about 2 miles up the road that has beautiful flowers so i have to walk 2 miles to get there take my pictures and walk the 2 miles back......now that is fun for me.....just try to find something that is not work but is fun.....good luck to you
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person either but that's the only time I have to exercise. You might try working toward a goal like entering a fun run/walk. That was my goal when I started walking outside last summer. I started walking, then jogged some, walked some and now I am actually running. Our fun run was cancelled due to weather last month but I'm planning on entering another one in October so there's no down time.

The other plus of making myself get up in the morning and exercise...I'm down from a size 18 last summer to a size 12 right now. The more sizes I drop, the more weight I lose, the more I can make myself get up.
  • MDF08
    MDF08 Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes mam....4 mornings a week and 3 afternoons a week....I just don't let myself think about not wanting to do it. I know it makes me feel better and I know that it has to be done and thats that!

If you sit and dwell on "i don't wanna exercise today" or " I don't feel like walking today" you talk yourself out of doing it.....

I have been in a really bad spot the last two weeks (depressed) but I still went....its just my routine.:flowerforyou:

Yup, when you don't give yourself a way out, then you can't chicken out and say it's because your busy. You just do it. :flowerforyou:
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have those days sometimes too, and quite honestly, I think we all do. I am more of a morning person (weird I know), but I think a lot of that has to do with being in the military where it is required of us to get up at the butt crack of dawn and PT our *kitten* off:tongue: The things that keep me motivated, are thinking about how awesome my body is going to look after I workout, and stick with it. The other thing is not to look at your body in a negative light, because all it is going to do is bring down your morale and make working out no fun at all. Actually, when I am working out, I picture myself as a bada$$ who can conquer the world (even though I am not), and it just keeps me motivated and coming back for more.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have so many excuses to not work out (3 kids, 2 puppies, a full time career, and husband who works opposite hours as me, and a house we bought last year with oodles of remodel projects underway to name the biggies). I have been overweight for a good bit of years now and finally had just had enough of it. I had to literally MAKE myself do it. Some nights it meant no lounging for my half an hour before bed, or it meant that the dishes had to wait - but whatever the case was I made sure that I stuck to working out two days a week - for a half an hour. When I made myself do it I felt so good about myself for doing something positive. Once I got in the habit the motivation came from the results (weight loss plus feeling good about myself). Whatever it takes for you to get in the habit - JUST DO IT! The rest will come........Best of luck to ya! :flowerforyou: