Zig Zagging Calories?

Options
I've set my daily goal calories at 1700, per the nutritionist's recommendation, but am stuck. I have my diary open and would welcome any advice. I've heard of some people zigzagging their calorie goals, and that sometimes you need to "shock" your system. Thoughts on this? Thanks for taking a look!

Replies

• MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by zig zagging but I vary my intake daily, some days very low and some days very high. I don't like to stick to a set limit everyday as I worry that my body will get used to it. I like to keep it on it's toes.
  • houseofcarpenter
    houseofcarpenter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think zigzaging works well as far as i can tell, i haven't done it, but maybe you need to up your exercise or add in some weight training - or you could try changing your macros to have 40% carbs -30% protein -30%fat. this is what I'm trying at the moment good luck
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've read some posts where people vary their calorie goals up and down to, like you said, keep the body on it's toes! I like the idea, just wondered if it might help.
  • MissCheese
    Options
    I've been losing 2 lbs every week but I cannot say whether that's because of the varied calorie intake or not as I haven't plateau'd yet. Will be interesting to see what others say.
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great job on your loss!
  • MissCheese
    Options
    Thanks x
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done this. When I was on Weight Watchers it was commonly called the Wendy Plan. Basically what you do is end up with the same weekly calories, but vary them. So for you at 1,700 per day recommended by your nutritionist... 1700 x 7 days per week = 11,900 cals in a week. Usually with Wendy plan you have 3 days per week at those cals (1700), 2 days per week considerably lower (maybe...1300?) and then 1 day much higher using the cals left from those 2 days so... 400x2 = 800... 1700+800 = 2,500.
    Ideally, each week you mix up which days these each fall on as well so your high/low days are varied each week.
    Keep in mind this has no account for your exercise, so if you happen to exercise a lot on a 1300 calorie day.. you'd still eat more to compensate for your exercise that day. I haven't been doing this currently but I will when I hit a plateau. When I did it with WW I was counting "points" not calories, but this ALWAYS worked to get me through a stall point. Best of luck!!!
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was on a 3 month plateau & started zig zagging my calories & have lost 7 lbs in 3 wks, it really worked for me! I would for sure give it try!