Running, does it burn more calories then v fast walking?

Options
I mean significantly more, cos I am sure it does burn more. I walk 5 miles in 60 mins.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    5 miles of walking burns about the same calories as 5 miles of running.
  • AislingRA
    AislingRA Posts: 56
    Options
    Omg, really?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Omg, really?

Gosh, Like, totally!

Pretty close, at least. Obviously not perfectly the same.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    No, not really. Running has more up and down motion of your body than walking, so therefore requires more calories over the same distance.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It's actually interval training that burns the most calories (for me at least). Varying pace (and heart rate) gets the most burn.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Depends how fast you are walking.

Running also takes less strides over the same distance. Really, if you control for pace, it's about the same.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Walking 5 miles in 60 min is a 12 min/mile pace. Not too shabby.

5 miles of running at a 9 min pace is 45 min.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    5 miles of walking burns about the same calories as 5 miles of running.

OMG not really. If you compare race walking to slow jogging then maybe but, on average running burns 50% more calories per mile than walking does (to the OP - if you're walking at 5mph the gap will be smaller)

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
  • AislingRA
    Options
    The OMG was tongue in cheek :laugh: but am loving the reaction!

So, running burns more?

Am still confused. But the other point to make I suppose is that I wouldn't be able to run 5 miles, hmm what to do.
  • TaylorRenee09
    Options
    Start building yourself up to running...
    Take it slow and easy, you will eventually become a "runner"!! :)
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options

So, running burns more?

Am still confused. But the other point to make I suppose is that I wouldn't be able to run 5 miles, hmm what to do.

C25k! Couch to 5k! Theres apps for your phone! Or check it out online! Good program am on week three!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

So, running burns more?

So was mine!

If you're already walking 5 miles in an hour you're already faster than some runners I know.

If you want to start running (and not everybody does - I'm a big believer in people doing things they actually enjoy, not what someone else tells them they should be doing) you could ease into it quite gently.

If you're wearing walking shoes get a pair of running shoes that fit your properly. On your next walk go 10 minutes and then run (at a low pace) 1 minute and repeat. Do this for as long as you feel necessary before increasing the running to 2 minutes and walking 9 minutes and so on until you're running 10 and walking 1.

When you can comfortably run 10 minutes start adding time going to 15 and then 20 minutes - walk for 1 minute if needed. Your progression is entirely up to you, if you prefer to stay at a 10 /1 ration that's fine - I've seen people put in pretty impressive race times suing this method. Do what works for you & have fun!
  • AislingRA
    Options
    Oh great stuff. Is it easy to follow? I have heard of it but never tried it. That is re c2 5k
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    depends! If I run/or jog rather at 5.8 mph I burn the same as I would if I walked on a high incline at 3.5 mph
  • AislingRA
    Options

So, running burns more?

So was mine!

If you're already walking 5 miles in an hour you're already faster than some runners I know.

If you want to start running (and not everybody does - I'm a big believer in people doing things they actually enjoy, not what someone else tells them they should be doing) you could ease into it quite gently.

If you're wearing walking shoes get a pair of running shoes that fit your properly. On your next walk go 10 minutes and then run (at a low pace) 1 minute and repeat. Do this for as long as you feel necessary before increasing the running to 2 minutes and walking 9 minutes and so on until you're running 10 and walking 1.

When you can comfortably run 10 minutes start adding time going to 15 and then 20 minutes - walk for 1 minute if needed. Your progression is entirely up to you, if you prefer to stay at a 10 /1 ration that's fine - I've seen people put in pretty impressive race times suing this method. Do what works for you & have fun!

Thank you so much, will try this.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

So, running burns more?

C25k! Couch to 5k! Theres apps for your phone! Or check it out online! Good program am on week three!
    YES!! What she said! I started C25K, and started out not being able to jog for a minute straight. I can now do 10 minute intervals, and I will eventually work up to 20 or more! I am only on week 5 :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, for the most part, running burns more, but when you start getting into speed-walking that's as fast as some folks run, it burns about the same amount. IIRC, super-fast walking burns more than slow running at the same pace?
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    depends! If I run/or jog rather at 5.8 mph I burn the same as I would if I walked on a high incline at 3.5 mph

It certainly would be interesting to compare. How steep an incline?
  • Devonanne
    Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Probably depends a lot on how efficient you are at running. If you've been running for years, your body can do it easily and your heart rate will not go as high. For me, running always has a higher calorie burn as my heart rate is up quite a bit higher than if I fast-walk. I am getting more efficient at running, but at this point I always burn more running.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump