Keratosis Pilaris

Options
sdrawkcabynot
sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
Does anyone else have suffer from KP on their arms? For those that don't know... it's the little red bumps that are on your upper arms and can sometimes be on your thighs. They almost look like goosebumps.

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I don't "suffer" from it but then again I don't usually go sleeveless so... LOL It was a lot worse when I was younger. Pretty annoying sometimes though!!

Here's an article for the curious individual... http://www.medicinenet.com/keratosis_pilaris/article.htm
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I have it mixed in with eczema ... so not fun.
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Did not know there was a name for it!!!:ohwell: Now I will have to google it....But yes I have them, more on one arm than the other.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I do and I hate it. I've been forced to buy this semi-expensive lotion for it that works moderately well (probably would work better if I was consistent about it).

Having a tan helps :)
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have it from time to time on my arms and thighs - including now. Ugh. The sun and exfoliation help, as does Am-Lactin lotion - it has a special acid in it that dissolves the bumps. Sadly, it's kind of hard to find.
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, good to know... Mine has never been really bad and never really bothered me aesthetically since I usally wear t shirts and they usually cover it. But good to know a few different things to try to make it less noticeable. Thanks!!:drinker:
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I have it - I've tried creams and things, but nothing has really helped. It does get less noticeable in the summer though, when my skin is darker.

It also looks a little better on my new smaller arms :)
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yep. I find that it's slightly better when I get some sun but since skin cancer runs in my family I try to avoid doing that. Nothing else has helped though.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes, I even get it on my lower arms....:( BOO

SO, my treatments so far are Cetafil Skin Restoring Wash and Moisturizer and extra fish oil. Helps with skin dryness. Also moisurizing when you first get out of the shower so your pores are all opened up for the moisture. stay away from scented cremes...
    good luck!

oh and It's genetic.....so you probably have a parent who has it.....and if you have kids...they will probably have it...yay!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Coconut oil and/or a lotion with Hyaluronic Acid in it.

Completely changed my skin from a dry itchy bumpy mess to something smoother with not so many bumps and itches!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I had KP on my arms really bad as a teenager and into my 20s. It started to clear up in my 30s and now at 42 my arms are smooth and clear. I still have it on my thighs though. It gets worse in the winter and clears up a little in the summer, especially when I get some sun on my legs. My dermatologist says there's really nothing that will really ever make it totally go away. :-(
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have it on arms, legs, and it's worst on my *kitten* :|

I think it may have improved in recent years, but I still HATE it.

I hate being in crowds as gigs/clubs when my arms brush against someone elses. I never get my legs out, partly because of weight but hugely due to my skin ):

I hate it
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i will say that tanning definitely helps - but I gave up the tanning bed a couple of years ago. I may have to make some random visits this spring to see if it clears it up. It usually gets better in the spring and summer, but I am having some minor flare ups that are working my nerves!
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used to have it all over my upper chest, my entire stomach area, and my arms and some random patches on my legs. I started wearing lotion (hate the stuff) and they went away fairly quickly.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My sister has pretty severe KP on her arms and legs – she uses medicated lotion, which seems to help. I only have a little; I don't really notice it.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options
    What kind of lotion do you guys/your sister use?

The stuff my doctor gives me has never seemed to help!

Also, I just don't tan, like, at all, which sucks, because it does make sense that it would help ):

I've tried covering up with fake tan - but fake tan doesn't stick to some parts of my skin! D:
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Also, I just don't tan, like, at all, which sucks, because it does make sense that it would help ):

I've tried covering up with fake tan - but fake tan doesn't stick to some parts of my skin! D:

If it's really severe you can start with a 100% cocoa butter stick to see results super fast. But as for lotions aim for those high moisture lotions (which also tend to be the more expensive ones :/ ) like Lubriderm.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options

If it's really severe you can start with a 100% cocoa butter stick to see results super fast. But as for lotions aim for those high moisture lotions (which also tend to be the more expensive ones :/ ) like Lubriderm.

taaaa