NO Weightloss

Options
Is there such a thing as exercising to much, I have not lost any weight and I go to the gym for two hours in the morning and two hours at nite, I also do 30ds and I am now just starting insanity. I do this everyday but no weight loss:explode:

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    we'd have to see what your eating to get the full picture
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    how many cals do you eat?
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    How long have you been doing all of this as well i have been plateaued for two months so i feel ya
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yea along with what your eating, what you are actually doing at the gym, just because you are there for 4 hrs a day doesnt mean you are efficiently working out and burning calories, and since you are there for 4 hrs a day i would say you are not doing something right work out wise
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    not so much working out too much but if you're working out that much and not eating back some of those calories you're burning you wont lose as quickly as you hope
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    we'd have to see what your eating to get the full picture

This...and as well track more than the scale track inches and how your clothing fits as well;)
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    Is there such a thing as exercising to much, I have not lost any weight and I go to the gym for two hours in the morning and two hours at nite, I also do 30ds and I am now just starting insanity. I do this everyday but no weight loss:explode:

You should eat more, more than likely you are experiencing a plateau due to not eating nearly enough for the amount of calories you are burning. Also, why do you do that much work? I spend two hours at the gym on a good day but most days it is an hour. I can't imagine my body on more than two hours in one day.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    opening your diary would make it easier for people to respond helpfully. why are you exercising so much? it seems like that's excessive and not sustainable. over-exercising can set you up for an injury as well which would only serve to set you back even further.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think you are over exercising. No one really needs to be in the gym four hours a day. You could be working out more effectively in a shorter period of time. I'd probably go as far to say, if you aren't training for some special event, 90 minutes is probably more than enough time to meet your goals.

1. What are you doing while you are at the gym?
    2. When do you take rest days?
    3. How many calories are you eating daily?
    4. What kinds of foods are you eating?
    5. How long have you been doing this routine?
  • SuperSaiyanGoddess86
    SuperSaiyanGoddess86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i do the elliptical for 1hr the treadmill for 1hr and i do body pump and zumba classes along with another hr of treadmill. when i am on the treamlill i incline at 15 and do a speed of 3.4.
  • harrietk94
    harrietk94 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Sorry to here that all your hard work isn't paying off on the scales!

have you tried using the tape measure to see whether you've lost inches, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Looking at your diary you're eating pretty high calorie meals i.e. 700 cals! which is a lot for one sitting, try cutting it down to several smaller calorie meals and then your body won't feel like its over eating! :) also try and cut down on the sauce it can be full of sneaky calories and sugar!
  • SuperSaiyanGoddess86
    Options
    i workout everyday and i dont take rest days i am determined to loose this weight even though my legs are screaming stop, I cant. I eat 1500 cals a day and I normally burn off 800 to a 1000 so i will eat half of that back. I have been doing this for a month. Just added insanity into the mix. I know its alot of pressure on my body.
  • SuperSaiyanGoddess86
    Options
    :flowerforyou: ok thank you
  • SuperSaiyanGoddess86
    Options
    by the way i go to the gym two hours in the morning and two hours at night
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You are under eating and over training. If you're exercising for 4+ hours you need to eat WAY more than 1500 cals. I eat 1600 and go to the gym three times a week and am losing weight.

If you're not having rest days you're not letting your body get the benefits. You're muscles are holding onto water as well.

Add to that cardio is not the best way to lose weight. Lifting weights is. Cardio helps you create a deficit but the amount you're doing is creating too big a deficit.

You need to at least halve what you're doing. As another person said any more than 90 minutes is not worth it. I know you went to lose this weight but if you do it the way you're currently doing it you'll have to continue to do it this way for the rest of your life. Do you really want to spend four hours at the gym every day for the rest of you life?
  • Stephanie2167
    Options
    1. You are excercising way too much. How long will you be able to sustain that before you say "forget this" and stop all together.

2. What are you eating? That says a lot too.
  • MrsTWard
    MrsTWard Posts: 62 Member
    Options

WOW.,. i thought i was the only one. I am doing the 30DS ( I am on Day 14/level 2 & I have been doing this everyday since Mar 1) and I am also doing Zumba 5 days a week. I weighed my self on Day 10 & I lost 3lbs. My clothes are feeling a little loose but for some reason I am starting to feel a little discourage. I feel like I am doing something wrong when I see that people say you should eat back your exercised calories. I'm getting nervous because my next weigh in is on Day 20 & I hope I wont be disappointed. I plan to speak with my health coach @ work because all these websites are confusing me. Well I wish you the best in your weight loss journey.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    i workout everyday and i dont take rest days i am determined to loose this weight even though my legs are screaming stop, I cant. I eat 1500 cals a day and I normally burn off 800 to a 1000 so i will eat half of that back. I have been doing this for a month. Just added insanity into the mix. I know its alot of pressure on my body.

That is WAY TOO MUCH!!!!!

Rest days are required. You need the so your muscles can relax and rebuild.

We all want to be done with our weight loss journey as quick as possible, but over-exercising sets you up for failure in a lot of ways:
    1. you risk injuring yourself so you won't be able to do any exercise
    2. over-training is an unsustainable lifestyle change (are you going to have 4 hours a day to exercise for the rest of your life? Doubt it, you'll have other things to fill your time)
    3. when you are ready to maintain, your metabolism is going to be really confused, it is going to think you are training for the olympics, and you'll be just living regular life

Cut down your exercising to 5 days a week, and mix in hard workouts and easy workouts. You can't do 100% intense all the time. Take your rest days. Make 1 a complete rest day, and you can do light activity on the other one.

Weight loss is like a science experiment, you can't add in too many variables or it will be impossible to figure out what is working for you and what isn't. Right now you are doing every kind of workout out there all at once. Try 2 different things for the next 6 weeks, let's say alternate zumba class and the 30 day shred. Then when your body is used to your workout, try insanity and the treadmill for the next 6 weeks. Then compare, and see what gave you better results, or try a new combination.

Don't forget to eat enough to fuel your workouts. Insanity is really intense, you should probably eat at least 1800 calories on the days you do it.

Pick a sustainable goal: lose 1-2 pounds a week, and you'll be able to maintain for the long haul.
  • SuperSaiyanGoddess86
    Options

WOW.,. i thought i was the only one. I am doing the 30DS ( I am on Day 14/level 2 & I have been doing this everyday since Mar 1) and I am also doing Zumba 5 days a week. I weighed my self on Day 10 & I lost 3lbs. My clothes are feeling a little loose but for some reason I am starting to feel a little discourage. I feel like I am doing something wrong when I see that people say you should eat back your exercised calories. I'm getting nervous because my next weigh in is on Day 20 & I hope I wont be disappointed. I plan to speak with my health coach @ work because all these websites are confusing me. Well I wish you the best in your weight loss journey.

Thank you.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    is your body changing though?

it's possible with all that exercise you're experiencing initial muscle increase (ie weight gain) but also loosing lots of fat (weight loss) which results in no real change on the scale but huge changes in your body.

if you arent noticing those type changes then you're either eating more than you think you are or burning less than you think you are.

if it's the initial muscle increase then eventually you'll get to the stage where you'll need to workout much harder to gain muscle, so at that point you'll just be retaining muscle but shedding fat = changes on the scale

i dont necessarily think the amount you are working out a day combined with the amount of calories you're eating is causing you to not lose weight. after all that's essentially what those people on biggest loser do (eat at BMR and spend hours and hours a day working out) and they lose tons of weight fast. but definitely add in a rest day. listen to your body. better to take a rest day than to get an injury and be out for several days or even weeks

OH yeah, you also want to take your initial fitness level into account since the more efficient your body is at doing something the less calories you will need to do it. for instance although i'm 70 pounds overweight, i've always always worked out, lifted heavy and did something akin to HIIT. so the intensity of my workouts are going to need to be higher than someone else who's also 70 lbs overweight and never worked out a day in their life. so really, it's kind of impossible for someone who doesn't know you to look at your workout program and conclude that you're doing too much.