For those close to goal or met goal

Options
catramsey2
catramsey2 Posts: 24 Member
I am currently at 274 and need to lose down to around 140 or 130 ish. Just wondering how many of you have sagging skin and if this really corrects itself. I am terrified about this. Would love some feedback, if anyone is willing to share.

How bad is it. 9 times out of 10, will I most likely have to do a tummy tuck to fix? etc. etc.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    A year ago (approx) I would have told you that I was definitely wanting a tummy tuck. Most of the weight had come off, and I wasn't happy with my skin. Because of finances, I have had to wait. Now, I'm so glad I waited, because I have seen a lot of improvement, to the point where I do not want surgery anymore.

I took the weight off very slowly, and still it took almost a year to come back to the elasticity I now see. On this topic, patience is key.
  • catramsey2
    Options
    Thank you! That is very encouraging! Thank you for sharing.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I strted at 260 and once I got closer to 215- I started using Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Skin Firming for after pregnancy and weight loss- Ive lost almost 100 pounds and my skin is perfect :D

Dont worry- if you dont lose it too fast, and you actually take care of your skin and drink a couple bottles of water a da- you 'll be JUST FINE!!!
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    A year ago (approx) I would have told you that I was definitely wanting a tummy tuck. Most of the weight had come off, and I wasn't happy with my skin. Because of finances, I have had to wait. Now, I'm so glad I waited, because I have seen a lot of improvement, to the point where I do not want surgery anymore.

I took the weight off very slowly, and still it took almost a year to come back to the elasticity I now see. On this topic, patience is key.

Thank you so much for posting! I am so upset about my loose skin right now! You give me hope that with some patience, it may look better.
  • catramsey2
    Options
    I am 56 and been overweight for about 20 yrs. This worries me too about sagging skin.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was 212 two years ago and have lost 82 pounds since then. The only place I have sagging skin is my stomach but it is going away slowly!! I reiterate whoever said it, you need to be patient. I think the fact that I lost the weight 1-2 lbs a week at a time was helpful. Good luck!

- JoAnna
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it can take as much as two years for the skin to catch up as much as it's going to. (Heard this on the internet, though, lol, so I guess we should take it with a grain of salt.) As I understand it, genetics will definitely be a contributing factor, but I've heard like other people have suggested that drinking water helps. Don't know about any sort of product and whether it really helps or not or if it's simply the people who already have elastic skin who use the product and then think that it's the product that's responsible for their good results...

I've been overweight or obese since childhood, and with the 80 pounds I've lost so far (over a year), if I suck my tummy in as much as I can, the skin gets a little bit crinkly and there's a bit of a pooch at the bottom still. But it's improved loads from what it was, and I have high hopes that it's going to keep on improving. Patience is indeed the word of the day--and ultimately, while I have dreams of a flat tummy, I'd rather be healthy with a bit of sagging skin than obese with smooth skin.

Best of luck!
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    So far no sagging skin for me at all.

I have some things going for me though that others may not have, like my age for one. That and genetics are big factors I hear. But some things I made sure to do that I could control was losing a reasonable amount per week and strength training for the past 7 months. Supposedly two things that help prevent excess skin, among many other factors.
  • catramsey2
    Options
    I don't have to have a tight stomach, just don't want the excessive LARGE hanging skin that falls way down the body that you have to tuck in. That SCARES ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • yoovie
    Options
    o lord
  • catramsey2
    Options
    Yep. Seen it on TV. Not pretty and causes problems. Just wanted to know everyone's experiences. I was hoping the problems were in the minority.
  • yoovie
    Options
    only if you dont care for your skin and lose it way too fast :)

Ive lost almost 90 over 3 years and it happened at first but drinking enough water and eating really well made it shrink up perfectly.
  • catramsey2
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I am losing slowy. Not that I want to, but it want it is. Eating right and exercising is the way I going.
  • yoovie
    Options
    AND MOISTURIZING
  • madeinforks
    madeinforks Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    if you do some weight training as well as cardio as you lose you should be fine..it will tighten and tone as you go..
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!