Trying to leave Ballys

Options
Does anyone know how to get out of Ballys. Or has anyone successfully done so? I have a so-called month to month thing with them but they automatically take out the money from my bank account. I have read the back of the contract and it states that I would have to move to where there is no Ballys with in 20miles or die to get out of it. This seems so wrong for having a month to month contract. I have the equipment I used there now at home. My kids HATE going and cry as soon as I leave them in the child care. I spend more time walking back and forth to calm them down compared to actually getting fit. Anyone's insight would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    Check out some of the reviews on this site, they talk about canceling your membership. Sounds like it's a pain, but doable.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bally-total-fitness-fremont
  • sondyscraps
    sondyscraps Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    thanks I will check it out... The one other part I left out is they charge you to cancel too! Anything and everything to get money out of you... with no guarantee that you are out. Thank you for looking that up!
  • Jenm126
    Jenm126 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had to call the 1-800 number and then send them a certified letter. It was a pain that took 2 months in which time they were able to charge me for those 2 additional months. Good luck :)
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem with another gym. I sent them a certified letter then provided my bank a copy of that letter and told them I was not authorizing any more withdrawals out of my account from this organization. It seems to have worked. I haven't seen another charge come through since. Hope that helps.
  • surgesilk
    surgesilk Posts: 92
    Options
    Close your account at the bank.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Could you call your bank and tell them not to process the fee? If you don't pay, you can't get into the gym.
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing with planet fitness. I have learned to buy prepaid cards for this kind of stuff. That way I can not put money on it and get out one way or another. It can mess with your credit but if I cancel and you still charge then thats what you get. I also use them to order on line and over phones. That way if someone steals my credit card info its as easy as not adding any more money to the card. I also have sucky credit so just not paying for the gym aint hurting my score of like negative 5000000000. lol
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Have you spoken to someone at the front desk? They should be able to print out a cancellation letter which you just need to sign and mail to head office.
  • VIVIANROBIE
    Options
    I was with Bally's in Washington state. What happened was Bally's went bankrupt and sold to LA Fitness so now I'm a member of LA Fitness which is a top notch gym. I don't know what is happening with the Bally's in your state but they are having serious financial problems. I have even heard of former members of Bally's sueing Bally's for over charging them on their account. I would just call and cancel then change your credit card that you have a account with them so that they will not have your credit card on file. I wish you the best of luck with this.
  • sondyscraps
    Options
    I had to call the 1-800 number and then send them a certified letter. It was a pain that took 2 months in which time they were able to charge me for those 2 additional months. Good luck :)

They did stop charging you after though? Did you have to pay a cancellation fee? I don't seem to think that it is right that I will be charged a cancellation fee if I am not on a contract but rather month to month.
  • sondyscraps
    Options
    I had a similar problem with another gym. I sent them a certified letter then provided my bank a copy of that letter and told them I was not authorizing any more withdrawals out of my account from this organization. It seems to have worked. I haven't seen another charge come through since. Hope that helps.

I am hoping that will work since I don't want to be sent to collections and have my credit ruined over some gym.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That's why stuff like that should go on credit cards....easier to dispute the charge. However, if you're on month to month, they usually require a 60 day written notice (sent certified and even signature delivery to cover yourself) so they can get 2 extra months out of you. Good luck getting any money back they over charged you though.