Protein shake substitute?

Options
I just bought the "measure up" cafe latte flavour meal replacement shake mix tub from asda for £4. Apparently it has whey protein in it, and is 203 calories per serving, 18.1 protein, 21.6 carbs (5.2 of which sugars).

Is this any good as a substitute for the expensive (£29.99) whey protein tubs i see down at my local gym?

Replies

• afj89
    afj89 Posts: 17
    Options
    The tubs may be £30, but you get a lot of protein for your money and when you break it down, its actually pretty good value (compared to high protein foods, etc). Also, those tubs provide pretty much just pure protein with very little of anything else... The meal replacement will give you a fair few carbs and a bit of fat too, so it depends what you want exactly I guess,
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Sometimes I am under my protein for the day, and i work out pretty hard 5 - 6 times per week so i want it as a shake for after the gym, to up my protein etc.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for the tubs! a) it's much better value for money (if you do the math, you pay $1 per shake!), and b) the carbs in the 'measure up' shake are spookily high! 26.1 g carbs vs. 18.1 protein? :noway: That's a carb shake, not a protein shake! A good whey protein isolate (that's the type of stuff you get in the tubs) gives you 25+ protein and 0.5 to 1.0 carbs.

If I were you I'd check out the health/sports nutrition section at your drugstore and/or online suppliers. Chances are they're going to be a little cheaper than the gym. Also, Walmart has a brand called Body Fortress. I believe that's a whey protein concentrate, which isn't as pure as the isolate, but the protein content is still good and it costs only about $15 per 2 lbs tub.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Thanks Sabine. Wow that's some big difference in carbs!!!!:noway:

I'm in the UK so i believe our Asda IS Walmart.. but this stuff is the only protein shake thing they do, and the slimfast stuff which didn't look as good. Apparently holland and barret have a good alternative so i might try theirs and see how we go.

Anyone know any good places online to order, or what to look out for on ebay so i avoid fakes?
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sorry, for some reason the fact that you're in the UK went straight past me. One of those days... :ohwell: I'd say check out Boots--one of the larger stores. They definitely should have it.

I'd advise against eBay, because you really can't tell or control what you're getting. They could be selling you milk powder, for all you know.